Sun Declares 3DS is "Game For a Barf"

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Was this before or after the page with the needlessly topless woman?

Bastion of journalistic integrity.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Silent Biohazard Solid said:
Casual Shinji said:
Wouldn't this be easily fixed by turing off the 3-D effect on the 3DS?
That would kind of defeat the purpose of the 3DS wouldn't it?
But they did make me think... Did Nintendo at all test long term effects of this particular type of 3D on the eyes? I mean, even in 3D movies, they're 3 hours at most. And let's face it, we're gamers. We'll be gaming for 5+ hours sometimes, sometimes for a whole day. That can't be very good for the eyes, I imagine, to be forcefed depth perception where there isn't any.
Does playing one of the HD twins on an SDTV defeat THEIR purpose? If you say "no" then turning off 3D does not defeat the 3DS' purpose.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
InterAirplay said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
InterAirplay said:
Ranooth said:
And I declare that The Sun is retarded.
I second this motion. All in favour?
Aye x1,000,000

The Sun is ridiculous tabloid bullshit and I will die before I ever work for it or any of it's fellow bastardising hell-spawn.
I also propose an amendment to the original motion - we travel back in time and stop Rupert Murdoch from ever having been born. Honestly, society would be a LOT better off if that old bastard never existed.
Now THIS is a motion. I back this shit.

Apr 24, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
No, whatever shred of legitimacy the report may have had went out the window as soon as the words "The Sun" were attached to it.
Hey, now. Can't go letting "the truth" get in the way of a good story...

Gaming King

Apr 9, 2010
For once I fully agree with the opinions inappropriately inserted into the end of the article. You can turn the 3D off anyway if you're too much of a pussy for it.

Bloodbabe2003

Dec 25, 2008
Funny, I get really bad motion sickness, but the 3DS doesn't make me ill. And, working at Game, I've not had one person coming back with a complaint of any kind of headaches. Some say "Oh, it makes my eyes a bit funny."

Play a Guitar Hero game for about an hour, then stare at the wall. The wallpaper crawling away? An optical illusion. Same difference. You wouldn't sit playing games for long enough to have 'serious side effects' unless you have a bladder of steel and mastered the art of inhaling nutrients from the air. I've tried this. I managed two and a half hours before I needed to move.

The Sun is not a source of news, it's a source of boobs. Really.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
I'm sure there'll be ton more tests where some of them say it's deadly as fuck and the other will say it cures cancer.
And besides maybe YOU personally have a positive/negative effect from 3D just cause YOU're YOU.

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
Vanguard_Ex said:
InterAirplay said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
InterAirplay said:
Ranooth said:
And I declare that The Sun is retarded.
I second this motion. All in favour?
Aye x1,000,000

The Sun is ridiculous tabloid bullshit and I will die before I ever work for it or any of it's fellow bastardising hell-spawn.
I also propose an amendment to the original motion - we travel back in time and stop Rupert Murdoch from ever having been born. Honestly, society would be a LOT better off if that old bastard never existed.
Now THIS is a motion. I back this shit.
AYE-AYE CAPTAIN! I mean... Aye. Lets get'im.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
mjc0961 said:
Mine strangely got replaced by some really stupid video of guys playing with buckets.
No it's still there. You just have to look harder. It's still there on my 3DS.

Also I haven't done this before and I'm not starting now but I had to point this out.

My captcha says "from destra." It sounds like someone was trying to mix a spy film and a fantasy film together. "From Destra with Love"

I'd totally see it.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
I'm willing to bet that his raised blood pressure was due to him playing a game, not due to the 3D effect.

When I'm at the climax of a story-based game, or if I'm getting a really good streak in a multiplayer game, my heart starts to race. If you're sitting down, but you're engaged in something that excites you, then you are NOT at rest, whether you're playing a game, watching a movie, or reading about something fascinating.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Wouldn't this be easily fixed by turing off the 3-D effect on the 3DS?
That would kind of defeat the purpose of the 3DS wouldn't it?
But they did make me think... Did Nintendo at all test long term effects of this particular type of 3D on the eyes? I mean, even in 3D movies, they're 3 hours at most. And let's face it, we're gamers. We'll be gaming for 5+ hours sometimes, sometimes for a whole day. That can't be very good for the eyes, I imagine, to be forcefed depth perception where there isn't any.
I'm sure they did plenty of testing; however, it was probably focused more on the 45 min to an hour range. That's about how long you're suppose to play video games. Do most people play longer? Yes, but keep in mind, even regular screens cause eye strain. The great thing about a portable is you can start playing them instantly, so playing when you can (or in this case, when you should) is a lot easier.

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
What's at issue here is that people who the Sun markets itself to are not the people who actually read articles. Or do much thinking at all, for that matter.

Jul 11, 2008
Balobo said:
Does playing one of the HD twins on an SDTV defeat THEIR purpose? If you say "no" then turning off 3D does not defeat the 3DS' purpose.
That's not an accurate comparison.
Think of it this way, turning off 3D on a 3DS would be the same as me playing my PS3 on my HDTV with HTMI cable and everything, and then going into the video menu and setting my screen resolution to 480p. It DOES defeat the purpose of owning an HDTV.
The only reason to switch off the 3D function in a 3DS is if you're on the go, and seriously need to conserve battery power. That's it.
If you're gonna switch off the 3D because you don't like the 3D, then why buy the 3DS?

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Balobo said:
That's not an accurate comparison.
Think of it this way, turning off 3D on a 3DS would be the same as me playing my PS3 on my HDTV with HTMI cable and everything, and then going into the video menu and setting my screen resolution to 480p. It DOES defeat the purpose of owning an HDTV.
The only reason to switch off the 3D function in a 3DS is if you're on the go, and seriously need to conserve battery power. That's it.
If you're gonna switch off the 3D because you don't like the 3D, then why buy the 3DS?
Haha, how is that any more accurate?

Why buy a 3DS? Does improved online, better graphics, and an analog stick mean absolutely nothing over the regular DS? Oh no, it has 3D. If you turn 3D off I guess it must be a useless system. Oh god, what do we do?

Oh, and turning 3D on in SSFIV3D turns off antialiasing, as a result I play in 2D.

Jul 11, 2008
SFR said:
I'm sure they did plenty of testing; however, it was probably focused more on the 45 min to an hour range. That's about how long you're suppose to play video games. Do most people play longer? Yes, but keep in mind, even regular screens cause eye strain. The great thing about a portable is you can start playing them instantly, so playing when you can (or in this case, when you should) is a lot easier.
But this isn't a cellphone. It's not like people are gonna be playing 5 minute $1 games.
Think of the titles they announced. Metal Gear Solid 3, Ocarina of Time remake... If they expect people to only put in an hour at a time for games like that... Well, then they don't know gamers.

And yes, they tell you, "Play for an hour, take a 15 minute break," but all that's gonna do is keep them from getting sued, when someone DOES play for 5 hours straight and their eyes bleed out.

Point is, yes, they say you're supposed to play for only an hour. But I seriously hope the TESTING they did was for much longer than just an hour. I mean, even if they can't get sued, if long hours of 3D gaming can cause severe eye damage, then they're gonna lose business just from the bad stigma(tism). Hahah, bad joke, but seriously. My point is, if it doesn't specifically say, "Playing longer than an hour can cause permanent eye damage" or whatever, then I hope they tested it enough to prove that it doesn't.

Jul 11, 2008
Balobo said:

Why buy a 3DS? Does improved online, better graphics, and an analog stick mean absolutely nothing over the regular DS? Oh no, it has 3D. If you turn 3D off I guess it must be a useless system. Oh god, what do we do?

Oh, and turning 3D on in SSFIV3D turns off antialiasing, as a result I play in 2D.
It's in the title. You can't spell 3DS without 3D. It's their one key feature that sold this handheld for them.
And yes, improved online, better graphics, and an extra analog stick do sound like great features... That I can get in the NGP when that comes out.

SPARTANXIII

Nov 24, 2009
This, coming from a paper whose entry page it a woman with her norks out.

Yeah, I'm not gonna take their word.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Balobo said:

It's in the title. You can't spell 3DS without 3D. It's their one key feature that sold this handheld for them.
And yes, improved online, better graphics, and an extra analog stick do sound like great features... That I can get in the NGP when that comes out.
But why can't you just get them with the 3DS? Because they put 3D in and you can't stand using the system without it? Haha, you're a sheep.