Super Marion RPG 2....when?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
EditYes, I realize the title says Marion...twas a typo. But honestly, who wouldn't mind seeing a gender-swapped Mario? :^) End Edit

Well? When are Squeenix and Nintendo gonna give us another Super Mario RPG? Now that's a game that could tempt me to buy a Switch.

For that matter...why hasn't Geno been added to a Smash Bros yet? I DEMAND JUSTICE!!!!!

For added discussion value...I dunno...what does Squeenix have against Nintendo? The NES saw the birth of their most famous of franchises: Final Fantasy. The SNES gave birth to such glorious games as Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger (and, of course, the aforementioned Super Mario RPG). Is there any particular reason these two titans of the gaming industry have decided to make complete cucks of one another? o.o

What Squeenix - Nintendo crossovers/classic franchises would make you buy a Switch were they to be announced?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
To hear the Internet tell the tale, Nintendo alienated Square pretty hard by the end of the Super NES era, which in addition to the hardware differences between the N64 and the Sony PlayStation led to Square abandoning Nintendo for a time.

They're working together a bit these days, with Square-Enix having a trailer for Project: Octopath Traveler being released at the Switch presentation:

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
altnameJag said:
To hear the Internet tell the tale, Nintendo alienated Square pretty hard by the end of the Super NES era, which in addition to the hardware differences between the N64 and the Sony PlayStation led to Square abandoning Nintendo for a time.

They're working together a bit these days, with Square-Enix having a trailer for Project: Octopath Traveler being released at the Switch presentation:
Yeah, from what I've heard, FF7 was actually meant to be a Nintendo game...however Nintendo still wanted to stick with cartridges as opposed to moving onto CD's. FF7 would have required 10+ carts on the N64 in order to play out as it did on the PS...so it was rather impractical.

Still...I wanna see a return to some of the classic SquareSoft titles. Let bygones be bygones already, damnit!

:p

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
That said, if you want a Mario RPG, Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door are great and readily available. Paper Mario's available on the Wii and WiiU virtual console, and will probably be on the Switch's once they go live with that. TTYD was a GameCube game, but rumor has it the Switch VC is going to include some of them down the line, and if they don't, well, Wii's are cheap these days.

Past that, the Mario and Luigi series has RPG elements too, though I don't have personal experience there.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
RJ 17 said:
Still...I wanna see a return to some of the classic SquareSoft titles. Let bygones be bygones already, damnit!

:p
Hey, I do too, but Square is dead set on making sure their more traditional RPG's aren't named Final Fantasy.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Paper Mario 64 was actually called Super Mario RPG 2 before they changed the name.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, since making another like Super Mario RPG, and I mean in the STYLE of the game and not the paper series, then the answer is probably never. That would require Nintendo to be that clever again, and really...it isn't going to be.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
If they ever do, they should keep in Rose Town and it's sweet earworm inducing tunes.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
They already made it. It's called Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga.

They could only give Geno a cameo because Square technically owns the SMRPG-exclusive characters such as Mallow and Booster, but the chance of them getting back together to make another Mario RPG is beyond slim. Besides, Square is no longer the titan of gaming it was- imagine a Mario RPG done by the people behind Final Fantasy XIII. That is the kind of game you'd get now if they got back together.

I love the M & L series myself and don't feel like Square would add much to it. The combat systems developed for SMRPG were further strengthened and refined in that series as well as Paper Mario.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Even if Nintendo and Square teamed up again for another one I don't see them capturing the same magic the original had. Nintendo can still pull off that kind of endearing charm, but I don't think Square can.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
RJ 17 said:
For that matter...why hasn't Geno been added to a Smash Bros yet? I DEMAND JUSTICE!!!!!
The fact that Square and Nintendo can work enough together to get Cloud in to SSB but yet Geno remains neglected is the greatest travesty.

And it's not like Nintendo and Squeenix never work together past the SNESteryears. There was Bravely Default, Two KH games and a slew of Dragon Quest DS games. Ooh, and Theatrhythm.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
altnameJag said:

I'm digging the high-quality sprites, but the trailer had me a bit worried when the narrator painted it as a "make your own adventure game". It makes it sound kind of unfocused. Still, the reviews and lets plays will determine whether or not I get it in the end.