SummerSale Tactics

SmilingWorlock

Knowledge is power.
Oct 22, 2010
SummerSale on Steam is coming up, and I was wondering: How to get the best value and all the games? Because nothing angers on more then buying a 10 dollar 66% percent of instead of 75% the next day.
So that in mind, I think I'll wait to the very last day (thats going to be hard!) to buy what I want, so it can't come on the next day. I also plan to only buy games from my now laid-out wishlist, to avoid buying to much (like last year - I don't even like Assasins Creed, why did I buy ALL of them?)

Whats your plan? Are you buying packs, publisher cataloges or just something you feel like?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
SmilingWorlock said:
SummerSale on Steam is coming up, and I was wondering: How to get the best value and all the games? Because nothing angers on more then buying a 10 dollar 66% percent of instead of 75% the next day.
So that in mind, I think I'll wait to the very last day (thats going to be hard!) to buy what I want, so it can't come on the next day. I also plan to only buy games from my now laid-out wishlist, to avoid buying to much (like last year - I don't even like Assasins Creed, why did I buy ALL of them?)

Whats your plan? Are you buying packs, publisher cataloges or just something you feel like?
Don't buy things on general sale until the last day of the sale, check every day to find out if the things you want are on a daily deal. If they never do go on a daily deal, then buy them at the regular sale price on the very last day of the sale. That's how you avoid the 66% one day, 75% the next problem.

Alien Mole

The Quite Obscure
Oct 6, 2009
Best systeem seems to be holding off the buy on whatever you want until it's on a daily sale, and buying it the last day if it never comes up, like you said.

Personally I like the indie bundles, and tend to pounce on anything extremely cheap (below two euros) if it looks even remotely interesting. I tend to sort 'specials' by price: lowest every day, just to make sure.

Might pick up the Bethsoft bundle this year if the price is right. Full Elder Scrolls and current-gen Fallouts would be pretty sweet. Everything else is gravy.

EDIT:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Don't buy things on general sale until the last day of the sale, check every day to find out if the things you want are on a daily deal. If they never do go on a daily deal, then buy them at the regular sale price on the very last day of the sale. That's how you avoid the 66% one day, 75% the next problem.
Ninja'd!Drat!

SmilingWorlock

Knowledge is power.
Oct 22, 2010
Alien Mole said:
Personally I like the indie bundles, and tend to pounce on anything extremely cheap (below two euros) if it looks even remotely interesting. I tend to sort 'specials' by price: lowest every day, just to make sure.

Might pick up the Bethsoft bundle this year if the price is right. Full Elder Scrolls and current-gen Fallouts would be pretty sweet. Everything else is gravy.
Well, I am going for Skyrim, but I already have Fallout 3, and I don't think I will go back in time with the Elder Scrolls, so I guess I'm going cheaper with just Skyrim (which will be on regular sale, I guess). I wonder if Valve will use the opportunity to promote Steamworks.

Alien Mole

The Quite Obscure
Oct 6, 2009
SmilingWorlock said:
Well, I am going for Skyrim, but I already have Fallout 3, and I don't think I will go back in time with the Elder Scrolls, so I guess I'm going cheaper with just Skyrim (which will be on regular sale, I guess). I wonder if Valve will use the opportunity to promote Steamworks.
It's the collector in me. I'll always go for the option that most bloats my games list when it's only a few more currency (internationalism, whoo!) Plus, given all of Morrowind and Oblivion's insanely overhaul-ey mods I'm sure there's a few hours of fun to be had. Played both, never finished. Played bits of both Fallouts, too, but never had my own copies, and I'd -definitely- enjoy those.

Anything else I'd find in the Beth pack that would be worth my time?

SmilingWorlock

Knowledge is power.
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah, I know that collectors feeling. I had like 5 games on Steam pre-sale last summer, and then I had some Publisher Packs. I have yet to play most of those games. I got the Sega pack for the TW Series (not that I don't already own them, but my copies are traveling the world between my family) and now there is so much Sport games clogging everything up.

Alien Mole said:
Anything else I'd find in the Beth pack that would be worth my time?
Well, Brink is listed under Bethesda, but I don't know if it's in the pack, and I believe, no one cares.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
That's pretty much it. It's not complicated. Those entire publisher packs that are like 80-90% off are a safe bet as well if you're going to be getting that much.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
I've taken the liberty of making an image to represent my summer sale tactics this year:

There might be a bit more clicking than that, who knows?

In all seriousness wait for the game you want to be on one of the daily deals, and if they don't come up then just wait until the final day of the general deals just to be sure.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
My strategy mainly involves throwing money at valve like a guy in a strip club whose wallet's just caught fire.

Actually this year to avoid another massive game backlog, I'm limiting myself only games on my wishlist and dlc for games I already own if they reduced by around 60%. I might give myself a budget to limit myself further but that would require an iron will something steam has become very efficient at breaking.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
The Artificially Prolonged said:
My strategy mainly involves throwing money at valve like a guy in a strip club whose wallet's just caught fire.

Actually this year to avoid another massive game backlog, I'm limiting myself only games on my wishlist and dlc for games I already own if they reduced by around 60%. I might give myself a budget to limit myself further but that would require an iron will something steam has become very efficient at breaking.
Come on now. We all know nobody can stick to that when they see "500 INDIE GAMES, ALL FOR £2.50!", no human can resist VALVe's siren like charms when it comes to sales. They literally lure your wallet into a rock and suck the life out of it while you think you're about to get some.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Midgeamoo said:

Come on now. We all know nobody can stick to that when they see "500 INDIE GAMES, ALL FOR £2.50!", no human can resist VALVe's siren like charms when it comes to sales. They literally lure your wallet into a rock and suck the life out of it while you think you're about to get some.
Too true and now with steam mobile there is nowhere that is safe from the siren's call.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I already checked the list after it got leaked (check the News Room forum; you'll find it before long.) Of that list, only Zeno Clash and Lone Survivor are games I'm interested in, though if Ys Origin goes on sale at the same time as Oath in Felghana (which I already have) and if there's games outside the bundles that go on general sale, I might wind up getting more stuff.

Edit:
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Bethesda you mean? Or did I miss something?
"Bethsoft" is short for "Bethesda Softworks". Like "Squenix" for Square Enix.

SmilingWorlock

Knowledge is power.
Oct 22, 2010
The_Lost_King said:
I'm not sure if it is even coming now. It is july 10th and still no sale.
I read somewhere in the Steam forums they'll start on the 14th. Yet I have no idea how valid that is. It was quite a while ago, and it sounded more like a rather solid prediction.

I can resist that Indie games sales, mostly because I never really enjoyed most of those titles. It's probaly about immersion or something. I like really Bastion, though.
Too true and now with steam mobile there is nowhere that is safe from the siren's call.
Hah. Just get a Nokia phone, they can't run shit.