Superman and now Captain America. Why so much dislike for being "overpowered"?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Huh? Cap's not OP. He can't even fly. Hell, if anyone ever catches or stops his shield, he can't hit things long distance normally.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
hulk is op.

thor is op, well just about every god in comics is op in some ways.

capt america op however silly.

hulk escapes it better since he gets stronger the more he gets angry. How he can breathe in space however..

superman just was however strong he needed to be, why he has been nerfed at lest twice i believe in the dcu. trying to make him more relatable.

but compare any of them to capt they would wipe the floor with him, either hulk or supes could hit the shield fast and hard enough to shatter it. not sure thors all out speed but being a god i would think he can hit pretty fast also.

Reiper

Mar 26, 2009
DataSnake said:
That's what I always wondered. I mean, suppose Cap blocks a punch from the Hulk with his shield. I'll grant that the shield itself shouldn't be damaged because it's made of unbreakable super metal, but the impact of Big Green's punch ought to send it flying backward with enough force to go right through the squishy human holding it.
Except that iss not how it works, if you read the thread this has already been covered. Force does not get transferred through vibranium like that. This is why cap can use it to block blows that would otherwise kill him.

cerebus23 said:
but compare any of them to capt they would wipe the floor with him, either hulk or supes could hit the shield fast and hard enough to shatter it. not sure thors all out speed but being a god i would think he can hit pretty fast also.
No they couldn't shatter it, it is pretty much indestructible. Well MAYBE superman could depending on which incarnation of him we are talking here, it really comes down to the writer. Even an odinforce powered thor could only dent it.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
But if you go by the lore, if you hit it hard enough and fast enough you can toughen it till it shatters like glass, therefore it is a game over fight for capt the second he pisses hulk off badly enough, or supes and they really unload on him that shield is going to fail eventually, it wont be easy but there is no way for him to do anything to any of those characters, he is no near strong enough to go toe to to with anything but a weak hulk, a angry hulk would shatter every bone in his body shield or no. then turn him into a gooy paste if he even tried to regenerate.

Supes maybe not so brutal but he can out speed capt without even trying not even going into the whole strength difference.

So really how much would that shield really mean in either case?

captain america is a fairly weak character period,i think it is near laughable to even try to put him on any OP list and he sure as hell cannot even hang with any of the big boys speed or power wise, he is a tactician more like batman.

Reiper

Mar 26, 2009
Oh yeah, I am not saying captain america could come close to beating either of them, just that I don't think they could break the shield.

That is why I like cap though, he isnt stupid overpowered like SOME heroes we know...