Super Mario Bros Archivists Return Film to Silver Screen

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Super Mario Bros Archivists Return Film to Silver Screen

Even cult hits of dubious quality are worth remembering.

"More often than not, seemingly unpopular films are forgotten and lost forever unless someone acts quickly to preserve it," Steven Applebaum of the told the Star News Online [http://www.smbmovie.com/]. "For example, Blade Runner (which one could say is Super Mario Bros. closest cousin) took quite a few years to become a cult hit after its lukewarm theatrical release."

Comparison of Ridley Scott's landmark 1982 sci-fi flick to the SMB film aside, he does have a point. As actors like Dennis Hopper (who starred in the film as the king Koopa) pass away, films like Super Mario Bros. would just "have remained a quirk in film history" if no attempt was made to remember them. That's the entire point of the SMB: The Movie Archive, and it's for that reason that the Archivists are returning the movie to the big screen for its 19th anniversary - once in Wilmington, NC on Thursday, June 21, and in Seattle, WA on the 22nd and 23rd.

These screenings, as well as showings in New York City and Los Angeles earlier in the year, are the first time that Super Mario Bros. has been in theaters since its original 1993 release.

Between Seattle, NYC, LA and Wilmington, one of those seems a bit out of place. But the SMB movie was originally filmed in the Wilmington area, and Applebaum says that locals who worked on the film will be on hand for the screening - as will some props and items seen in the final project. Personally, I'm hoping for those jump-boots Mario and Luigi used at the end.

According to Applebaum, one of the biggest surprises about the SMB: The Movie Archive screenings was learning how much people who worked on the film - which, let's face it, isn't considered a masterpiece - genuinely enjoyed it rather than casting it off as an old shame. "It's a popular perception that everyone hated what they were doing when in actuality they were just making the best with a project everyone believed to be something special. They still see it as something with potential."

If you're in Wilmington NC, the screening will be at the Thalian Hall Center for the Performing Arts at 7:30 PM on Thursday the 21st. If you're in or around Seattle, there will be two performances on June 22 and 23 at the Egyptian Theatre, both at midnight. Tickets can be ordered online here [https://www.etix.com/ticket/servlet/onlineSale?action=selectPerformance&performance_id=1624214&cobrand=thalianhall], respectively.

The last time I watched the Super Mario Bros movie was back in college, and I admit I had a fun time with it. To be fair, I'd also had like six White Russians at the time, but it was enjoyable all the same.

Source: Wilm on Film [http://wilmonfilm.blogs.starnewsonline.com/10688/more-with-super-mario-bros-archivists-about-wilmington-screening-pt-2/?tc=ar]

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I loved the movie, I don't care what anyone says about it. I'd watch it again and again and again. Just wish it would come to my home town so I can see it on the big screen.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I was a kid the last and only time I watched it on TV and I kinda enjoyed it, only for the (not so) subtle references of the original source material (the games) and just to see what wacky and outlandish creation would they come up with next.

In short, I didn't hated it, but I certainly don't see it as a cult classic. I'd like to see it again, just for the lols.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
After years of films by Uwe Bowl, this film has started to shine a little brighter.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
I tried to watch it again recently, having only seen it once when it came out.

I couldn't do it. I couldn't make it through.

I guess I'm just too old for it. [small]Says the person who watched and enjoyed Ichigo Mashimaro and DiGi Charat[/small]

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Oh god, I remember seeing this when I was 6 in the movie theaters with my dad, we used to play the original game together all the time. After the movie I turned to him and told him I didn't want to play it anymore.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Rednog said:
Oh god, I remember seeing this when I was 6 in the movie theaters with my dad, we used to play the original game together all the time. After the movie I turned to him and told him I didn't want to play it anymore.
Whereas I watched it long before I'd ever played the games... and thoroughly enjoyed it (again, I was a kid at the time). As a result, I view the film and the games as two separate but related entities.

I'll probably watch it again one of these years - it is on a shelf downstairs somewhere...

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
I liked the Super Mario Movie. Sure, I was a kid, but as much as I loved the game Mario was just a guy breaking bricks and abusing reptiles. I knew the whole New York thing didn't matter because it was just kind of... cool... in a weird dorky way it was just cool. If you add in all the (rather nonexistent for the time) context of the games then yeah, it's ruined. However, I don't know... it just works on its own.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
holy shit! i love wilmingtonn, nc! if anyone goes there, make sure to stop by the Soapbox. it's a bar/laundromat. in the basement, i saw standup comedy, and upstairs i saw the hellzapoppin freakshow. when i used to hop trains and travel, we hung out there for a bit, i love that town. ALSO! stop by I <3 NY pizza. good fuckin pizza.

other things worth noting: Eastbound and Down was filmed there. as well as One Tree Hill. the place next to Soapbox has $1 tacos on... monday i think it is.

seriously one of my favorite places ever. despite the horrible first night i had there. police, hospitals, sleeping in a parking garage elevator until being kicked out and just crashing behind a nearby bush. the next morning, finding the house all my friends were at by the description of "a green house" on the street who's name i forget now. i walked down that street knocking on every door of every green house until i finally found it. Arkham House. an awesome punk house owned by Dan and Art.

god damn... so many good memories from that place.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
John Funk said:
The last time I watched the Super Mario Bros movie was back in college, and I admit I had a fun time with it. To be fair, I'd also had like six White Russians at the time, but it was enjoyable all the same.
Lets be honest, with enough alcohol, Any movie would be good... well, maybe not Twilight...

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Quiet Stranger said:
I loved the movie, I don't care what anyone says about it. I'd watch it again and again and again. Just wish it would come to my home town so I can see it on the big screen.
I'm right there with ya. Sure, it's got NOTHING to do with Super Mario the game, but it's pretty damn funny otherwise. I mean it had bitching jump boots powered by Bullet Bills!
TRUST THE FUNGUS

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Qitz said:
Quiet Stranger said:
I'm right there with ya. Sure, it's got NOTHING to do with Super Mario the game, but it's pretty damn funny otherwise. I mean it had bitching jump boots powered by Bullet Bills!
TRUST THE FUNGUS
I concur. I obsessed over this flick as a little kid. It's just so damn weird you can't look away.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Ugh. I hated this movie then, and I still hate it now. Even with a group of friends that find enjoyment out of trashing bad films couldn't salvage the experience.

Take the whole "SMB" part out of the movie and it's still a really dumb scifi movie that makes no fucking sense and had the balls to set itself up for a sequel (see: The Last Airbender). But to each their own I guess. If people out there can "unironically" enjoy this piece of shit, then more power to them.

Unless you are one of those people who confuse "guilty pleasure" with "irony".

Then in that case, I hate you.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
The beauty of the movie is in just how awful it is. It's everything that was great and terrible about early 90's action films. I have spent many an evening with friends heckling this movie from the couch. It's like any bad movie in the same ranks as John Carpenter's Street Trash, it's painful to watch it alone but grab a couple friends and it makes for some of the best times.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
You people have terrible taste. On the big list of bad movie this doesn't even get into the top 100. This is at least watchable. It's not good, in fact its bad, but there are bowls of movie hells far lower then it.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Ah, yes. I remember enjoying this movie. Dumb, silly, but fun. I kind of wonder if there will ever be another Mario movie.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Ahh, the memories...

...the terrible terrible memories...

WTF Yoshi!?

Now that I'm old enough to drink my memories away, this movie might be worth another shot (as I pour myself several of my own).

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Ahhhh yes, the movie that further cemented the notion that videogames should not be made into movies. They were two brothers that were plumbers....that's about all the movie had in common with the game other than forced parallels.

Seriously, this is the type of movie that if MST3K were still around in 20 years, they'd be doing an episode on it.