Suggestions for a post-Portal 2 game for me and my son

Dargocitfer

PhD in Mad Science
Aug 30, 2011
My 6 year old son *LOVES* Portal and Portal 2. Plays them all the time, and loves to watch me play. He begs me to download new maps from the online mapping community (The quality of which are a total crap shoot, but there are some amazing gems), and he surprises me all the time at how good he's gotten at "Thinking with Portals", figuring out the puzzles.

However, the attention span of a 6 year old (and to be honest, his old man) is not infinite, and he's getting tired of just playing Portal all the time.

We've been playing "The Ball" (http://www.theballthegame.com/), and it's fun, but the parts where the mummies start attacking are a *little* too intense for him to play by himself. (When he's watching me play, he covers his eyes and has me tell him when they're all dead.)

We also downloaded "Narbacular Drop" and "Tag: The Power of Paint", (Obvious choices because of the Portal connection), but those were quickly conquered.

So, does the Escapist community have any suggestions for other games we might play?

Thanks!

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
Have you ever looked into Qube? It has a simular feel to portal but not realy any of the charm or personality but if your looking for more puzzels its probably worth a look, i think there is a demo available aswell but dont quote me on that.

Skin

Dec 28, 2011
I was going to suggest Dark Souls... But I guess I cant...

Rayman Origins?

Dargocitfer

PhD in Mad Science
Aug 30, 2011
Q.U.B.E. looks good! Similar aesthetic and gameplay to Portal. I'll also look at Rayman Origins, when it's released for the PC. I suppose I should have specified, we're a PC gaming family. :)

Dark Souls... Hehe, not so much.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. If anyone else has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

synulia

Mar 1, 2011
First I wanna say that the original post is the most heartwarming thing I've heard all week.

I'd recommend Cogs, or World of Goo, maybe even Machinarium. All games require a good degree of puzzle solving and minimal instructions, and are just all-round charming as hell.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Plants Vs Zombies?
Maybe get an emulator working and try Mario 64 or something.

Dargocitfer

PhD in Mad Science
Aug 30, 2011
Thank you again. Although we've already played PvZ and World of Goo to death, I will definitely check out Cogs and Machinarium.

At least now I'll have a couple of options when he says, "Dad, I want another game like Portal."

:-D

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
I'd offer Solar 2 and Bastion.

They've got nothing to do with Portal, but then again, a very few games do.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Wait does it have to be like portal in the puzzle solving or just kid friendly games? Some of these games aren't anything like portal.

If you want kid friendly games just go onto steam, highlight genre, mouse down to family, click. There are tonnes, if you look on the right there is an option for just multi player family friendly games ... though I am not sure how kiddie friendly "rail road tycoon 3" is.

Dargocitfer

PhD in Mad Science
Aug 30, 2011
omega 616 said:
Wait does it have to be like portal in the puzzle solving or just kid friendly games? Some of these games aren't anything like portal.

If you want kid friendly games just go onto steam, highlight genre, mouse down to family, click. There are tonnes, if you look on the right there is an option for just multi player family friendly games ... though I am not sure how kiddie friendly "rail road tycoon 3" is.
I was mostly asking for specifically Portal-like games, because he loves it so much.

We have other games we play, and quite often he just likes to watch me play, but he wants more games that are like Portal. He's six and I'm his Dad, so I'm supposed to be able to conjure these things out of the air! :) (Or, as he says, "Just download one, Dad!")

Of course, one of the things that has made Portal and Portal 2 so popular is because they are so unique and well-made... I can't win.

(You're right about the "Kid Friendly" statement, however. Portal doesn't appear anywhere on any of the lists for "Family" games. So I figured I'd ask people who've probably heard of things I haven't.)

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Dargocitfer said:
omega 616 said:

I was mostly asking for specifically Portal-like games, because he loves it so much.

We have other games we play, and quite often he just likes to watch me play, but he wants more games that are like Portal. He's six and I'm his Dad, so I'm supposed to be able to conjure these things out of the air! :) (Or, as he says, "Just download one, Dad!")

Of course, one of the things that has made Portal and Portal 2 so popular is because they are so unique and well-made... I can't win.

(You're right about the "Kid Friendly" statement, however. Portal doesn't appear anywhere on any of the lists for "Family" games. So I figured I'd ask people who've probably heard of things I haven't.)
I think the only reason portal isn't on the list is 'cos the puzzles aren't exactly aimed at kids.

Try the new cannon fodder 3, very cartoony looking and I am sure he can get past the bad dialogue. Not sure if it has multi player or how easy it is.

Puzzle games aren't really a big genre for me, could try the millions of point and clicks out there. Kind of like puzzles, although the logic is often very obscure, usually very funny.

Machinarium is one such game, I have it and it's very cute (there are guides on youtube on how to do it and you can get a feel for it).