Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
tzimize said:
immortalfrieza said:
tzimize said:
I found suicide squad to be bad. Not as bad as I feared, but FAR from as good as I'd hoped. The good parts were in the trailer for the most part.

For me, this is gonna be my lesson. I'm done. When the next DC movie rolls around I will not be one of those suckered into a premiere.

It boggles my mind that Marvel seem to be hitting home runs every damn time no matter what people they use for the movie, both actors and directors/writers. While DC cant seem to make a good superhero movie not about batman to save their life. Not even a good supervillain movie. Goddamnit DC. Why do you keep fucking up, PLEASE get rid of Znyder for the love of god! And hire some competent writers for gods sake.
It probably has something to do with the fact that Marvel has much better written characters in general, with lots of excellent stories to draw inspiration from, while aside from Batman and a few gems here and there DC comics have generally been pretty meh all around, good enough for a read, not good enough to be exceptional in any fashion. That, and DC is primarily just trying to coast by off of Name Recognition rather than on making good movies. DC is still making money off of coasting by on Name Recognition at this point so they haven't bothered to try to do better.
See, I refuse to believe that. I mean, the people up top are businessmen right? Even they must understand that its more valuable, especially in the long run, to just make GOOD MOVIES. Then you can still coast off name recognizion, save on commercials, and still earn truckloads because the movie is actually GOOD. And fans will want to see the NEXT one. It should be like explaining dirt to grass, it should be basic stuff. If they were gonna do ONE superhero movie and be done with it, sure I can see cynical morons on top just milking the audience with a shit movie...but they are franchising and sequalizing all over the place, they MUST want to make good stuff.
The people at the top only see the numbers, they just want to make as much money with the least amount of time, effort, and money possible. Marvel understands that making good movies now will not only make them more money now but in the future, but DC just doesn't care. DC jumped on the superhero movie bandwagon solely in order to cash in on it and despite all the mediocre at best critic and user reviews that make it obvious they still see no reason to get off their butts to fix what they're doing wrong since they're still making money in general, it's true of their comics as well. All the suits see is easy dollar signs and that's all they care about, the only difference between the suits at Marvel and the suits at DC is which one cares to put some actual effort into getting those dollars.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Loop Stricken said:
I've only seen the extended edition of BvS, and I didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as people made it out to be. Does this mean the original is actually good, or that taste is subjective?
I guess that depends on your view point.

For me it was like watching The Death of Superman, The Dark Knight Returns and a Justice League origin story all sort of mashed together. There's at least two movies worth of stuff going on and none of it's given the time to play out properly, adding even more footage just made it more jarring and nonsensical how the plot veers in different directions.

Also, Michael Cerra was just insufferable as Lex Luthor, every scene he was in made me want to leap up and punch the screen. Oh wait it was Jesse Eisenberg wasn't it, guess he was just that annoying I defaulted to kill Michael Cerra mode.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
deadish said:
Ukomba said:
Made more it's opening weekend than The New Ghostbusters has made so far.

The real test is going to be how much fall off it has next weekend. Name recognition gets people in the first weekend, but if it sucks people won't be coming back.
Name recognition? More fandom IMHO.

Once the hardcore fans have seen it, they will be the first to the screens, who knows what will happen ...
Yes, Name recognition. Not for the name "Suicide Squad" specifically, but for Joker and Harley Quinn. That's why Joker was used so heavily to promote this movie despite him barely being in it. Same reason they kept putting out teasers about Batman also being in the movie.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
mduncan50 said:
You're using nothing but anecdotal evidence yourself, so I really don't see what your issue is here.
Actually, websites like Metacritic show the user reviews as positive.
Metacritic had user reviews at 97% weeks before it opened. Hardly a reliable source.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
mduncan50 said:
Kibeth41 said:
mduncan50 said:
You're using nothing but anecdotal evidence yourself, so I really don't see what your issue is here.
Metacritic had user reviews at 97% weeks before it opened. Hardly a reliable source.
Metacritic doesn't even open user reviews till the movie releases...

And Metacritic scales user reviews on 1-10. Not %. Although those values are interchangeable so I'll give you benefit of the doubt on that one.

Also, judging by pure numbers. It holds around 210 positive reviews. And around 75 negative. It also has about 75 'average' if you want to count those in. Still, it's around 3 positive reviews per negative.
My bad on that one, I was thinking IMDB which people have been throwing around to say that it's an awesome movie. I still don't consider audience reviews on those sites to be all that useful. On top of the over abundance of 10/10 and 0/10 there is also no real way to stop someone from rating multiple times if they so desire, by simply creating another account.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
I enjoyed this movie. I felt like it needed an extra 10 minutes of "Here are some circumstances which means we have to do this operation as a small team". Deadshot was great. Waller was amazing.
1. The doomsday machine and evil brother both were destroyed by a standard explosion. How hard would taking them out from afar with a cruise missile have been?
2. The military has had contact for 2-3 days with these unstoppable crystalline warriors. The key to taking them out is to be a really good shot or hit them with a baseball bat. The Squad is mostly ordinary people using inferior weaponry to do something that the military couldn't? Sigh.
3. Slipknot--the guy who can climb anything is on your team.
4. Evil brother pushes his crystal-breeding tentacles through solid matter like butter. But in the climax fight scene, he can't hit anything. For some reason, you can now effectively hide behind a pillar.
I like that the film culminates in the team mostly using their person-specific abilities cooperatively to overcome adversity. It's got the right "gel as a team" vibe. But...
I wanted the final scene with Harley and the Enchantress to play out differently. I wanted the Enchantress to offer the team a chance to join her. Somebody like Boomerang would have stepped forward and immediately been "***** slapped" because the Enchantress could read his mind and sense his true intentions. But then Harley steps up and pulls off the ruse BECAUSE she is crazy. Change the last line from "Because you threatened my friends..." to something like "I'd have to be insane to pass that up. Let's get stabby, *****.". I SO wanted her super power of being nuts to be the liability that turned the end boss fight into a win.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
I expect a large drop off for next weekends gross. I saw it Friday night after getting free tickets and enjoyed it for what it was, but it was no more than a 6.5-7/10 for me. The characters were very well done except for Leto's Joker, who just didn't work for me. I don't know whether to blame his acting or the script and direction for that, but in either case I did not find him to be a good Joker. The plot meandered quite a bit and I didn't buy the whole "Friendship is Magic" bit at the end from all of the characters. It was definitely better than the other DCEU movies, but I'm still glad that it was a freebie for me.

McMarbles said:
I'm seeing a lot of love for Margot Robbie but not nearly enough for Karen Fukuhara.
You mean the actress who was in the movie for all of five minutes? Yeah, can't imagine why there's a lack of love there. :p

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
This isn't really that surprising after all the hype generated over the last year for it and how well WB has been at keeping quiet the fact it's more like Deadshot, hero movie than suicide squad and that the movie's pacing is all over the place. Also people like a certain someone I know may have significantly contributed to the number by going to see the movie more than once as he didn't understand it the first time. Although I'm more interested how it will do in it's second week though. The movie wasn't terrible but it wasn't fantastic either so I wonder with that being known now how that will affect second week sales.

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
I fell for the hype, the movie it self was awful. Script, lines, action, villain, world building, final act. Not really suprised it did well , just suprised how you could have this type of cast and make such a pile of crap... with the most totally not interesting villain and totally uninspired action scenes.

4Aces

May 29, 2012
Suicide Squad is the oxymoron. Even calling them bad guys/gals is a stretch.

McMarbles said:
I'm seeing a lot of love for Margot Robbie but not nearly enough for Karen Fukuhara.
Like most of the non-Robbie & Smith characters, she is barely in the movie. She has a few moments, but then the camera goes back to the main two people in this "squad" movie. They really should have killed a few of them off to explain their sudden non-entity status, but the directing is matched by script. I will concede that it was all handicapped to start by the morons at Warner/DC demanding a PG-13 movie in direct opposition to the source material. It is like summonon a plushy Cuthulhu who wields a wifflebat, while advertising horror beyond comprehension. Pure, unadulterated Meh (5/10).

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
mduncan50 said:
Kibeth41 said:
mduncan50 said:
Kibeth41 said:
mduncan50 said:

And Metacritic scales user reviews on 1-10. Not %. Although those values are interchangeable so I'll give you benefit of the doubt on that one.

Also, judging by pure numbers. It holds around 210 positive reviews. And around 75 negative. It also has about 75 'average' if you want to count those in. Still, it's around 3 positive reviews per negative.
My bad on that one, I was thinking IMDB which people have been throwing around to say that it's an awesome movie. I still don't consider audience reviews on those sites to be all that useful. On top of the over abundance of 10/10 and 0/10 there is also no real way to stop someone from rating multiple times if they so desire, by simply creating another account.
So do you go by that "can't trust audience reviews" rationale with MCU movies as well or...?

Dinadan

Nov 12, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
mduncan50 said:
Kibeth41 said:
mduncan50 said:
Kibeth41 said:
mduncan50 said:

So do you go by that "can't trust audience reviews" rationale with MCU movies as well or...?
I know this wasn't directed at me, but yes, I at least don't generally trust audience reviews. I mean, I just have to look at my friends to see how that's a dumb idea. Most of them are so non-critical they'll watch and accept anything that provides even a modicum of entertainment. And to top it off, I also like some dumb movies.

Of course you could then say 'Hey, if you like dumb movies, why worry about critics at all?'. Well, I don't want to go out and watch a movie that might mildly entertain me, if I could instead watch a good movie or spend my time otherwise having fun. And after the disappointment of Batman vs Superman, I won't be suckered into another DC movie by anything less than sterling reviews.

That said, if they make a profit still, good on them. I'd hate for Marvel to have even less competition. They have way too much elbow room already. And while I like most Marvel movies, that lack of pressure shows in their tendency to play everything save.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Dinadan said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
mduncan50 said:
Kibeth41 said:
mduncan50 said:
Kibeth41 said:
mduncan50 said:

I know this wasn't directed at me, but yes, I at least don't generally trust audience reviews. I mean, I just have to look at my friends to see how that's a dumb idea. Most of them are so non-critical they'll watch and accept anything that provides even a modicum of entertainment. And to top it off, I also like some dumb movies.

Of course you could then say 'Hey, if you like dumb movies, why worry about critics at all?'. Well, I don't want to go out and watch a movie that might mildly entertain me, if I could instead watch a good movie or spend my time otherwise having fun. And after the disappointment of Batman vs Superman, I won't be suckered into another DC movie by anything less than sterling reviews.

That said, if they make a profit still, good on them. I'd hate for Marvel to have even less competition. They have way too much elbow room already. And while I like most Marvel movies, that lack of pressure shows in their tendency to play everything save.
Pretty much all of this exactly. But especially when it comes to fandom movies, because people who are part of that fandom can either blindly love anything that is released and admit no fault lest people think it cheapens the source material, or every fault is magnified because having known the source material and knowing how it can be done properly. If I were to be honest I probably fit into the latter and am a little too critical, but when it comes down the to end of the day, I've yet to see a DCEU movie that I've enjoyed and I've yet to watch an MCU movie that I haven't. There's simply a care, a reverence for the source material, and sense of fun in their movies that seems to be missing from WB/DC.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Harley quinn was SO hot. So was will smith. I think Will Smith carried the film ( with harley quinn).

I kind of liked the new Joker. He was entertaining.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I watched this film today, I am no Joker/Harley purist (in fact, beyond bare basics of who they are, I don't know anything) but dafuq was that!? Joker seemed like a gangster, not a man who has gone over the edge. Joker always seemed like a genius who had something horrific happen to him, that broke his mind and now seeks chaos, anything to upset the balance. In this film he is made out to be the two Cray twins in one body ... it was weird.

I know that Joker has always had his henchmen but never saw him driving a lambo, with a metal looking teeth, slicked back hair mob boss!

lastly, how the fuck was Harley 3 hitting those mutant soldiers with a baseball bat but the soldiers with the suicide squad were totally ineffective? How was deadshot's guns more effective than 5 guys all with m16's?

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
omega 616 said:
How was deadshot's guns more effective than 5 guys all with m16's?
Well, he's got super-aim.

I mean...that scene with the firing range, where he's shooting people in the head repeatedly? The crazy-dumb part about that is that he keeps doing it, and the holes stay the same size. That means he's hitting the exact same spot, on every target, with every gun, every time.

Really, Waller employing Deadshot is more practical than trying to use Harley or Croc or even Diablo (who's a pacifist). He shoots whoever you tell him to, and he has the effective firepower of an entire platoon. The biggest problem would be keeping him supplied with bullets.