Superjump Into Action With Student FPS Grim

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Superjump Into Action With Student FPS Grim

In the words of Van Halen, go ahead and jump.

If you're making another one of those dime-a-dozen multiplayer FPSes these days, you better have a nifty gimmick to set your game apart from the rest if you want to make any money at all. As a completely free game made by a handful of students for a graduation product, Grim doesn't have to have one of them, but it does anyway.

Grim takes the age-old FPS idea of rocket-jumping, and simply removes the rocket from it. In the game, players can use the Leap skill to rocket around the environment with enormous bounds, to "quickly move around the level and escape enemy fire, or jump right into the action." I've always been a sucker for games that feature cool methods of transportation for exceptionally mobile battles, and this looks like it fits the bill. Besides, I'm terrible at actual rocket jumping.

Grim was made by MorePolygons, a team of six students - a concept artist, a programmer, a level designer, and three 3D modelers - for their June 2012 graduation project. It looks pretty fun, so we can all only assume they got an "A."

You can download the beta at the MorePolygons site [http://grim.morepolygons.com/?&content=14052012&menu=1].

Source: RPS [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/05/student-made-fps-grim-looks-pacey-explosive/]

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
I'm really liking the little switch ups that people are making to movement, obviously it is an old concept, changing movement and all. But with Tribes Ascend bringing back the skiing and rocket pack, as well as the addition of new and quick movement methods in other games I'm pretty happy about this.

Looks neat, and since it's a free beta, sure I'll support these guys, if it sucks then I won't play it :p

Oh, and those fb comments "Looks like this other game"

yeah, fps with movement and made by students, will be totally unique and original, smart.