Super Mario Happy Meals Arriving at McDonalds UK

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Super Mario Happy Meals Arriving at McDonalds UK

Super Mario is headed back to the McDonald's toy circuit, much to the delight of children and nostalgic adults.

I haven't eaten a McDonald's Happy Meal in a very long time, but if I had to remember when I especially looked forward to one, it was usually due to the toys. More specifically, the Super Mario Bros. 3 1989 Happy Meal toy line, born from a 1989 partnership with Nintendo from which <a href=http://geekologie.com/2013/11/mcdonalds-japan-offering-super-mario-hap.php>more recent international editions have followed. Most Super Mario fans likely remember those original toys with fond nostalgia, which I expect will drive sales of McDonald's upcoming Happy Meal deal. A promotional ad for the McDonald's Advantage Club in the United Kingdom is teasing a new Happy Meal to help kids "Run, Jump and Power Up" that will likely be unveiled this March.

The ad doesn't offer any information on what toys might come with the Happy Meal, but it's safe to say they will be inspired by <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10754-Super-Mario-3D-World-Review>Super Mario 3D World's characters and feline costumes. At the very least, it could return attention back to Nintendo's franchises, something the company would hope for <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131965-Nintendo-May-Consider-Merger-Acquisition-Deals-to-Improve-Its-Fortunes>following its recent financial difficulties. Personally, I'm just curious to see whether these deals extend beyond the UK and whether they'll be a bigger hit with kids or nostalgic adults.

Source: Gamespot

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I hope they come to Canada and on that note and speaking of Happy Meals, does anyone (In Canada) know if the Adventure Time toys are in McDonalds still or at all?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010

I may need to buy myself a Happy Meal or two when this promotion happens.

I assume this is step one of their "Targeting children" plan.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
Mack Donuldz should put the original Mario Bros games in their stores. Playable for dem quarters.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Andy Shandy said:

Well if it ever comes to the US then it looks like they won't get any kids in San Francisco. Toys in Happy Meals are banned in San Francisco because the toys "cause obesity in children" or some schtick like that. I mean it's not like lack self-control or moderation cause obesity. No, it's the little plastic objects that lure our kids that cause it. :p

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Nice to see Nintendo doing something like this. Seems like forever since they've tried to get any real publicity... Heck, I remember getting toys like this in my Happy Meals.

Neronium said:
Andy Shandy said:

Well if it ever comes to the US then it looks like they won't get any kids in San Francisco. Toys in Happy Meals are banned in San Francisco because the toys "cause obesity in children" or some schtick like that. I mean it's not like lack self-control or moderation cause obesity. No, it's the little plastic objects that lure our kids that cause it. :p
They're banned? I thought they just had to order the "healthy" meal options to get them. Might be thinking of somewhere else though.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Well, I guess that's a start, Nintendo, but you guys really dropped the ball by not having some form of Super Bowl add (110 Million+ watched that game, and I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar that a lot of them own or owned a Wii at some point).

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Mahorfeus said:
Nice to see Nintendo doing something like this. Seems like forever since they've tried to get any real publicity... Heck, I remember getting toys like this in my Happy Meals.

Neronium said:
Andy Shandy said:

They're banned? I thought they just had to order the "healthy" meal options to get them. Might be thinking of somewhere else though.
In the People's Republic of San Fransisco, yes they're banned. That's what little tin pot dictators do. See also: Anything in New York and soon Chicago as well.

Walkchalk

Nov 9, 2009
Didn't they just announce that they were going to start working on promoting "Health and Quality of Life" or something? This seems a little odd right after that.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Walkchalk said:
Didn't they just announce that they were going to start working on promoting "Health and Quality of Life" or something? This seems a little odd right after that.
Hey, I'm sure there's at least one nutrient in a McDonalds Happy Meal. There's fat at least. There may even be a protein or two.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Brian Tams said:
Well, I guess that's a start, Nintendo, but you guys really dropped the ball by not having some form of Super Bowl add (110 Million+ watched that game, and I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar that a lot of them own or owned a Wii at some point).
I honestly don't blame them though because getting a time slot for an ad during the Super Bowl is expensive. According to the Washington Post for 30 seconds of ad space was $4 million. There's better ways to advertise, like that train thing they did in Chicago last year.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Holy crap! I think I still have some of those toys in the attic someplace at my house...

OT: I wish we had those here in the US, I'd buy them in a bloody heartbeat. :D

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Alpha Maeko said:
Mack Donuldz should put the original Mario Bros games in their stores. Playable for dem quarters.
The 1983 Mario Bros arcade isn't particularly good, though. Movement is sluggish, scrolling was limited to a "circular" level, and there were no power-ups.

Now SUPER Mario Bros fits into the arcade formula in this day and age as it is not only fast-paced and adventurous, but it was designed like an arcade game with limited lives and at least a fair helping of difficulty.

red ant

May 18, 2009
We would definitely be interested in those and I know can pick and buy the toys from certain stores.