Suikoden and Suikoden II Coming to Vita Next Week

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
47_Ronin said:
On a more serious note: Am I the only living person that liked SI better then SII?
Probably not, but it's honestly hard to put S1 above S2 objectivly, when both have equally good story but S2 having the more refined gameplay and graphics.

Personally
S2 > S1 > S5 > S3 > S4

I hated the team groupings in 3, and learned to hate everything that is from 4... lol
Suikoden 5 was the perfect call back to the older Suikodens, the problem with 5 is the character designs are mostly dull IMO.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Kaimax said:
Probably not, but it's honestly hard to put S1 above S2 objectivly, when both have equally good story but S2 having the more refined gameplay and graphics.
You are right about graphics and gameplay, I simply enjoyed the Story and the characters of S1 a lot more. Can you imagine, an up-to-snuff version of S1? No, no, let's not do that. Such thinking can only lead to disappointment.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I've been hoping for a PSN release of Suikoden 2 forever! This is almost as good.

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
[HEADING=1]:O[/HEADING]

Oh my stars, yes. Yes, please!

I love the first Suikoden and it would be perfect for my Vita. The platform would be perfect for old school games and it's about damn time it finally got on there.
Have you ever played Suikoden 2? It's seriously one of my all time favorite games. It's just so good. Plus, you can use your Suikoden save data and get all kinds of bonuses to returning characters (some even transfer certain armors, like Humphrey if he has the Mist Armor). Probably the most awesome is the return of the first hero (if you got all 108 Stars and revived Grimio) as a party member complete with his True Rune.

Suikoden 2 also has one of the best villains in gaming.

Ryan Hughes said:
Sorry I had to post this because I am so excited.

This Mother Fucker right here. Seriously, Luca Blight was a beast in every way. Fighting him was an ordeal. It took an army, 3 whole battle parties, and you still had to beat him in a duel which was tough even if he only had half health. Talk about a villain you love to hate. Watching him brutally kill people simply because he could only fueled your hate and fear of the man. And even in death, he never showed an ounce of fear or remorse. He simply stated what we already knew and died.

Man, I might wanna play my PS1 copy right about now.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
47_Ronin said:
Ryan Hughes said:
We are adding both GoG and Steam to the SRM's goals. You are right that GoG is a very good fit, but unfortunately Konami does not yet have a working relationship with GoG, so we have been trying to start one. Obviously, the success of Valkyria Chronicles on Steam, as well as releases of FFVII etc, bode well for the game on that platform, too.
Glad to hear it... but what is a SRM?

On a more serious note: Am I the only living person that liked SI better then SII?
This:
https://www.facebook.com/SuikodenRevival
Basically, the game would not have been re-released digitally without their campaign. There are other goals as well, as I mentioned, plus interviews with the creators of the games, etc.

No, you are not the only one. In fact the legendary game developer Warren Spector (Deua Ex, Thief, Wing Commander 4, Ulitma Underworld) agrees with you that SI is the best. Most people like me, though, feel that SII is the stronger title. On that note, here is Warren Spector playing Suikoden I, starts around 37minute mark:

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
Kaimax said:
47_Ronin said:

Personally
S2 > S1 > S5 > S3 > S4

I hated the team groupings in 3, and learned to hate everything that is from 4... lol
Suikoden 5 was the perfect call back to the older Suikodens, the problem with 5 is the character designs are mostly dull IMO.
funny, Suikoden 4 is the only one i ever played but i have a vita so im buying 1 and 2

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Kaimax said:
47_Ronin said:

Personally
S2 > S1 > S5 > S3 > S4

For me it's S2 -> S3 -> S5/S1. Suikoden IV I'm not counting.

Suikoden III a lot fans complained about because they changed up a lot of things, which is understandable, but I always considered them to be innovated changes while keeping the spirit of the games alive. The 'grouping thing' for example. A minor nit pick with the series, I personally have a hard enough time in a FF game deciding who to take in your party and who to leave behind... so with Suikoden having 108 recruitable characters? Of course they aren't all available as part members, but at least have should be so you get the idea. Suikoden 3 on the other hand, having 3 and a half different means I naturally get to use 4x the characters as other Suikoden games. Some fans may not like the change but I thought it fit very well.

About the only thing I didn't like was the loss of the world map.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
iblis666 said:
funny, Suikoden 4 is the only one i ever played but i have a vita so im buying 1 and 2
The problem with Suikoden 4 is they must have spent most of their budget on modern 3D graphics, animation, and voice acting, that they had to cut significant corners all over the rest of the game. There could have been a good game there, but too many shortcuts were taken in gameplay, story, character development, etc etc.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
iblis666 said:
IMO, it basically downgrades every part of the suikoden series.
-Reducing the total party to a 4 man party for no reason.
-Traveling by ship gets boring fast, and the distances between islands was far enough to make the encounter rate noticeably annoying. GODBLESS VIKI
-reduced the number of equipable runes to 41, (Suikoden 1 has 45, S2 and S3 has 87 and 55. Suikoden 5 has 88)
-Graphics on rune spells was ugly and too simple.
-Skills from S3 was removed, it was used again in S5.
etc

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
iblis666 said:
Suffice it to say that you have done yourself a great disservice that you are about to correct. The only thing that has been consistently good in the series is the music.

Ryan Hughes said:
This:
[snip]
Basically, the game would not have been re-released digitally without their campaign. There are other goals as well, as I mentioned, plus interviews with the creators of the games, etc.
Thanks for the clarification and the Specter comments.

Kaimax said:
I found it to be profoundly forgettable. I had to look up game play on the tubes just to see if I even played it (which I did). I would have preferred a princess instead of that androgynous mess of a character.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
47_Ronin said:
iblis666 said:
Suffice it to say that you have done yourself a great disservice that you are about to correct. The only thing that has been consistently good in the series is the music.

Ryan Hughes said:
This:
[snip]
Thanks for the clarification and the Specter comments.

Kaimax said:
I found it to be profoundly forgettable. I had to look up game play on the tubes just to see if I even played it (which I did). I would have preferred a princess instead of that androgynous mess of a character.
No, let's be honest here... to pretty much everyone who likes the Suikoden series. If 5 was actually 4 instead of the truly forgettable one, there wouldn't have been much of an issue. As it stands, by the time 5 rolled around, fans were tired of prequels. They wanted the goddamn finale that was building up, the Battle of the True Runes. It didn't matter if you had people coming back from 1, the issue was that the story was a stall. People were disappointed that it didn't continue the story, then were even angrier that the two prequels caused enough stagnation that Konami outright killed the IP.

I rather like 5, it's my second favorite in the series next to 2. Weirdly my list goes 2-5-3-1-4, which I think is fine because you build off of the first rather than set a standard you can't reach again. But yeah, 4 and 5 will never be truly loved because they represent the downfall of the series.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
Honestly, I thought they already were available through PSN. Great titles though and I hope it means we'll be seeing the rest of the series again too. This is the sort of thing that would make a perfect anthology package with soundtracks, art books, etc.
I is on PSN, but not playable on the Vita. II is not on PSN yet.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Update:

OK so North America as well as Latin America get Suikoden I and Suikoden II tomorrow, Tuesday the 9th. Just announced this morning, the EU/PAL-region PSN will get the games sometime in January. This includes Australia and New Zealand. Reports differ on whether or not the PSP will be supported as well. I assume not, but there was a German-language press release circulating this morning that claimed it would be.

From here, the SRM is re-evaluating, likely with a focus on Suikoden III and a EU release. . . 13 years too late. And PS4 compatibility with Suikoden I and II.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Quiotu said:
They wanted the goddamn finale that was building up, the Battle of the True Runes. It didn't matter if you had people coming back from 1, the issue was that the story was a stall. People were disappointed that it didn't continue the story, then were even angrier that the two prequels caused enough stagnation that Konami outright killed the IP.
I honestly never minded the smaller scale of the Suikoden games ("smaller" compared to the usual "good vs. evil"-save the whole world/universe scope of most RPGs). I found it refreshing that the stories revolved around national conflicts where bigger, magical elements popped in and out, but didn't consume all the screen time.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
It is now live. PS3, PSP, and Vita are all supported here in the US.

The price is $5.99 USD, surprisingly low.

EDIT
The 5.99 price was a mistake, Konami says. The game has been removed temporarily to reset the price. Everyone who purchased the game at 5.99 will be able to keep it, obviously.