Super Fighting Robot Soapboxium

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Exactly the same reason I enjoy The Newsroom. I also enjoyed the West Wing. Even when it was at its worst it always made me feel better about British politics by seeing how much worse we could have it. How anyone in American politics gets anything done is beyond me, tho I do realise that as it is a TV show it might not be a good representation of the American political process.

Duffy13

May 18, 2009
Sorkin's shows are really more about an idealized version of their subject with some real world based examples scattered in for relatable context with fun, quick, and amusing writing and characters. Everyone I know that didn't like the Newsroom cited that they didn't like it trying to tell them modern journalism is a great thing, they were missing that the show was more a critique of modern journalism and idealized version than anything else.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
I'm trying to figure out if sopaboxery is intentional or not. Because I like it. It's fun to look at. so-pa-boxery

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
O_O
I didn't got any of that.
Am I getting old?

You damn kids with your damn.. um..
Dammit! I can't even figure out anything related to this comic to finish my living artifact impression :(

Can someone explain me what this strip is about?

Hiramas

Aug 31, 2010
blackrave said:
O_O
I didn't got any of that.
Am I getting old?

You damn kids with your damn.. um..
Dammit! I can't even figure out anything related to this comic to finish my living artifact impression :(

Can someone explain me what this strip is about?
Aaron Sorkin is very up on the soapbox in his shows. Usually his characters are well-meaning, impossibly good left wing personas who like to preach about how they can't be true to themselves because the world forces them to be not as nice as they would like. But they are very lovable characters. And oh, yes. Japan has monsters.

Can please someone give Olivia Munn a webseries or something after the show ends? Sloan must not be allowed to die!
Best character to come out of that (great but faulty) show. Sloan gets a promotion and has to cover social issues maybe?
PLEASE

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Gizmo1990 said:
Exactly the same reason I enjoy The Newsroom. I also enjoyed the West Wing. Even when it was at its worst it always made me feel better about British politics by seeing how much worse we could have it. How anyone in American politics gets anything done is beyond me, tho I do realise that as it is a TV show it might not be a good representation of the American political process.
The funny thing is, most people forget that the American system was designed that way on purpose. The constant fighting was supposed to filter out bad ideas, and integrate change slowly. Its fine by me, the less time government spends getting things done, the better. Hasn't always worked, though.

Anyway, I could never really appreciate the west wing or other shows. I wouldn't call it propaganda, but It's certainly trying to push an agenda. Maybe the writer comes from a different era, but I'm far to jaded to have a positive attitude towards politics or the media, and that's not likely to change, with or without his witty dialogue.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
You should have put some sort of label on the monster like whaling or nuclear power as regulated by the mafia.

It's interesting to compare Jeff Daniel's choice of roles between The Newsroom and Dumb and Dumber To, both portraying something that was better in some bygone era.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
I really got a kick out of the West Wing, but I find it hard to get into The Newsroom. It has just a little more inflated inspirational moments and soap-opera-y interpersonal drama than I can actually enjoy, whereas the West Wing leaned more towards sometimes diving a little deep into the dry minutiae of Washington wheeling and dealing, which I personally enjoyed a good deal.

That said, I still watch the Newsroom, and enjoy it pretty thoroughly, because I like what Aaron Sorkin does with dialogue, his back-and-forth style is really fun. I don't know how, or even if, that would work in an anime, but I'm morbidly fascinated to see if it could.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Yeah, I never got into any of his shows BECAUSE I hate when a TV show preaches at me, telling me "YOU'RE WRONG FOR THINKING ANY DIFFERENT FROM US!!!" That's what's wrong with the Simpsons now (one of a great many things wrong) and Family Guy almost unwatchable.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
As far as I'm concerned, Sorkin is one of those people who's earned the right to be up his own arse, through being part of an endangered species of people who are capable of possessing both a soul and a brain simultaneously.

In a world where Fox News runs rampant to cartoonishly villainous proportions, a show like The Newsroom is a necessary counter-weight. Is it idealistic? Yes. Is It preachy? Sometimes. But on both counts, we fucking well need someone to be.

I really can't wait to catch up on Season 3 when I go home next week.

dharmaBum0

Mar 17, 2012
Look, the Newsroom may be a sanctimonious, solopsistic, agitating mess; it may be overblown with sorkan mary-sue-ism and blatant misogyny. But it has Sam Waterston going ham in every scene he's in, and I'd watch that until the sun blew up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvE1CTwPegU