Suicide Squad was awesome, critics high on crack

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:
Joker saying "i can't wait to show you my toys." Nope.
Harely using her baseball bat as a fake gun. Nope.

Source: http://screenrant.com/suicide-squad-deleted-scene-rumors/
You think they keep those scenes to keep the whole "Fun and Witty" tone for this reshot theatrical release ;P
You'd think if they bothered to show them in the trailer, they'd at least keep them in the movie. Its like Warner Bros just doesn't know how to make movies, in a very literal sense. They don't know you're supposed to put scenes FROM the movie IN the trailer, not just random scenes that you've already cut.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I had heard that the editing was shit. I watched the film, it wasn't. Some were comparing it to BvS and I have no freaking clue were they got that from!?
The only thing I think was badly done was the Joker, he seemed so forced somehow.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
President Bagel said:
I never in my entire life thought I'd hear someone call Die Another Day their favourite Bond film. It's not by any means the absolute worst, but it's easily one of the weaker (and sillier) entries.
Nothing will be as silly and stupid as the Roger Moore era.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Silentpony said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Silentpony said:
Joker saying "i can't wait to show you my toys." Nope.
Harely using her baseball bat as a fake gun. Nope.

Source: http://screenrant.com/suicide-squad-deleted-scene-rumors/
You think they keep those scenes to keep the whole "Fun and Witty" tone for this reshot theatrical release ;P
You'd think if they bothered to show them in the trailer, they'd at least keep them in the movie. Its like Warner Bros just doesn't know how to make movies, in a very literal sense. They don't know you're supposed to put scenes FROM the movie IN the trailer, not just random scenes that you've already cut.
I don't know, for WB/DC, that may not be entirely true. Remember when 90% of the trailer footage from the Dawn of Justice trailers ended up being nonsensical in the movie, because they were obviously put into the script/story board because someone up top said 'That'll look great in a trailer,' regardless of how little sense it made?

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
So how exactly does one go about becoming a movie critic?

Why?...No reason...

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
As someone who doesn't read comics and rarely sees movies in the theater, I really don't have a dog in this fight. But I've always seen the value in healthy competition, and I question if even the harshest critics really want Marvel to have this genre to themselves.

Also, by way of giving them a reality check: Superman 4. The movie that was made as the result of a bet that no one could make a worse movie than Superman 3. I haven't even seen this new one, and I know it's better than Superman 4.

I have a broader question, though: what's been done with (speaking of Superman 3) crack? When I was taking my D.A.R.E. classes a quarter century ago, they never said anything about crack "giving you strange unpopular opinions". Is this just a gap in my knowledge of drugs, or does no one else know of any others? I suspect that, say, LSD would give you much better "strange opinion" results.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Just got back. Its shit. Everyone is terrible, the plot is terrible, the editing is terrible, the cinematography is terrible, the soundtrack is terrible. Everything.

Everything went wrong.
Its Watchmen all over again.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
If I can salvage two good things about the movie, it's the cast and the soundtrack. Both misused as fuck, but still.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
I saw it today. It wasn't good, it wasn't bad. It was BORING. It was just bland as all hell. You can tell a good movie was trying to claw it's way out. But it was muddled, overstuffed, nonsensical, and poorly edited. Also, the fucking plot should have been them going to some foreign country on a mission to take down a criminal, you know like in the fucking comics. I'm still not okay with the character designs. But they gotta sell that merch at Hot Topic somehow and appeal to the 14 year old scene kids.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
You know what this movie needed? Each villain to have been captured by an a different member of the the Justice League. Batman gets Harley, Cyborg grabs Deadshot, Wonder Woman gets Croc, Flash gets Captain Boomerang, and then as a super twist, Firestorm gets Inferno.
That's world building.

Now, Leto's Joker was easily the worst Joker ever, of all time. However, if any Joker needed a flower that shoots acid, or a killing palm shocker, it was him. He felt less like a Joker, and more like a guy who's pretending to be the Joker, but there's another, actual, Joker kicking about. Like Leto's Joker I'd never imagine is competent, let alone skillful, enough to kill Robin.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
The writers at Forbes generally seem to like the new DC movies. Their tastes seem to be mostly in line with my own; the linked review is basically my opinion of the film.

They gave a really thoughtful review of BvS that I thought was a nice island of sensibility amidst the raging ocean of turbulent bile that accompanied that film's first week.

Sixcess said:
The behind-the-scenes stuff that is now coming out about the editing process is terrifying. Leto has no presence in the movie because most of his scenes ended up on the cutting romm floor for the sake of a lighter rating friendly tone. The picture being painted is of a studio utterly in thrall to preview audiences and willing to compromise any shred of artistic integrity or just basic competence that the creative teams are trying to deliver, because they're still desperately trying to do the Marvel thing.

And it's still not working.
Ultimately, we the people are to blame for this. Acting on the internet's opinion is like trying to build a castle out of the tides.

BuildsLegos said:
Marvel dominates so much because DC can't get their shit together beyond "It needs to be miserable, confusing, and disrespectful to the source". You know, the opposite of a successful franchise.
I've never understood the complaint that the DC films disrespect or otherwise disregard the source material. Looking at their films from the position of a long-time comic book fan, they're much more in line with the comics than the Dark Knight films were.

Maybe that's the problem? I know when Superman Returns came out, it caught a lot of flak for aping the Donner films and not having enough action in it- as opposed to Singer's other project, which adapted the parts of the X-Men franchise that worked (Weapon X) and dumped what didn't (yellow spandex).

Then Man of Steel comes out, gives us a new design for Krypton and a new Zod with tons of building-punching, and we don't like that either. We trash one film for being too similar and the next one for being too different.

Man, the Internet's dumb.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Honestly, I thought the movie was rubbish. The acting was bad nearly all-round, the humour was forced and cringeworthy, the pacing was non-existant, the enemies laughable, I could go on for a long time.

The best thing I can say is I liked most of the music.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
bastardofmelbourne said:
The writers at Forbes generally seem to like the new DC movies. Their tastes seem to be mostly in line with my own; the linked review is basically my opinion of the film.

They gave a really thoughtful review of BvS that I thought was a nice island of sensibility amidst the raging ocean of turbulent bile that accompanied that film's first week.

Sixcess said:
The behind-the-scenes stuff that is now coming out about the editing process is terrifying. Leto has no presence in the movie because most of his scenes ended up on the cutting romm floor for the sake of a lighter rating friendly tone. The picture being painted is of a studio utterly in thrall to preview audiences and willing to compromise any shred of artistic integrity or just basic competence that the creative teams are trying to deliver, because they're still desperately trying to do the Marvel thing.

And it's still not working.
Ultimately, we the people are to blame for this. Acting on the internet's opinion is like trying to build a castle out of the tides.

BuildsLegos said:
Marvel dominates so much because DC can't get their shit together beyond "It needs to be miserable, confusing, and disrespectful to the source". You know, the opposite of a successful franchise.
I've never understood the complaint that the DC films disrespect or otherwise disregard the source material. Looking at their films from the position of a long-time comic book fan, they're much more in line with the comics than the Dark Knight films were.

Maybe that's the problem? I know when Superman Returns came out, it caught a lot of flak for aping the Donner films and not having enough action in it- as opposed to Singer's other project, which adapted the parts of the X-Men franchise that worked (Weapon X) and dumped what didn't (yellow spandex).

Then Man of Steel comes out, gives us a new design for Krypton and a new Zod with tons of building-punching, and we don't like that either. We trash one film for being too similar and the next one for being too different.

Man, the Internet's dumb.
It's not that Man of Steel had too much building punching. It's that Zack Snyder doesn't understand Superman as a character.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
IOwnTheSpire said:
Kenbo Slice said:
It's not that Man of Steel had too much building punching. It's that Zack Snyder doesn't understand Superman as a character. didn't read my mind and give me the specific version of Superman I wanted to see.
FTFY.
You're right, how wrong of me for expecting Superman to act like Superman. It's not like he's an established character or anything.

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
Kenbo Slice said:
IOwnTheSpire said:
Kenbo Slice said:
It's not that Man of Steel had too much building punching. It's that Zack Snyder doesn't understand Superman as a character. didn't read my mind and give me the specific version of Superman I wanted to see.
FTFY.
You're right, how wrong of me for expecting Superman to act like Superman. It's not like he's an established character or anything.
Superman is an established character, yes, but he's been around for over 70 years, written by numerous writers. People say he shouldn't be all brooding, yet he has been before. People say he shouldn't kill, yet he has before. There is no one correct version of Superman, and getting angry at a film for presenting their version of this character, a perfectly valid one, is absurd.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Kenbo Slice said:
IOwnTheSpire said:
Kenbo Slice said:
FTFY.
Zack Snyder at least on the most Basic Level understand Superman....unlike Leifeld's Superman: