Suggest an underrated movie

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Disclaimer: I tried to avoid anything too obscure, since it tends to be the case that the more obscure you get, the more a movie has to coincide with your tastes and I don't really know your tastes.

If you like documentaries (or really even if you don't), check out Helvetica and, especially, Objectified. The first is an entire movie about a single font (in the context of graphic design) and the second is about industrial design. Both are mind-blowingly great movies. They're from the same guy.

Lord of War was great (probably the best film Cage has ever made) and almost no one has seen it. A very darkly humourous beginning and a tragic, dramatic second half. It even manages to have an explicit, after-school-special style moral at the end without feeling forced.

Zardoz is a gem of a weird movie (it's basically summer blockbuster+hippie art film+Sean Connery with a ponytail and ridiculous mustache wearing nothing but a big red diaper...thing and awkward bandoliers) that most younger people don't even know exists. It's probably the only movie I know of that is somehow simultaneously legitimately good AND so-bad-it's-good.

Don Juan deMarco is one of my favourite movies with Johnny Depp, Faye Dunaway, and Marlon Brando. You cannot possibly feel bad after watching it. It's sort of a romantic comedy (in a relatively unconventional sense), but it remains great. Perhaps the greatest date movie ever created and a good movie for any time you feel like watching something light-hearted.

Obligatory Geek Choices That You Probably Already Know About:
Starship Troopers is clasically underrated, mostly because some critics SOMEHOW didn't get that it was a satire. Note that a lot of people think that calling it a satire is just an excuse, but, once they've actually seen it, it's BLINDINGLY obvious. Likely, critics went in expecting it to be a stupid, brainless action movie and it prevented them from actually understanding it at all. Additional note: NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART. That is one of the only movies I've ever seen that actually made me sick to my stomach.

Serenity.

Everything by Quentin Tarantino ever. A lot of his earlier stuff is less-well-known and all of it is worthwhile. Resevoir Dogs should be required viewing.

Both Boondock Saints movies are clasically underrated. They may not have intricate plots or particularly developed characters, but they ooze cool.

Vesaldius

Mar 11, 2011
Soldier
Big Trouble in Little China

Both Kurt Russell. You may be weirded out the first time through on Big Trouble.

Daniel Yarbrough

Apr 2, 2010
Also, ANY Cowen Brothers movie ever made... they are all AWESOME. Especially their earlier films, Raising Arizona, Fargo, etc.

WanderingBiscuits

Apr 19, 2010
Pleasantville is an indy classic that i've always been fond of. Also Pans Labyrinth is one of the best movies ever made but nobody ever seems to talk about it.

loserpersona

Mar 1, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
haha, i did actually watch that one, which boggled my mind even more since it had near zero relevance to the sequel..*laughing while facepalming*
I think it actually wasn't a sequel, just renamed Troll 2 in the US.
Because, you know, all the whole total of zero trolls in it made the naming obvious... :D

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days. A dark and subtle indictment of the bureaucratic police state.

jaketaz

Oct 11, 2010
I like "The Rundown" starring Sean WIlliam Scott and The Rock. It's a stupid movie, but it's also a lot of fun. Action movies these days are either super serious or just bad, and this one's a lot of fun and underrated.

I also like RocknRolla. It's one of those British Guy Ritchie gangster pics, but one of the better ones. Not as good as Snatch, better than some other though. It's a fun time.

Sep 14, 2009
loserpersona said:
gmaverick019 said:
haha, i did actually watch that one, which boggled my mind even more since it had near zero relevance to the sequel..*laughing while facepalming*
I think it actually wasn't a sequel, just renamed Troll 2 in the US.
Because, you know, all the whole total of zero trolls in it made the naming obvious... :D
ironically in today's modern use of the word "troll" it actually makes a ridiculous amount of sense..

still everytime i watch that movie i find some new idiotic detail to laugh at.

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
ShatterPalm said:

I gaurantee you, this movie will make you laugh your ass off.
Seconded, it's in my Netflix queue right now. Best seen in 3B.

Also, UHF and (oddly for me) Hudson Hawk. "It could happen!". Lol.

The Floating Nose

Dec 5, 2010
American Movie: A domumentary about a guy (Mark Borchardt) and his best friend who lives in a poor neiborhood and is trying to make a short film with the dream of becoming a famous filmmaker with everybody around him doubting his ability to do something good. A funny, charming and sometimes sad documentary.

I live in the province of Québec in Canada and (i don't wanna be cocky) but we make the best movies by FAR here are a few that you could (and i hope you will) check out:

-Mon Oncle Antoine
-C.R.A.Z.Y.
-Elvis Gratton
-Les Invasions Barbares (The Barbarian Invasions)
-Incendies

OptimisticPessimist

Nov 15, 2010
Legend of 1900 is great. There's a bit with Tim Roth playing piano while it's sliding about a ship's ballroom. It's kind of oddly beautiful.

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
jjboat said:
I'm looking for movies to watch that are underrated or under seen. I've seen thousands of movies, and most of the widely popular or mainstream films. Are there any films you consider to be very good that have gone under the radar?
Try "Ink" and "Lo" - amazing, obscure films.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ink_(film)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1047490/

Two of my all-time favorite little known movies.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008

Tuddle

Nov 12, 2009
Sucker Punch........What? Don't look at me like that, most of the world thinks it's underrated.

Varitel

Jan 22, 2011
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. It's a dark comedy directed by Stanley Kubrick and starring Peter Sellers and George C. Scott. Definitely one of those movies with a cult following, but is considered to be somewhat of a classic. On the off-chance that you haven't seen it, look it up.

P.S. "Scalable Thespean" is the best captcha ever.

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
I recommend this everything single time someone asks for movies but 'Sunshine' directed by Danny Boyle (28 Days Later, 127 Hours, Slumdog Millionaire) and starring Cillian Murphy and Chris Evans. I saw it in theaters way back in the day and it was amazing. It is still one of my favorite science fiction movies. Also, don't let Evans turn you off on this; he's really quite good.