Super Mario Run Cannot be Played Offline

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Super Mario Run Cannot be Played Offline

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1347/1347975.png
Shigeru Miyamoto has revealed that Super Mario Run requires an internet connection to play.

Yesterday, Nintendo released a video detailing some Mashable [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169010-Super-Mario-Run-Video] in an interview. You will need to have a constant internet connection to play the game.

"But actually, the security element is one of the reasons that we decided to go with iPhone and iOS first. So [always online] is just - based on the current development environment - a requirement that's been built into the game to support security and the fact that the three different modes are connecting to the network and interacting with one another," said Miyamoto.

He added that the team did think at one point that it would be nice to have the World Tour story mode available standalone, to be able to play without an internet connection, but it would be too complicated to program.

Later in the interview, Miyamoto clarifies that by "security" he means "piracy" - Nintendo really, really doesn't want people to pirate Super Mario Run.

"Unlike our dedicated game devices, the game is not releasing in a limited number of countries. We're launching in 150 countries and each of those countries has different network environments and things like that. So it was important for us to be able to have it secure for all users."

Source: Mashable [http://mashable.com/2016/12/08/super-mario-run-shigeru-miyamoto-interview/#ePCshs35nOqV]

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Seriously?

In general my ipad games are there for when i'm NOT AT HOME and want something to do while I don't have an internet connection. At home...I have a computer, with tons of online games (And offline), i have game systems, I have TV etc.

Now yeah, people with iphones won't care probably, but I don't have one. I'm not gonna get one, and I guess, I'm not gonna get this game, or at least more then just try the free parts.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
wulfy42 said:
Btw, is piracy for ipads/iphones even a thing?
Sure, but it's mostly ip theft, if you want to download paid apps for free you have to jail break, and who wants to go to all that effort?

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Isn't this how most mobile games are? It's the way every single one I've ever played, besides homebrews, has worked. It's one of the main strenghts of handheld games over mobile games.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Really? Then I can't play it. My iPhone currently doesn't have wifi. It's completely worthless to me now, because I'm not gonna play a Phone game at home.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Don't worry Nintendo, you couldn't pay me to play your games at this point, so there's nothing for you to worry about.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Mr.Mattress said:
Really? Then I can't play it. My iPhone currently doesn't have wifi. It's completely worthless to me now, because I'm not gonna play a Phone game at home.
It'll also work with mobile data, I assume. A lot of mobile games require a connection these days, to be honest, and they use a miniscule amount of data.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Who cares? I mean people will say they care for a bit but then go back to adamantly insisting Nintendo is gold standard for gaming publishers and refusing to hear any criticism of them just like every other time they screwed up. It's a stupid anti-consumer thing to do but compared to the daft artificial scarcity thing they do with certain products or the abysmal way they handle YouTube it's a drop in the water so people will just continue to go along with it because the majority of folk seem to have adopted a put up or shut up approach to stuff like this across the whole gaming industry.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Just when you thought Nintendo you could like Nintendo again, they pull off the next shit.
Not that I ever cared about Mario in my life.

JCAll said:
Isn't this how most mobile games are? It's the way every single one I've ever played, besides homebrews, has worked. It's one of the main strenghts of handheld games over mobile games.
"most" is a bit relative. If you count the tons of F2P cash-grapping Clickers & MMOBA crap to contribute anything to 'gaming culture', then yes.

On the other hand, I have hundreds of great iOS games that actually are games, as we know and love them, with meaningful content etc. and they all work offline.
The number is considerably smaller and surely less profitable, yes but ultimately more valuable.
But still, at least on iOS online-requirements are not the norm by far.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Apparently, no one learned a goddamn thing when Diablo 3 tried the same thing.

Looking forward to the same results, however.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
Isn't this just another endless runner game? Why all the hype and why does Nintendo believe they can pull these anti-consumer shenanigans in an environment that is already saturated with this kind of games? There are even some good ones. Rayman Run series, for instance.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Oh, but they did. They learned people will gripe, *****, moan, and complain- and play it anyway. Some of us will be wise enough to reject it, but we aren't enough to make a difference.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Recusant said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Oh, but they did. They learned people will gripe, *****, moan, and complain- and play it anyway. Some of us will be wise enough to reject it, but we aren't enough to make a difference.
Ya diablo 3 was a success wasn't it and it is still online only.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I fucking called it.

I've been saying all along that eventually Nintendo would catch up to the modern gaming era, and that when they did they would embrace some of the worst aspects of it.

Lo and behold, ladies and gentlemen, they've done just that. They've turned Mario into yet another infinite runner shitfest, and they've coded it to require an internet connection. Now I'm just waiting on the news that the game will be riddled with microtransactions.

What a joke. At this point being a Nintendo Apologist Fan is akin to being in an abusive relationship and apologizing for the abuser.

He added that the team did think at one point that it would be nice to have the World Tour story mode available standalone, to be able to play without an internet connection, but it would be too complicated to program.
"Too complicated to program."

Ahahahaha. Are they fucking serious?

Holy hell, if that's too complicated for them to program it's no wonder most of their modern games are so awful. I mean, come on. It's too complicated to create content that doesn't require an internet connection? Is 2016 Nintendo completely unaware of the vast majority of their catalog of software?

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
wulfy42 said:
Btw, is piracy for ipads/iphones even a thing?
Sure, but it's mostly ip theft, if you want to download paid apps for free you have to jail break, and who wants to go to all that effort?
It's done through one click on the internet. Everyone I know that owns an iPhone has it jail broken.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm pretty sure this is the exact reason I couldn't play Final Fantasy...Mobius(?)...You know, the one that's on Steam now and looks kinda pretty I guess. I don't even have an iPhone so I can't play this anyway but even on a device that's going to find a way to be online no matter where I am this is a factor that makes this game unappealing to me. Another factor that makes this game unappealing to me is my willingness to replay New Super Mario Bros 2 and NSMB-DS on the 3DS that hasn't left my pocket since 2012...well, 2015 since that's when I upgraded to an XL but you know what I mean.