Suicide mission losses and their consequences in ME3, your thoughts?

Setrus

Oct 17, 2011
Well...as the title says, really, what do you guys and gals think will be the consequences of characters dying during the suicide mission plot-wise and for the galaxy's readiness?

Some examples:
Legion could either die, be given to Cerberus or live, for one. If it dies you lose the direct link to the Geth, their experiences that could be given to the main network and shape their willingness to cooperate. If Cerberus gets it...well I figure it might show in some weapons, or give an aditional quest where Cerberus is doing some sort of Geth experiment.

Or Tali for that matter. Depending on whether you cleared her name during her trial or not she could very well end up in the admirality board, (she mentions it after all) a powerful ally for you if you want the Quarian's support. (then again, she might be viewed as too emotionally attached to the issue and not allowed to cast a vote, especially if you're sleeping with her. :p ) On the other hand, if she dies you not only lose such a valuable ally, but you also loose a squadmate. Or do you belive she'll get replaced then? Perhaps by Kal'Reegar? (In my current playthrough of ME2 I'm going to have her AND Garrus die so I can see what happens with the squad setup.

And what of Miranda? She had quite a bit of plot-armour during the suicide mission, making it hard to kill her, that could very well point at that she's an important part of the ME3 plot...and if she's dead you might well be unable to do certain quests and as such get a lower galactic readiness versus the Reapers.

Or Mordin, whose work on the Genophage might well tip the balance of the war? What if he's dead? What if his assistant is also dead? Is it even possible to cure the Krogan then? Sure the Salarians are brilliant with this, but without the experts on the work left it seems difficult to get it all done in time.

And what of Samara? The vouching of a Justicar at your words would be a great boon to mobilize the Asari into action, but if she's not there...see where I'm going with this?

Heck, what of Wrex? I mean if he died in Mass effect 1 you basically have some dullard on the Krogan 'throne'...not exactly the ally you need.

Any other character whose death you think may affect the outcome in a large way? Or do you think they'll work around any losses you've might incur in a way that leaves nothing changed?

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Well, I lost Thane and Grunt. I don't suppose Thane will be too important, unless he becomes your one route to calling in the help of the Drell and/or Hanar. Losing Grunt shouldn't be too bad either since Wrex is still alive and kicking, but based on one of the emails I got in ME2 some Krogans might be a bit upset that I managed to get the 'perfect' Krogan killed...

But you know what I really want to see in ME3? A fighting Elcor, since they're described as basically being walking tanks, mounted with the heaviest weaponry and shields. And I don't think they really need to worry about Husks when they can easily back-hand them across a room...

Setrus

Oct 17, 2011
Hmmm...I doubt Thane will be important for that, he doesn't have a big influence among the Hanar, does he? Though maybe he has important contacts within the underworld that could prove important? As to Grunt...I wouldn't worry too much. :p

Ohh...seeing a horde of them simply plodding through the field and destroy anything in their path...that sounds awesome, though I doubt it'll happen. Now an Elcor HUSK...that sounds more likely...and scary.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I'll be redoing the suicide mission, I think. I had no idea what was going on so I lost like 5 people (Thane from the start, Jacob, Jack, Miranda, and Grunt). I did actually redo a good part of the second stage just so I wouldn't lose Garrus, who I was romancing at the time. "Technically, any biotic can throw up a barrier and get you across! You'll be fine!" Yeah thanks, Miranda. Lying *****.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Lost no-one and I can only assume that it will lead to an extra mission for shepherd per dead crew member like an extra terminal that has to be hacked or somesuch.

Captain Epic

Jul 8, 2010
Only person who died in the save I will be importing is Miranda. I honestly couldn't care less, she was annoying.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
I lost Legion, Miranda and Jack and I'm surprised I didn't lose a Helluvah lot more considering how I led up to the suicide mission (I also lost most of the crew including my Yeoman love interest). But I've just created another file with a Shepard whom I fully intend to play Renegade all the way, so we'll see what happens this time.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
I didn't lose anyone on my first playthrough, but I'm now replaying the game to get exactly the endgame squad I want: with that fucking ***** Miranda dead. I might also kill off Jacob, but I'm not 100% decided yet.

I'll play through ME3 without Miranda first, then see if I missed anything important by importing my perfect game. Then maybe I'll make a worst-case scenario, with only one survivor (probably Kasumi, since she has no storyline significance whatsoever), and see how that impacts the rest.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
If Garrus and Tali die, you will be short an Infiltrator/Engineer squadmate to use.

Also, if you managed to get Chawkwas or Kelly killed, Chobot and Chloe will replace them, most of the other suicide mission squadmates will have a replacement in most cases

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
My paragon Shep lost no one. ^^ She's awesome. And thorough. She made damn sure to have her team perfect before getting the IFF.

Wait, no, that's wrong. I lost Katsumi because I thought that the Greatest Thief In the Universe, who also happens to be good a tech, could handle a few pipes and a locked door without getting herself killed. Silly me.

I then reloaded my save and sent in Legion or Tali instead (can't remember which) because apparently they are better with door locks than the aforementioned Greatest Thief in the Universe.

My renegade Shep lost a few, but not many. Mostly because I actually enjoyed the planet mining mini-game and always had everything fully upgraded. I was actively trying to kill certain crew members that playthrough - actually, it's been a while, and I can't remember how I did.

Mestraal

Jan 18, 2010
I just hope they don't pull a DA2 kinda move and go HEY LOOKS WHO ISN'T ACTUALLY DEAD EVEN THOUGH YOU MAY HAVE PERSONALLY BEHEADED HER.

I wonder how they'd try and justify that in the ME universe
Some kinda sneaky 'Miranda didn't die! She just looked like it! Or perhaps WE REBUILT [insert name here] TOO!

westcoast1313

Aug 31, 2009
Bara_no_Hime said:
My paragon Shep lost no one. ^^ She's awesome. And thorough. She made damn sure to have her team perfect before getting the IFF.

Wait, no, that's wrong. I lost Katsumi because I thought that the Greatest Thief In the Universe, who also happens to be good a tech, could handle a few pipes and a locked door without getting herself killed. Silly me.

I then reloaded my save and sent in Legion or Tali instead (can't remember which) because apparently they are better with door locks than the aforementioned Greatest Thief in the Universe.

My renegade Shep lost a few, but not many. Mostly because I actually enjoyed the planet mining mini-game and always had everything fully upgraded. I was actively trying to kill certain crew members that playthrough - actually, it's been a while, and I can't remember how I did.
Was she loyal? Cause i remember sending her through the vents on a playthrough and she made it out alive and kicking. I think the problem would be the leader of the second team, because if it isnt Garrus, Jacob or Miranda the tech expert gets killed.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Setrus said:
:p Your OP is under the assumption that all of these characters will be present in ME 3. Now that the suicide mission is complete, the crew might go their separate ways. Zaaed would have reason to leave, as would Jack and Samara/Morinth. Legion (if alive and not in Cerberus hands) will likely return to the Geth...though I sincerely hope he's a squadmate from the beginning (or very near to), I mean you only get him for literally 2 missions if you want everyone to survive. Get him, do his loyalty mission, crew gets kidnapped, go beat the game.

That said I doubt there'll be THAT big of a difference in gameplay, most likely different conversations and perhaps different quests depending on who survived and who didn't. Otherwise your success in ME 3 would be dependant upon your success in ME 2. While that is an interesting theory to try, I somehow doubt that's what Bioware has done.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
TopazFusion said:
One more point I would like to bring up . . .

What happens if you don't import a save?

In other words; what is the "default" Shepard?
Will the ME2 crew be dead in this scenario? (Similar to the Citadel Council being dead if you don't import a save from ME1.)

It would seem Renegade options are the default.
I'd imagine there'll be some kind of way to set up the story. Dragon Age 2, for instance, let you pick from various possible endings of DAO to determine what would be "canon" for your DA2 playthrough. ME 2, on the other hand, had you set up the canon of ME 1 through a conversation with Jacob and Miranda.

PonceyMcTosserFaic

Jul 30, 2011
i only lost jack. so i guess im good for ME3. i could be wrong but i don't see jack's importance to my shepard and ME3 in general.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
westcoast1313 said:
Was she loyal? Cause i remember sending her through the vents on a playthrough and she made it out alive and kicking. I think the problem would be the leader of the second team, because if it isnt Garrus, Jacob or Miranda the tech expert gets killed.
Not only was she loyal, but she was the very first loyalty mission I did. Since she offered immediately, and made it sound kind of urgent, so I actually did her loyalty mission before I finished recruiting Grunt or Jack.

And Garrus was leading the second team. And he was loyal. Like I said, I was thorough - my entire team was loyal.

Apparently the fates just hated me or something, cause Katsumi took a rocket in the face anyway.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Setrus said:
:p Your OP is under the assumption that all of these characters will be present in ME 3. Now that the suicide mission is complete, the crew might go their separate ways. Zaaed would have reason to leave, as would Jack and Samara/Morinth. Legion (if alive and not in Cerberus hands) will likely return to the Geth...though I sincerely hope he's a squadmate from the beginning (or very near to), I mean you only get him for literally 2 missions if you want everyone to survive. Get him, do his loyalty mission, crew gets kidnapped, go beat the game.

That said I doubt there'll be THAT big of a difference in gameplay, most likely different conversations and perhaps different quests depending on who survived and who didn't. Otherwise your success in ME 3 would be dependant upon your success in ME 2. While that is an interesting theory to try, I somehow doubt that's what Bioware has done.
well i can tell you from what bioware has said about ME3 both jack and legion are in the game as the said Legion was in and said all love intrests that survived would be in the third game.