Super Smash Bros. Hands On - Great on Wii U, Awkward on 3DS

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Super Smash Bros. Hands On - Great on Wii U, Awkward on 3DS

Nintendo is pulling out all the stops for Super Smash Bros. Wii U, and Smash feels better than ever.

Read Full Article

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
Wait, is there no Directional pad input for movement on 3DS version?

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Hm, I was kind of hyped about getting both versions of the game, but I'm not as sure about the 3DS version anymore. Is it a matter of just being inferior by comparison, being a good game on its own merits?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Okay, that's like the second time I've read "preaching to the choir" when people talk about this game. Do people use the same phrase when another CoD comes out?

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I always use the wii remote when I play brawl so I don?t think I?m going to have a issue playing on the 3ds, the thing that worries me the most about the 3ds version is that smash run doesn?t seem nearly as entertaining as melee?s or brawl?s adventure mode.

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
Oh no, the travesty! The controls are different than what you are use to! Clearly this makes the game a total failure a- Waiiiit, what ever happened to saying "Oh, the controls are different, better learn them!"? So the controls on the 3ds version are a bit weird, I bet we can all get over it and easily get use to them over time if they're awkward, Ive done it with a lot of games like using a wiimote with monster hunter tri or a controller for an FPS! Just because you need time to get use to the controls doesn't make it inferior, just learn the controls again, that's what i' do! XD ain't gunna hurt my experience. XD

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
CharrHearted said:
Oh no, the travesty! The controls are different than what you are use to! Clearly this makes the game a total failure a- Waiiiit, what ever happened to saying "Oh, the controls are different, better learn them!"? So the controls on the 3ds version are a bit weird, I bet we can all get over it and easily get use to them over time if they're awkward, Ive done it with a lot of games like using a wiimote with monster hunter tri or a controller for an FPS! Just because you need time to get use to the controls doesn't make it inferior, just learn the controls again, that's what i' do! XD ain't gunna hurt my experience. XD
Except when they are busted. But it seems that the author is more of a fanatic for smash bros. than most people, so controller choice can be quite important to stay competitive.

For me, I'd buy the 3DS because I cannot get a Wii U until later. With all these goodies coming out, I'm certain I wanna own one now.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
as someone with gigantic hands - palms roughly the size of an iPhone - the 3ds version sounds like a special kind of hell. I'm glad you mentioned it many others are not. Too bad I don't have a WiiU.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Ipsen said:
Wait, is there no Directional pad input for movement on 3DS version?
It's possible the release version might allow for control customization, but right now the d-pad is dedicated to taunts, as it always has been. I can get used to that, but I'd really like to remap things on the button side. I kept hitting the Y button thinking it was the B button, and it's just weird that the X button functions as a jump button.

Alien1375

May 13, 2009
Question: Is the Circle Pad Pro supported in the 3DS version of the game? I think most problems would be gone using dat add on....

piclemaniscool

Dec 19, 2008
roseofbattle said:
Making quick movements with the circle pad didn't feel as responsive, especially jumping with the circle pad.
There's 2 buttons dedicated to jumping on a handheld with limited input and you're complaining it doesn't work because you can't jump with an analogue stick?

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
I dunno, I wouldn't say it was all to great on console. I played a few rounds myself and found it to be rather slow and floaty, but not nearly as much as Brawl was. Hitstun is kind of there, but you can still recover very easily from being launched. There's not much combo potential, so aggressive play is not really supported. If anything, defensive play is just as rewarding as it was in Brawl, as it seems like shields and rolls got a buff.

While the game was still fun to play, but with how their leaning more towards Brawl's design philosophy (as opposed to Melee's or 64's), I don't see it being popular competitively. Which is a shame, considering how eager they were to promote it as a competitive game with their Invitational.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
piclemaniscool said:
There's 2 buttons dedicated to jumping on a handheld with limited input and you're complaining it doesn't work because you can't jump with an analogue stick?
There are a lot of people who use the analog stick to jump in Smash Bros. I know I've done that for over a decade, and never use the buttons at all.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Great to hear Super Smash Bros is getting positive feedback. Not too sure about the 3DS version but that might be due to controller preference. I am curious if Nintendo will package SSB for WiiU with the console, Gamecube controllers and ports ala SSB Melee for Gamecube. I know the game and controllers are being packaged together for roughly 100 bucks.