Super Mario 3D Land Review

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Lukeje said:
Nazulu said:
Lukeje said:
Nazulu said:
Are you serious? How do you think small children and casuals get those reflexes we have? BY FUCKING TRAINING OF COURSE! I started when I was a wee lad playing Super Mario Brothers 3 and Battle Toads. Guess what? I SUCKED! But I improved gradually because I really enjoyed the game and I really wanted to see what was next. Are saying people can't get through games today if they cannot cheat?
Yes. This may surprise you, but some people don't want to get frustrated by games. This is why gaming was originally a niche market.
Then they should work out their problems or find some other hobby. Seriously, that's pathetic.
No. What is pathetic is that attitude. Just because they don't play the game the same way as you doesn't mean that they shouldn't be allowed to get enjoyment out of it.
Real mature. It has nothing do with playing the game the same way as me or not. It's the fact they can't except defeat and must cheat to enjoy a game (You'll never see them in the Olympics). Don't tell me it's not silly. These people should be told it's just a game and get over it.

Also, I'm suspicious that you mention people like this, because I've never seen or heard of them. If they do exist, then they would be a minority for sure.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Nazulu said:
Also, I'm suspicious that you mention people like this, because I've never seen or heard of them. If they do exist, then they would be a minority for sure.
They're the majority. They're the people that tried to play a game once, got frustrated and gave up gaming as a hobby forever based on that experience.

(Edit: in previous generations of gaming).

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Lukeje said:
Nazulu said:
They're the majority. They're the people that tried to play a game once, got frustrated and gave up gaming as a hobby forever based on that experience.
Mind getting me proof of that? I bet it's more because it's not in their interest.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Nazulu said:
Lukeje said:
Nazulu said:
Mind getting me proof of that? I bet it's more because it's not in their interest.
You've literally never met a person that found a game frustrating and then gave up on it?

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Lukeje said:
Nazulu said:
Lukeje said:
Nazulu said:
You've literally never met a person that found a game frustrating and then gave up on it?
Yeah, because it wasn't in their interest. Now if your talking very very difficult games, then that's different.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Nazulu said:
Yeah, because it wasn't in their interest. Now if your talking very very difficult games, then that's different.
And do you think that they might have found it in their interest if they hadn't gotten frustrated?

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Lukeje said:
Nazulu said:
And do you think that they might have found it in their interest if they hadn't gotten frustrated?
If they enjoy a game then they will keep going at it, this goes for everyone I know. Also, you still haven't given me any proof of this majority. I think you just really want to win. Either way, I'm still going to think it's pathetic and they should just get over it and try again (Unless it's some kind of mental handicap).

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Nazulu said:
If they enjoy a game then they will keep going at it, this goes for everyone I know. Also, you still haven't given me any proof of this majority. I think you just really want to win. Either way, I'm still going to think it's pathetic and they should just get over it and try again (Unless it's some kind of mental handicap).
I would have thought the masses of gamers interested in playing `casual' games was evidence enough, but if you refuse to dig your head out of the sand I'm not entirely sure there's much I can say to convince you.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Lukeje said:
Nazulu said:
I would have thought the masses of gamers interested in playing `casual' games was evidence enough, but if you refuse to dig your head out of the sand I'm not entirely sure there's much I can say to convince you.
Bravo! Another insult. Anyway, you still haven't given me any evidence. As for the people who like to play casual games, got any proof that they only enjoy casual games? And even then, how do you know that this game won't sell just as well without invincibility? Remember this is Mario we're talking about, slap his face on the box and your guaranteed to make some sales already.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Nazulu said:
Another insult.
I don't think you know what that word means.
Anyway, you still haven't given me any evidence. As for the people who like to play casual games, got any proof that they only enjoy casual games?
I didn't say that. I said that with such aids they can enjoy non-casual games.
And even then, how do you know that this game won't sell just as well without invincibility? Remember this is Mario we're talking about, slap his face on the box and your guaranteed to make some sales already.
It can't hurt, can it?

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Lukeje said:
Nazulu said:
Another insult.
Anyway, you still haven't given me any evidence. As for the people who like to play casual games, got any proof that they only enjoy casual games?
And even then, how do you know that this game won't sell just as well without invincibility? Remember this is Mario we're talking about, slap his face on the box and your guaranteed to make some sales already.
It can't hurt, can it?
Don't split it up, it gets too messy after awhile.

1) Your head is in the sand, meaning your ignoring it or your ignorant. Not the way you talk to people if you want to make friends.

2) I know you didn't say it. I just brought it up because it's still directly on topic. Do you honestly think all these people who play casual games can't enjoy games that are challenging? Get it now?

3) That's not the point. If it still sells just as well, then your wrong. I would hope that your underestimating this mass you speak of and that they can enjoy a good challenge. We don't even know if this game is even going to be hard, like actually hard.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Nazulu said:
Lukeje said:
Nazulu said:
Another insult.
It can't hurt, can it?
Don't split it up, it gets too messy after awhile.

1) Your head is in the sand, meaning your ignoring it or your ignorant. Not the way you talk to people if you want to make friends.

2) I know you didn't say it. I just brought it up because it's still directly on topic. Do you honestly think all these people who play casual games can't enjoy games that are challenging? Get it now?

3) That's not the point. If it still sells just as well, then your wrong. I would hope that your underestimating this mass you speak of and that they can enjoy a good challenge. We don't even know if this game is even going to be hard, like actually hard.
1) Where in this conversation was I trying to be your friend? I just summarized the air you're giving off with respect to this topic. If you choose to interpret that as a personal attack then I suppose that's your right.

2) I didn't say that, either. They should be given the option though.

3) It's going to be Nintendo hard, by definition [/joke]. It's hard enough that Nintendo apparently thought that enough of their potential audience wouldn't be able to reach the end without the help to invest (what I imagine was) a significant amount of play testing and development into the Tanooki suit.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Nazulu said:
orangeapples said:
maxben said:
Matthew94 said:
1. The invincible power-up is optional, why complain about it??
Because its a ridiculous mechanic. Note that it didn't really affect the score, but is worth mentioning as stupid.
but small children and casual gamers will also want to pick up the game and they don't have the reflexes we do.

Did you want to shut them out of gaming? Games cannot solely focus on the core gamers. If gaming did not every allow people new to gaming in, gaming will die with the last of the 80s children. Not everyone has been gaming since they were 4.

And sure, you might think it is stupid, but you'll probably never even see it. And if you do, then you're clearly not as good as you thought.

As for me, I'm probably going to do bad intentionally on some playthroughs just so I can run around in the game ans say, "I AM A GOD! YOU ARE A FOOL FOR THINKING YOU CAN HARM ME!!!" I personally thought that GOD MODE was always an acceptable feature in video games. It's hilarious. I know we had it in the 80s and 90s, so why is it considered a plague that is destroying the video game industry today?
Are you serious? How do you think small children and casuals get those reflexes we have? BY FUCKING TRAINING OF COURSE! I started when I was a wee lad playing Super Mario Brothers 3 and Battle Toads. Guess what? I SUCKED! But I improved gradually because I really enjoyed the game and I really wanted to see what was next. Are saying people can't get through games today if they cannot cheat?

I wouldn't mind if it was unlockable cheat to get invincibility and whatnot, but this is just sad.
Children and casuals are not core gamers. They don't HAVE to train to play games. Not everyone has fun playing a game when they are dying every other opportunity. They think it is stupid. part of a game is to have mindless stupid fun. You're thinking of a sport. Eventually they will get board of the invincibility and try to do better. It is supposed to encourage new gamers, not punish them.

Also, games were a lot easier when we were younger and we got to gradually get better as games evolved. 3 dimensions are really confusing in video games. You don't think so since you've played them for so long, but the reality is that it is complicated, way more than our 2D and 2.5D days. I've seen people new to gaming play, It's not pretty. Lots of walking and dying, and that was in 2D. In 3D they gave up because it was just way too difficult. New people need this since they don't have our advantage of training.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Interesting, sounds like a cross between Mario 64 and one of the level-based one like SMB3 instead of being hub-based. If they really wanted to harken back to the bizarreness of Mario Land, maybe try making a 3D version of this...

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Lukeje said:
1) Where in this conversation was I trying to be your friend? I just summarized the air you're giving off with respect to this topic. If you choose to interpret that as a personal attack then I suppose that's your right.

3) It's going to be Nintendo hard, by definition [/joke]. It's hard enough that Nintendo apparently thought that enough of their potential audience wouldn't be able to reach the end without the help to invest (what I imagine was) a significant amount of play testing and development into the Tanooki suit.
1) It's a figure of speech, it means it's rude and no one would like hearing it. You say it to your friends and see how long they respect you for.

2) So you've giving me no evidence. Just fluff and your belief.

3) Then they can make an easy and hard campaign. Really, it's not that hard, especially for a billion dollar business.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
orangeapples said:
Children and casuals are not core gamers. They don't HAVE to train to play games. Not everyone has fun playing a game when they are dying every other opportunity. They think it is stupid. Part of a game is to have mindless stupid fun. You're thinking of a sport. Eventually they will get board of the invincibility and try to do better. It is supposed to encourage new gamers, not punish them.

Also, games were a lot easier when we were younger and we got to gradually get better as games evolved. 3 dimensions are really confusing in video games. You don't think so since you've played them for so long, but the reality is that it is complicated, way more than our 2D and 2.5D days. I've seen people new to gaming play, It's not pretty. Lots of walking and dying, and that was in 2D. In 3D they gave up because it was just way too difficult. New people need this since they don't have our advantage of training.
I wasn't a core gamer starting off as well, and neither were my parents when arcades came out. You should be able to have fun even when you lose. I swear, you people make this up as you go to suit you. I really believe people can love a Mario game trying to solve puzzles and over come difficult challenges, that's the most fun part! Like everything in life, you improve the more you practice/play. And if your not enjoying it from the beginning, then it's not for you.

Also, games were definitely not easier when we were younger. I've beaten more 3D games than 2D games easily. You really are making this all up. "New people need this because they didn't have our advantage of training?" You can't be serious. How do you think we became more experienced? It wasn't because I had easy modes in Super Metroid and Metal Slug, that's for sure. In fact, arcade games are still very difficult and popular so I really doubt these casuals your talking about are at some disadvantage.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Nazulu said:
Lukeje said:

1) It's a figure of speech, it means it's rude and no one would like hearing it. You say it to your friends and see how long they respect you for.
I speak my mind and my friends respect me for that.
What would you accept as proof?
3) Then they can make an easy and hard campaign. Really, it's not that hard, especially for a billion dollar business.
Yes, yes it is. Much harder than just implementing a god mode. It would require dual development and at least double the work load and playtesting.
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
There's not getting frustrated, then there's making your consumer lazy.

My little brother (I'm 24, he's 5) used the "play for me" button in both Donkey Kong Country Returns and NSMB. Now if he loses once in anything, and nothing comes along to bail him out, he quits the game and won't play it ever again. Is this what we want our kids to do?
...and how do you know that he wouldn't have done that anyway?

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Lukeje said:
Nazulu said:
Lukeje said:

I speak my mind and my friends respect me for that.
What would you accept as proof?
Yes, yes it is. Much harder than just implementing a god mode. It would require dual development and at least double the work load and playtesting.
1) You insult your friends, and they respect you for that? whatever.

2) You should know. Oh, forget it.

3) I feel so sorry for them, it must be really difficult to add an easy and a hard mode. I can't blame them, it's not like they've never done it before 100 times.

Yeah, this is going nowhere. Forget this ever happened.