Super Smash Bros. Director Talks 3DS, Wii U Version Differences

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Super Smash Bros. Director Talks 3DS, Wii U Version Differences

Masahiro Sakurai also talks at length about the Villager, Mega Man, and the Wii Fit Trainer's movesets.

In a special Nintendo Developer Direct video, Super Smash Bros. For Wii U and 3DS (couldn't they have just given it a proper subtitle?) director Masahiro Sakurai talks about the differences between the 3DS and Wii U versions of the game, as well as discussing the three newly revealed characters at length. A lot of new gameplay footage is shown, as is a majority of the Villager, Mega Man, and the Wii Fit Trainer's special moves.

Sakurai starts off with the 3DS version, explaining that because the screen shows all the characters from a distance, they have been given a black outline to make them much more distinct. Sakurai says that every player on the 3DS version will be playing on a separate console, so he is thinking of ways to use this to his advantage.

He, unfortunately, neglects to share his thoughts with us on that, but does assure us that the 3DS version will have the same amount of characters as the Wii U version. The main difference will be in the stages: the 3DS version will feature more stages from Nintendo's handheld games, while the Wii U will have more home console-themed stages.

Speaking of the Wii U version, Sakurai basically tells us that the game looks a lot prettier because it's in HD, uses a more primary color-based color scheme, and adds visual effects on attacks, to make them look like they are "cutting through the air." He also goes through some of the makeovers series veterans like Link, Samus and Pit will see.

Sakurai then goes on to detail how the Villager, Mega Man and the Wii Fit Trainer will play. The Villager will use items from his collection (such as the shovel, flower pot and bowling ball) as his standard attacks, and features a unique special move where he can "collect" a projectile attack and throw it back at his opponent. Mega Man will mostly be focused around his mega buster's variable weapon system, which will allow him to change his buster arm into various different attacks. The completely out of left field Wii Fit Trainer will attack with Yoga poses and stretches. Yeah.

Sakurai ends his Developer Direct by announcing a new Smash Bros. community for the Wii U's Miiverse, promising that his personal Mii will be making appearances and posting Smash Bros. screenshots five days a week.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I'm sort of hoping that it will also be possible to import your Mii as a playable character.

Maybe you could copy over any other character's move set to it, and the game would adjust the Mii's body proportions to fit that character for balance.

Joffas16

Jun 6, 2013
All of these characters look sweet, even the wii fit trainer gave me a good laugh and will probably be a lot of fun. The only thing that has got me down is that we still haven't gotten any Chrono Trigger characters. That would be really sweet. But you can't have everything I suppose, and I've been wanting a portable Super Smash Brothers for so long I really can't complain. Go Nintendo!

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Shame they didn't give us the Wii Fit balance board as a character. All of his attacks could be shattering comments on players physiques.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/stolen-pixels/5877-Stolen-Pixels-76-Cheering-You-Up

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
So i take it that there is no cross-play between the two versions? Figured they would go that route after playstation all-stars pulled it off.

Kaiser6012

Mar 10, 2010
Xiado said:
Megaman looks broken as fuck. Great range on normal attacks, 8-directional projectile for range control, solid and diverse melee, decent looking speed and weight. Definitely top tier despite how silly he looks.
Only time will tell. I kinda see him having the same problem as Samus - great at building damage, poor execution of the kill. Sure, he's got the Hard Knuckle, but Samus has a meteor smash as well and she's pretty low-tier.

OT: Okay, THIS is interesting. The Wii-U now officially has my interest, as the internet meme goes. Turns out E3 was slightly more relevant to me than initially planned, what with this and the PS4s showing. I'll be intrigued to see what/who they'll be including in this one, given they've promised a tighter roster this time around.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Next Smash Bros. Confirmed to run at 1080p! [http://mynintendonews.com/2013/06/12/super-smash-bros-wii-u-runs-at-1080p/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter%A0Nintendo] So that's going to look amazing!

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Loving the emphasis on the Shoryukens.

The villager seems really op, and Megaman seems a bit self destructive.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I know Sakurai said the game's will have different stages to reflect the platform they're on, but I'm hoping the roster for each game is fairly different too. I am pretty excited to finally have a portable Smash Bros., and it I like the idea of outlining the characters to help differentiate between fighters when it gets really hectic. I was worried they were going to change Link's moveset to reflect his Skyward Sword appearance and equipment, but it looks like he still plays the same, so I'm pretty happy.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Mr.Mattress said:
Next Smash Bros. Confirmed to run at 1080p! [http://mynintendonews.com/2013/06/12/super-smash-bros-wii-u-runs-at-1080p/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter%A0Nintendo] So that's going to look amazing!
Now I can look at Link's beautiful fluffy hair in HD.
One day, one day Nintendo will make my dirty dreams reality. Until then, I have to rely on r34.

Half-jokes aside, I'm not really a graphics whore when console games are in question. 1080p is great, but as long as the game is in 60fps. Since it's a fighting game (and party for some people), 60fps 720p is better than 30fps 1080p. Ofc, 60fps and 1080p would be awesome, but if it's not possible, subHD at 60fps is my choice.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
Hero of Lime said:
I know Sakurai said the game's will have different stages to reflect the platform they're on, but I'm hoping the roster for each game is fairly different too.
I'm on the opposite side of this.

I'm not up for paying the money to get both versions of a largely similar game when I'd have to buy both a Wii U and 3DS to get them, and it would disappoint me greatly if I missed out on a large number of characters I'd love to play because of it.

Separate stages I can live with, but a highly diverse character list? That's going to be far more of a problem.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I'm hoping that there'll be a feature to link up the 3DS and Wii U so you can at least access the unique stages from either version with the other ones.

JediMB said:
I'm sort of hoping that it will also be possible to import your Mii as a playable character.

Maybe you could copy over any other character's move set to it, and the game would adjust the Mii's body proportions to fit that character for balance.
I think at most you'd have a middle of the road average Mii body with only the head getting moved over, and a moveset based on Wii Sports.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Space Jawa said:
Hero of Lime said:
I know Sakurai said the game's will have different stages to reflect the platform they're on, but I'm hoping the roster for each game is fairly different too.

I'm not up for paying the money to get both versions of a largely similar game when I'd have to buy both a Wii U and 3DS to get them, and it would disappoint me greatly if I missed out on a large number of characters I'd love to play because of it.

Separate stages I can live with, but a highly diverse character list? That's going to be far more of a problem.
I believe the video in the OP has Sakurai mention both versions will have the same character roster. I agree, that's probably for the best.

verdant monkai said:
Loving the emphasis on the Shoryukens.

The villager seems really op, and Megaman seems a bit self destructive.
The price of having an 8-directional projectile I suppose.

Other than that, crash bomber doesn't seem difficult to avoid having turned against you; just launch from a distance.

Hero of Lime said:
In all honesty, despite the usual complaints of TP having too washed out of a color palette (which I agree with to an extent), I loved its semi-realistic but still clearly anime-ish design style, Link's look particularly. It's one of my favorites.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Space Jawa said:
Hero of Lime said:

I can understand that position considering you need two platforms, I think it would be cool if the handheld version featured a few handheld centric characters that could be transferred to the Wii U version. I guess it's easy for me to say since I have both already, but I guess it would be kinda lousy to buy two systems and two games to get the full experience.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Innegativeion said:
Space Jawa said:
Hero of Lime said:

I believe the video in the OP has Sakurai mention both versions will have the same character roster. I agree, that's probably for the best.
But they will have different stage selection. I wonder how else they'll differ though

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Ne1butme said:
So i take it that there is no cross-play between the two versions? Figured they would go that route after playstation all-stars pulled it off.
Actually, as far back as the game's initial announcement [http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/hjzizg/e3-2011--smash-bros-announcement] at E3 2011, it's been confirmed that the two versions will interact. That was literally - like - the third sentence. "We're making Smash 4. It'll be on both Wii U and 3DS. They'll be compatible with each other."

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
VinLAURiA said:
Ne1butme said:
Actually, as far back as the game's initial announcement [http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/hjzizg/e3-2011--smash-bros-announcement] at E3 2011, it's been confirmed that the two versions will interact. That was literally - like - the third sentence. "We're making Smash 4. It'll be on both Wii U and 3DS. They'll be compatible with each other."
The announcement of different stages for 3DS and WiiU would indicate that interactivity would be limited.

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
what i'm wondering is if every character in the previous games will be coming back. i just want snake back so i can snap the wii fit trainers neck

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
Ne1butme said:
VinLAURiA said:
Ne1butme said:
The announcement of different stages for 3DS and WiiU would indicate that interactivity would be limited.
Or it could be an indication that allowing the systems to interact will let you to play 3DS stages on the Wii U or Wii U stages on the 3DS. I have a hunch that may be Nintendo's plan, but of course I don't work there.

I'm looking forward to seeing this. Megaman's main weakness seems to be that his melee abilities are much more limited then most other characters, meaning that he needs to keep his distance a little bit and only come in for the attack when given the chance.