Suggestion Thread: My first real MMO game

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
the silence said:
Now I want to know which games these are ... especially the space martian one.

OT: Blade & Soul is pretty new and fun, even though a little bit dodgy and buggy. Still, I think you would be able to easily find people to play with there.
GW2 is fun (although BnS combat is better) and much bigger, but many people know so much, you could feel like you are left alone)
Tera maybe could work, although I feel like it's a bit grindy (yes, BnS is better in that regard, imo). But they are doing gender- and specieslocked classes now, which is super weird.

Others I haven't played.
You could also try WoW ;)
SW: ToR seems to have fun singleplayer content too, but I haven't played it yet.
Yeah, I was just lazy to remember the titles, so I wrote my post in one go.
Here are the names:

We Know The Devil
Lesbian Spider-Queens of Mars
Dorei to no Seikatsu -Teaching Feeling

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
I have not played any you listed well except a few minutes of Guild Wars 2 at a friends house. Blade and Soul is supposed to have really good PVP at least late game so if that interests you maybe try that although its a lot more involved than most MMO combats from what I have seen and been told so that could be a negative or positive depending on your stance.

Only one that really grabbed my attention of those you said was GWs2 even if I did never get around to playing it. Probably most fun I have had in an MMO is FFXIV (and WOW but that was because a lot of my friends were playing at the time) its subscription though so has a larger initial outlay. Only one that has kept me playing on and off for over 8 months though even WOW only managed 3 out of me with lots of my friends on.

I do intend to try Black Desert simply because of how it looks and its theme as well as a few old guildmates I keep in touch with outside the game are going to pick it up.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
EVE Online because I am biased and it's probably the best example of an MMO there is.
SweetShark said:
EVE game is the one with the spaceships right?
It is true about the FPS part of the game? EVE Dusk without Google it just to test my knowledge.
I would prefer this kind of game.
Prefer Dust or EVE itself? Dust 514 is PS3 only and I believe it's already been shut down because CCP stopped caring and is supposedly moving development to its rebuild, also being the end result of Project Legion.

EDIT: Allow me to convince you.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
As various people have already, I'll stump for GW2. The world is immense, well-realised, and beautiful. Mechanics are strong, and while they didn't make the best use of them at some points (various HP-sack dungeon bosses), they're getting a lot better at it. The maps released with Heart of Thorns are the best yet, because they make full and imaginative use of the mechanics they have.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
WOW is really the only MMO that's ever managed to grab me, however it's heyday is also sadly long passed. The game that enthralled me when I first gave it a try is gone and buried. How good of a first impression WOW would make to someone new to the genre today I have no idea as my first introduction as well as that of my friends was 10+ years ago. Still a good game mind you, but only one I enjoy maybe once every year or so now instead of faithfully like I used to.

Otherwise I've tried SWTOR, EVE, D&D: Online, Guild War 2, and Age of Conan. Sadly of those none managed to hold my attention for long. As a fan of the Conan setting AoC probably entertained me more than any of the other games on that list but then THAT was like 7 years ago so I've got no idea at the state of the game today or if it still holds up at all. D&D:Online has some really great dungeon design and is surprisingly faithful to the source material, but I didn't like the Eberron setting and eventually stopped playing.

I've been considering giving The Secret World a try because the setting looks fantastic and I've heard the quests are extremely well done, but that's about it as far as my recommendations for the genre go.

Nismu

Mar 4, 2015
My personal favorites are
DDO (dungeons and dragons online (not neverwinter))
Firefall
DCUO

those are all quite different from usual mmorpgs

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
I'd like to suggest either Black Desert or Final Fantasy XIV. They're both very different games, but they're both the best representatives of their takes on the genre.

If your computer is amazing, go Black Desert. If it's just pretty good, go FFXIV. If your computer isn't either of those things, get a new computer first.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
Dreiko said:
I'm partial to FFXIV. Dragoons ftw!
*ahem* I do believe you mean loldrgs :p (Paladin main here)
I would recommend Final Fantasy 14, even though it's pay to play (fucking expensive if you're Canadian) but I know it's not for everyone. Which is why I'll say to try the two week trial before actually buying it.
Also, if you do end up buying it, watch out where you get it from. You can buy it on steam as well as from the se store. But I've heard that if you were to buy the base game from se and the expansion from steam they won't work together. Separate licensing or something. So watch out for that

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
As someone with over 100 hours on TERA, I can say it is NOT easy to get into. Atrocious UI, shoddy UX, boring and grindy at times, poor quests. The combat is quite good though, and it's not just tab-based, so that's a strong saving grace.

Let me throw in another vote for Elder Scrolls Online. It's as close to multiplayer Skyrim as I think we'll see, and it does a good job. Hey, some of the quests are better than Skyrim's too.

Alternatively Black Desert Online has been out for a short while, as you know. That's even interested me.

Sep 13, 2009
Guild Wars 2, only MMO I got to level 80 in, although I'd seriously recommend getting a friend to join you in it (or find some friends along the way), or you're going to miss out in a lot of content (Still haven't actually been able to do any of the dungeons solo)

Aug 31, 2012
Guild Wars 2. Big world, looks great, well realised, decent enough story, gameplay is only functional though, the standard tab to select target then use attack skills until it dies, with a bit of dodging area attacks thrown in. It does the job but is nothing special, if the rest of it doesn't hook you in then the gameplay certainly won't. Lots of players though, I have been asked to join a couple of guilds in my time playing and I'm a very irregular player.

As for others:

Tera: I'll echo Chaosian on. Terrible UI, fairly grindy and has a very artificial feel to it. Which is a shame because it plays very nicely, you actually have to aim at what you're trying to hit, which makes it much more engaging. If I could transplant the gameplay to GW2 I would in a heartbeat. EU servers are shit though and it feels pretty empty.

SWTOR: I can't really remember what level I got to but I didn't really find any of it fun. From what I've heard most people liked it for the character's story.

Neverwinter: Loved the combat (same concept as Tera) and the story was good, small but well made environments, character classes feel different to play, looks nice, but not much endgame. It feels like a good single player ARPG. It's free so it might be worth a DL to play through the main campaign.

Sep 13, 2009
Zykon TheLich said:
decent enough story
Wait, really?

I usually eat up stories in games, but I found myself constantly skipping through the story because of how awful the writing was. The voice acting might have made it worse than it seemed (or the writing might have made the voice acting seem worse not positive which way it went), but it's probably one of the worse stories I've ever seen in a game. The writing is all so artificial, and I can't imagine anyone ever speaking like their characters do

Aug 31, 2012
The Almighty Aardvark said:
I usually eat up stories in games, but I found myself constantly skipping through the story because of how awful the writing was. The voice acting might have made it worse than it seemed (or the writing might have made the voice acting seem worse not positive which way it went), but it's probably one of the worse stories I've ever seen in a game. The writing is all so artificial, and I can't imagine anyone ever speaking like their characters do
Yeah, the voice acting was fucking appalling (no, my norn does not sound like that) and the writing didn't help, however, the way the missions work convey what you're doing and why well enough. I know basically what I'm doing and why and how it relates to the overall story, even If I skip the acting. Which is more than I can say for any other MMO I've played barring Neverwinter. Perhaps you are assigning to much value to the words "decent enough". I maybe would have conveyed my meaning a bit better If I'd separated the different aspects of storytelling, but I'm not an writing a literature essay.

Sep 13, 2009
Zykon TheLich said:
Yeah, the voice acting was fucking appalling (no, my norn does not sound like that) and the writing didn't help, however, the way the missions work convey what you're doing and why well enough. I know basically what I'm doing and why and how it relates to the overall story, even If I skip the acting. Which is more than I can say for any other MMO I've played barring Neverwinter. Perhaps you are assigning to much value to the words "decent enough". I maybe would have conveyed my meaning a bit better If I'd separated the different aspects of storytelling, but I'm not an writing a literature essay.
You're probably right, and I haven't really played much of any MMO besides GW2. The story itself is at least serviceable, if the delivery is awful. That being said, if this is good as MMO's go, I'm sort of worried about what the writing in others must be like

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
The Almighty Aardvark said:
You're probably right, and I haven't really played much of any MMO besides GW2. The story itself is at least serviceable, if the delivery is awful. That being said, if this is good as MMO's go, I'm sort of worried about what the writing in others must be like
Most MMOs with a story stop at "Has a story". The best story-driven MMOs on the market...SWTOR and TSW...are laughably bad compared to even the most humble story driven CRPG for the most part. Whatever aspirations GW2 had towards delivering a narrative died with the atrociously wooden voice acting (outside of a handful of industry professionals who seem to be in "what the hell am I doing here" mode).

MMOs don't play nicely with story. Theme parks require way too much treadmilling, so your 5-10 hours of story is spread out over 200-300 hours of game. Sandboxes are fundamentally at odds with story delivery. Well made MMOs have generous dollops of lore and world-building, but "story" is best confined to individual quest lines.