Super Mario Run Cannot be Played Offline

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Mr.Mattress said:
Really? Then I can't play it. My iPhone currently doesn't have wifi. It's completely worthless to me now, because I'm not gonna play a Phone game at home.
Not that I am defending this anti-consumer action, I won't be buying it but:

How were you planning to download it if you have no internet on your phone?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
WeepingAngels said:
Mr.Mattress said:
Really? Then I can't play it. My iPhone currently doesn't have wifi. It's completely worthless to me now, because I'm not gonna play a Phone game at home.

The hint is in the latter part of that person's post.

I'm assuming by "wifi", he meant a mobile internet connection to be able to play it on the go, rather than wireless internet provided by a static router. He says that he can't play it on the go and doesn't feel like playing it when at home, implying that he has internet at home for his phone to hook up to.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
bluegate said:
WeepingAngels said:
Mr.Mattress said:

I'm assuming by "wifi", he meant a mobile internet connection to be able to play it on the go, rather than wireless internet provided by a static router. He says that he can't play it on the go and doesn't feel like playing it when at home, implying that he has internet at home for his phone to hook up to.
Then he has wifi and no mobile data plan, maybe he should learn what words mean.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
bluegate said:
WeepingAngels said:
Mr.Mattress said:

Yeah, I meant that.

WeepingAngels said:
Then he has wifi and no mobile data plan, maybe he should learn what words mean.
I misspoke, my bad.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
"I want Nintendo to abandon their core strategy and go mobile"

"no, not like that"

also, why do you hold nintendo to higher standards than all of the other companies that you've presumably given money to over the years that have already done things like this while at the same time thinking that nintendo is already irredeemable shit for not "keeping up with the times" (as in all of this trash that currently surrounds us)? like, how does that work? who are you even comparing them to as the gold standard right now?

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
weirdee said:
"I want Nintendo to abandon their core strategy and go mobile"

"no, not like that"
Err, has anyone ever said that? I mean, people have complained about Nintendo seemingly relying on the same properties and lack of third party support sure,but I don't think anyone has said that they should abandon their old IP and move into mobile gaming of all places. Hell, I'm sure people here have said how stupid it is when companies like Konami or Square Enix propose just making mobile games, and occasionally people have a go at companies like EA for creating money sucking apps.
I'm honestly not seeing the supposed contradiction.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
What security? No really. And technically, isn't an offline device an order of magnitude more secure than a networked device.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I hate mobile games that require always online Internet connection. It pretty much makes it impossible for me to play them while riding the subway.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Fulbert said:
Isn't this just another endless runner game? Why all the hype and why does Nintendo believe they can pull these anti-consumer shenanigans in an environment that is already saturated with this kind of games? There are even some good ones. Rayman Run series, for instance.
Because Nintendo tends to ignore everything outside their sphere of influence and do its own thing. And often said "own thing" is anti-consumer self-sabotage dreamed up by people who have a vague notion of what an "internet" is, but don't really understand it.

Madmatty

Apr 5, 2016
Single player=offline I shouldn't have to spell this out Nintendo single player=offline single player=offline because having it online defeats the purpose of single player. Lets boycott this piece of crap