Suggest PC games that can fill a Bloodborne-shaped hole in my heart, that aren't Dark Souls.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Two game suggestion requests in 4 days... I know how it looks and you really don't need to post a biting comment to make me realize that. All I want is your help and I sincerely hope you can provide it as effectively as you have in the past without making me feel like a piece of shit.

Anyway, for some time I've been watching the Super Best Friends play Bloodborne because my lack of PS4 doesn't let me enjoy the game on my own. However, the further they get into the game, the cooler it gets and the more I want to play it. Can you suggest any games for the MasterRaceStation I can play instead to fill the void this playthrough's been constantly widening?

The ideal option would be a carbon copy, but I know that's not possible. The closest thing to a carbon copy would be Dark Souls, methinks, but I don't really see myself wanting to do a 3rd playthrough of it, especially since I already know this game through and through. What I like about Bloodborne the most, though, is its atmosphere, so let's say it should be the main focus when choosing what game to recommend.. I really like its constant dark, brutal, and pessimistic feel, as well as From's take on Lovecraftian horror.

As for the gameplay part, I'm pretty flexible about it, as long as it's something resembling an action or an action-adventure game. The thing I don't want is to be completely defenseless against the enemies the game throws at me.

I've already asked around Reddit and got these games recommended:

- The Witcher 2
- Lords of The Fallen

So basically the same recommendations, as if I asked for something like Dark Souls. That's the reason I'm here making this thread and counting on you to help me - I feel in my guts that there's something out there that'll scratch my itch much better than these two. Also, I've already played TW2, so there's that.

Thank you in advance for helping me out.

Cette

Legacy
Dec 16, 2011
Country
US
You do have a thing for asking for the nichest of the niche don't you?

The Witcher games and Lords of the fallen are pretty much it if you're married to third person action style on the PC.
If you're willing to switch genre's a bit Darkest Dungeon might scratch you atmosphere itch. It's green light though so treat with caution.

If it's dark moody and Lovecraftian you want then Call of Cthlhu Dark Corners of the Earth might fit the bill. A bit old and clunky but it handled the material well.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Do you mind if my suggestion is a 2D game and not 3D, before give an answer?

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
ninja666 said:
What I like about Bloodborne the most, though, is its atmosphere, so let's say it should be the main focus when choosing what game to recommend.. I really like its constant dark, brutal, and pessimistic feel, as well as From's take on Lovecraftian horror.
Have you tried Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines? It always get recommended when people ask for RPGs for it's atmosphere, witty dialogue, and insane/hilarious Malkavians.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Risingblade said:
Skyrim and kingdoms of Amalur
Yes, because killing dragons in Dark Souls was so easy like in Skyrim.
I never played Skyrim, but when I saw a bear killing a freaking dragon, I flip my sh*ts and never saw it very seriously ever again.
Kingdom of Alamur I think is very colorful, but maybe I am wrong.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
SweetShark said:
Risingblade said:
I never played Skyrim, but when I saw a bear killing a freaking dragon, I flip my sh*ts and never saw it very seriously ever again.
Dragons are tied to your level so it's common for strong creatures to fair well against dragons while you're low level. If you fancy a challenge there are mods that rebalance the combat system and of course if you want to be overpowered as fuck there's that option as well.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Dead space 1, alien isolation.
Maybe transistor, maybe bastion, maybe ori and the blind forest for storytelling and atmosphere?

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Risingblade said:
SweetShark said:
Risingblade said:
Dragons are tied to your level so it's common for strong creatures to fair well against dragons while you're low level. If you fancy a challenge there are mods that rebalance the combat system and of course if you want to be overpowered as fuck there's that option as well.
Sorry to being like this, but Dark Souls mean a lot to me being one of my favourite games of all time.
I want to say so many details why I love it so much, but I will admit I am lazy.
So if Skyrim is our game, good for you my friend.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Skyrim is quite removed from the dark souls formula.
Too much progression in leveling, too little direction. Enemies become healthtanks, the combat has very little depth.
Bloodborne is not an open world game even though the way the world is constructed may suggest otherwise.
It is highly guided. Linear with limited options for divergence. Kind of a 3d castlevania.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Have you played the Soul Reaver games? They have a similiar gothic and dark atmosphere to Bloodborne and deal with some Lovecraftian elements as the story progresses.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
SweetShark said:
You might like this video.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I used to play a browser game about feeding fish called Insaniquarium. One of the user reviews called it "like Dark Souls but with fish".

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Asclepion said:
SweetShark said:
You might like this video.

Actually, I am a big fun of this series and I saw this video ton of times. Even if the dragons in Dark Souls isn't so smart as the well-played Dragons in DnD, at least they have reasons to act like that.
The Red Dragon in Dark Souls couldn't see you in some corners and for that reason the dragon get closer to fire your sorry ass [mine]. Of course with one breath you were dead.
And the Stomach Dragon [shut up, I don't remember the real name] was and undead colossus ready to K.O you with with well clean teeths and ribs.

asdfen

Oct 27, 2011
I havent played a game like Souls anywhere due to how well they are executed (DS2 excluded) there are plenty of good rpgs and dark fantasy games but none of them come close to that feeling of total emrsion when playing those games for a first time. Thats just me thought.

However if you looking for that feeling of imersion into a strange new place here are some sugestions

Halflife games - actually those games had almost the same effect on me emotionally as Souls games
Portal games - they are so well done that I did feel emersed in the unique experience
Vampire the Mascarade Redemption - amazing
Mass Effect 1 - amazing atmosphere. 2/3 turned into shoot em up
Gabriel Knight games - amazing atmosphere. make sure to play them in chronological order
Dragon Age Origins - very well done
Amnesia Dark Descent - amazing horror atmosphere
Fallout games - all of them are great and set in a grim world
Metro games - dark setting well executed
Stalker games - dark setting well executed
Witcher 1 - amazing setting dark fantasy but to get the most out of it you should read Witcher book(s) first

If you are looking for action
Shadows of Mordor/Batman games(except for Origins)/Devil May Cry games - great combat

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Cette said:
You do have a thing for asking for the nichest of the niche don't you?
Well, I'm just asking for something I'd like. It's not really my fault it turns out to be niche.

Cette said:
If it's dark moody and Lovecraftian you want then Call of Cthlhu Dark Corners of the Earth might fit the bill. A bit old and clunky but it handled the material well.
I don't know. I've heard that for the most part you're literally defenseless (Amnesia style) against your foes and only about 3/4 into the game you get a gun.

loa said:
Dead space 1, alien isolation.
While Alien Isolation isn't what I'm looking for, Dead Space is actually a pretty good suggestion. I think I'll leave it for when nothing better shows up.

loa said:
Maybe transistor, maybe bastion
Ehh... I really don't get what's so dark about these games. People tell me that they're pretty dark and moody, but I just can't see it. Every time I look at these two I see Secret of Mana, or any other cutesy Japanese Action RPG.

SweetShark said:
Do you mind if my suggestion is a 2D game and not 3D, before give an answer?
Sure, go ahead. I don't mind. I'm not really a fan of 2D games, but I make exceptions if it's worth it.

jhoroz said:
Have you played the Soul Reaver games? They have a similiar gothic and dark atmosphere to Bloodborne and deal with some Lovecraftian elements as the story progresses.
I have played them already. Completely forgot to include them.

Also, I dug through the aforementioned Reddit thread once more and found out that somewhere in the lowest levels of the comment section somebody posted quite an interesting suggestion: Resident Evil HD Remaster. The guy claimed the atmosphere and world cohesiveness really reminded him of Bloodborne. Could it be the game I'm looking for, or is the guy talking out of his ass?

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
ninja666 said:
I don't know. I've heard that for the most part you're literally defenseless (Amnesia style) against your foes and only about 3/4 into the game you get a gun.
No, you do get a gun far, far sooner than that. But I must warn you that the PC version is very unstable and that you might have to force it to run on a single core if you have a multi-core CPU. I know there is a very consistent lock-up early in the game that can be avoided by doing so.

It is a great horror game though, and definitely worth playing. Although I would recommend the original Xbox version instead.

ninja666 said:
Also, I dug through the aforementioned Reddit thread once more and found out that somewhere in the lowest levels of the comment section somebody posted quite an interesting suggestion: Resident Evil HD Remaster. The guy claimed the atmosphere and world cohesiveness really reminded him of Bloodborne. Could it be the game I'm looking for, or is the guy talking out of his ass?
It might very well be what you are looking for.

The Resident Evil HD remake has incredible atmosphere and definitely an unforgiving difficulty on par with the Souls games.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
SweetShark said:
Actually, I am a big fun of this series and I saw this video ton of times. Even if the dragons in Dark Souls isn't so smart as the well-played Dragons in DnD, at least they have reasons to act like that.
The Red Dragon in Dark Souls couldn't see you in some corners and for that reason the dragon get closer to fire your sorry ass [mine]. Of course with one breath you were dead.
And the Stomach Dragon [shut up, I don't remember the real name] was and undead colossus ready to K.O you with with well clean teeths and ribs.
The Hell-Kite Drake isn't a true dragon, it's just a Wyvern (basically degenerate dragons, compared to the real deal they are simply beasts, no real intelligence.), and while I don't think the Gaping Dragon is actually undead (it's description implies it's mutated), it's so twisted it's lost most of it's faculties and ability to fly. As for the actual dragon fights in the souls games, Kalameet fits the videos description perfectly, doing Fly-by breath attacks unless you cripple one of his wings (and even then he can fly for small spurts, and fights with quick agile movements and lots of breath weapon). Similarly Sinh from DS2, who flies around a LOT more than Kalameet has a giant spear lodged through one of his lungs, probably preventing him from flying indefinitely :p