Suggest some new music to an old Hippie

freebird213

Sep 11, 2008
I haven't been much for new music and haven't given it much credit. My favorite bands for years have been the Doors, The Beatles, The Grateful Dead, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, and if you look at the Woodstock line up thats pretty much all my favorite music. I always believed that the 60's was the greatest music decade ever but that might be due to the fact i grew up in the 80's, the dark ages I called it. But OT, one of my greatest beliefs is to be open minded and I believe its time to start expanding horizons. So just give me an artist your listening to right now or your favorite band along with a good album or track by them. I will look them up for being a musician myself, I think its important to listen to all types of music and please don't trash others taste in music, to each his own.

Xorghul

Jul 2, 2008
Right now I'm mainly listening to Deathstars, which are Death-Glamor(the genre). The singer is incredible.
Their best songs(according to me) are: Synthetic Generation, Termination Bliss and Blitzkrieg.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
For something long, thoughtful, and largely relaxing, I would recommend Explosions In The Sky. Most of their tracks are on the longer side, devoid of lyrics, and thus are sort of like suites.

For something a little more conventionally hippie-esque, I guess Credence Clearwater Revival and Bob Dylan are good as well.

freebird213

Sep 11, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
Modern music?
well any music but my biggest dark area would have to be anything past the 90's and thanks for the suggestion, downloading Hot Fuss right now

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds' album Dig! Lazarus Dig! Also Grinderman's self-title album.
Always a fan of Queens of the Stone Age (any album but particularly Era Vulgaris).
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (either Howl or Baby 81).
Carbon Leaf (Echo, Echo; Ether Electrified Porch Music; and Indian Summer).

That's most of what I can think of for right now. All of those are favorites of mine, even though I am a big 60s and 70s rock fan.
Be aware that Echo, Echo, Ether Electrified Porch Music and Howl are all not really rock, more of folk, especially Echo, Echo because it is Irish Folk-rock. They are still incredible albums, just different.

Ciarang

Elite Member
Dec 4, 2008
There needs to be more ravers on the internets.....
But ehh, have you heard John 5 ?
He's pretty good

implodingMan

Apr 9, 2008
Rock:
Modest Mouse
The Strokes
Queens of the Stone Age
Kings of Leon

Folk:
Iron & Wine
Fleet Foxes
Elliott Smith
Bon Iver

Other slightly hard to classify stuff:
Radiohead
Broken Social Scene
TV on the Radio
MGMT

All good stuff.

My favorite song right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1FFOB3aP-M

Fly Trapped in a Jar by Modest Mouse.

TriggerUnhappy

Mar 4, 2009
freebird213 said:
I haven't been much for new music and haven't given it much credit. My favorite bands for years have been the Doors, The Beatles, The Grateful Dead, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, and if you look at the Woodstock line up thats pretty much all my favorite music. I always believed that the 60's was the greatest music decade ever but that might be due to the fact i grew up in the 80's, the dark ages I called it. But OT, one of my greatest beliefs is to be open minded and I believe its time to start expanding horizons. So just give me an artist your listening to right now or your favorite band along with a good album or track by them. I will look them up for being a musician myself, I think its important to listen to all types of music and please don't trash others taste in music, to each his own.
Here are a couple bands for you to check out, tell me if you like em and I'll post more:
<youtube=sQghSEl0hHQ><spoiler=Falconer><youtube=TAFp4x6kkw0><spoiler=Kamelot><youtube=I438RH1oUJc><spoiler=The Killers><youtube=YxdrHbp6FzA> I recommend you listen to the whole song as well, some start off strange and change into something different. Enjoy.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
I'm assuming that any old stuff you haven't listed (e.g. Black Sabbath) is old stuff you probably have already heard and happen not to like. That cuts some of what I listen to because of similarities to excluded-from-your-list-band-X.

Nick Cave is an amazing artist with a wide range of stuff. I've only heard a sliver of it. I really like "Red Right Hand" by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds -- I'm not sure it's necessarily representative of his general tone, but something in it just works for me.

Depeche Mode really shows off the potential of electronic and dance music. My favorite work of theirs is "Dream On"; it's very poetic.

I think the singer-songwriter-y artists of the Sixties have found some great heirs in the modern age. There's this whole big genre of good female singer-songwriters who write really crazy-personal stuff -- they generally get lumped into "alternative rock"; Suzanne Vega and Tori Amos are my favorites here. I generally like the music that sprung up when this personal/confessional tradition was introduced to other influences more so than the core genre itself. So, on the lyrical(*) side, you've got the very gifted Vienna Teng (try "Blue Caravan", "The Tower", or "Between"). Poe, who takes a dash of folk and infuses it with a lot of rock and electronica, makes a nice complement (try "Amazed", "Wild").

Right now I'm listening to the Walkabouts, who have this awesome indie-country-folk thing going on.

Sixties- and early-Seventies- era music has made its way into modern mash-ups, by the way. Most of them lay it on top of a hip-hop or dance beat, which is kind of a turnoff for me, but some of it really manages to take an old song and give it new legs. My favorite is Go Home Productions' "Rapture Riders" (the Doors' "Riders on the Storm" + Blondie's rap-influenced "Rapture").

-- Alex

setvak

Sep 6, 2009
I'll be quick and recommend Kyuss. It could be classified as stoner rock/metal, their music has a great psychedelic atmosphere to it, especially Blues for the Red Sun. Also, not sure if you listen to Queens of the Stone Age, but Kyuss is Josh Homme's previous band (although he just played guitar in Kyuss).

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Alex_P said:
Nick Cave is an amazing artist with a wide range of stuff. I've only heard a sliver of it. I really like "Red Right Hand" by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds -- I'm not sure it's necessarily representative of his general tone, but something in it just works for me.

Depeche Mode really shows off the potential of electronic and dance music. My favorite work of theirs is "Dream On"; it's very poetic.
those are both fairly old bands, both being from the 80s

ok i'll go for some of my recommendations

VNV Nation
Combichrist
Icon of Coil
Covenant
Ayria
Fantomas
Tomahawk
Faith No More
Rammstein
The Legendary Pink Dots (from the 80s but really good, kinda like Syd Barret era Pink Floyd)
GWAR
Primus
Colonel Les Claypool's Fly Frog Brigade
Skinny Puppy (from the 80s but still awesome)
Front 242 (from the 80s but still awesome)
KMFDM
Hanzel und Gretyl
OhGr
This Morn' Omina
Juno Reactor

Mar 17, 2009
99% of what you're going to be suggested here is going to be metal, so maybe it's not the best place to ask.

Anyway, to differentiate myself from the crowd, I will say Green Day (Really liked their new album), Daft Punk, and PIL (That's an eighties band for ya, post-punk with John Lydon, though I'm sure you've already heard of it).

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
I like all the same bands as you (Except Grateful Dead) and I reccomend that you listen to Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk, and Peeping Tom. Mike Patton is the vocalist of those bands and he is great musician.

Iampringles

Dec 13, 2008
I agree with what you said about the 60's, I was born mid 90's and the Beatles are my joint favourite band at the moment, with System Of A Down.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
cleverlymadeup said:
those are both fairly old bands, both being from the 80s
But they write good, innovative stuff now ("Dream On" is from 2001, for example). As opposed to acts like the Stones, who aren't really making the same impact that they used to with their more recent work.

-- Alex