Superbowl 52

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Thaluikhain said:
Prince did specifically say he was totally against the sort of thing JT did, though. Should have found another way to pay tribute to him.
I'll have to look that up. I think

DrownedAmmet said:
Prince was against "holograms"
... is more likely the thing. Any time now, we're going to get to see a cowboy movie staring a young John Wayne and Clint Eastwood. This hologram thing may really eat into opportunities for real people.

Be fun to talk about the worst 1/2 time shows in memory were. I was underwhelmed by the Who and Black Eyed Peas. But this year I really enjoyed. Now for a year of withdrawal pains.

EDIT: Yikes. I think me and DA are wrong and Thaluikhain is right! He hated the very concept thinking it demonic. Eccentric guy.

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/vbpmgx/sheila-e-justin-timberlake-halftime-show-prince-hologram-interview

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Scarytown said:
Foles had his David and Goliath moment, only now to be traded off into obscurity (probably the Browns)
Say what? I?m no expert in the subtle nuance that is the NFL trade game, but I personally believe the Eagles would be foolish to entertain trading Nick Foles, especially after his performance throughout the postseason, most particularly his performance in their first win in a Super Bowl. Despite coming in as little more than an vie quarterback after Wonderboy Wentz went down, Foles showed a level of play befitting some of the best talent in the game. Did you see some of the windows he was squeezing that ball into?!? No interceptions. No sacks. He was damn near perfect, and who knows what Wentz will be when he comes back; yes, he helped get them as far as he did, but it was Foles who did the heavy lifting when it mattered most; the postseason is when you face the best AT their best, and in the Super Bowl, he and the defensive line had Brady, arguably the greatest of all time, on his heels the entire time. And don?t get me wrong; I?m no Brady/Patriots fan by any stretch of the imagination; I enjoyed watching him scarf down that humble pie with all the enthusiasm of someone resorting to cannibalism after months on a deserted island, but I won?t deny his talent. Yes, should one like, one can put myriad asterisk by any numbers he?s put up in his 18 year career, but you can?t make it to the big game 8 times on cheating alone; let?s be realistic. Just saying, Foles looked more like ?Brady? than Brady did; why would the Eagles get rid of him? To fall back on a starter coming back from injury and likely an untested, unproven backup in Foles? replacement?

Gorfias said:
EDIT: Yikes. I think me and DA are wrong and Thaluikhain is right! He hated the very concept thinking it demonic. Eccentric guy.

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/vbpmgx/sheila-e-justin-timberlake-halftime-show-prince-hologram-interview
The article seems to stress Prince?s feelings about holograms; I don?t think he?d mind what JT did. I feel it was tasteful and in no way attempted to ?resurrect? Prince in any way beyond fondly remembering his talent.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Xprimentyl said:
The article seems to stress Prince?s feelings about holograms; I don?t think he?d mind what JT did. I feel it was tasteful and in no way attempted to ?resurrect? Prince in any way beyond fondly remembering his talent.
I hope you are right. I loved what JT did. I agree that there is a huge difference between projecting his image vs. using a hologram to make him seem to be there.

But he was an odd guy. I think it was Eddy Murphy noted he was the type of guy that would call you hysterical at 3 AM saying, "I need a llama!"

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Xprimentyl said:
Scarytown said:
Foles had his David and Goliath moment, only now to be traded off into obscurity (probably the Browns)
Say what? I?m no expert in the subtle nuance that is the NFL trade game, but I personally believe the Eagles would be foolish to entertain trading Nick Foles, especially after his performance throughout the postseason, most particularly his performance in their first win in a Super Bowl. Despite coming in as little more than an vie quarterback after Wonderboy Wentz went down, Foles showed a level of play befitting some of the best talent in the game. Did you see some of the windows he was squeezing that ball into?!? No interceptions. No sacks. He was damn near perfect, and who knows what Wentz will be when he comes back; yes, he helped get them as far as he did, but it was Foles who did the heavy lifting when it mattered most; the postseason is when you face the best AT their best, and in the Super Bowl, he and the defensive line had Brady, arguably the greatest of all time, on his heels the entire time. And don?t get me wrong; I?m no Brady/Patriots fan by any stretch of the imagination; I enjoyed watching him scarf down that humble pie with all the enthusiasm of someone resorting to cannibalism after months on a deserted island, but I won?t deny his talent. Yes, should one like, one can put myriad asterisk by any numbers he?s put up in his 18 year career, but you can?t make it to the big game 8 times on cheating alone; let?s be realistic. Just saying, Foles looked more like ?Brady? than Brady did; why would the Eagles get rid of him? To fall back on a starter coming back from injury and likely an untested, unproven backup in Foles? replacement?
Basically risk versus reward right now

Foles has one year left on his contract and unless Wentz is deemed unable to play this entire year, it will be given right back to Wentz (right or not, The Eagles spent way too much acquiring Wentz to not give him multiple years and that's assuming Wentz comes back losing a step in his game). Short of Wentz's career somehow being over from this (not impossible but highly unlikely), Foles will not stay with The Eagles after this year.

Foles just won a SuperBowl and not only won it but looked like the QB he beat to do it (and looked that way in multiple games). His stock is never going to be higher than it is at this moment. That stock is only going to start dropping as the season goes on and trading Foles would be a great way to get the picks back that The Eagles traded away to get Wentz and possibly even more if they really play their cards right.

Now obviously the big risk is "Will Wentz be ready at the start of the season?", which is very unlikely considering a healing of an ACL should take 9-12 months with his injury in December ("should" being the key word considering the treatments and whatnot these guys get). Realistically though, you could stick an OK QB in The Eagles team and have their defense win you some games and help you squeak into the playoffs. Hell, it might be worth "tanking" a season to get the haul that may very well come with trading a guy let Foles with where he is at right now...

Or if they really want to play it safe, keep Foles and trade him before the deadline. You won't get nearly the same haul (and you risk Foles coming back down to Earth and looking like Foles did on The Rams...) but if Jimmy G got The Patriots a 2nd Round pick mid-season, Foles could easily catch that same amount if he continues to look like he did in these last two playoff games...

Scarytown_v1legacy

Mar 24, 2017
Xprimentyl said:
Scarytown said:
I think Tippy covered most of it, but it pretty much comes down to investment. Eagles are going to most likely chalk Foles playoff performance to be a lightning in a bottle situation. They paid to much for Wentz to let him go and Foles will now pull make-it-rain level money out of no where. They'll take there chances with Wentz and trade Foles for a premium draft spot, or a seasoned high end player to fill a hole, or maybe both.