Superman is bisexual now!!!

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Welcome to most comics. Most comics are written like that, for good or ill, great comics aren't but most comics aren't great comics. They can still be written like that and be good, but they can also be bad. The only reason people ***** and moan is because of the dreaded sjw inserting wumminz or the gayz into white mans world. Seriously, if it wasn't for gay or female there wouldn't be this discussion, because it would have been some form of the default and gone unnoticed by the whining brigade.
Yeah that is probably fair. And i wonder how much the people making this shit know that and use it simply to get notice on a book that otherwise nobody would give a shit about.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Based on some panels I've seen...kinda.

Or, rather more specifically, she fight against some generic woman-hating villain, so therefore gives as good as he does, or something. Misandry and misogeny are fine in fiction if done well, but the dialogue had the subtlety of a brick.

And while on the subject of female Thor, I'm not sure why there is a female Thor. I mean, it's not as if Norse mythology is lacking in female figures - valkyries, Sif, Freya, etc.
Valkyries have been re-purposed in fiction to serve as Norse warriors - Thor Ragnarok did that - but in the mythology they pick those worthy of coming to Odin's Hall in Valhalla.....and subsequently sabotage them so they die gloriously. Once at the hall, the valkyries serve the mead and little else.

The Shield Maidens were the actual lady badasses of the Norse, unfortunately it doesn't sound as cool as Valkyrie.

As for the Lady Thor thing, I didn't mind it - though the writing was a bit ham handed - but if it had been my project, I'd have called it 'Power of Thor' and she'd have been a literal avatar of Thor's power created by Mjolnir while the Odinson is off having his strop or whatever personal crises was preventing him from picking up the hammer that week.

Mind you I did think it was funny when Thor asks if she's his mother - which wouldn't have been a bad resolution either - and Lady Thor lays a nice big erotic kiss on his lips and cheekily asks him if he still thinks that and the poor bastard can just about stutter out with a really weird look on his face 'I sincerely hope not'.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yeah that is probably fair. And i wonder how much the people making this shit know that and use it simply to get notice on a book that otherwise nobody would give a shit about.
Probably more then you would think. It wasn't too long ago when they were yelling about new Star Trek caving into the "SJW" menace. If you know anything about Star Trek then you know how full of shit that accusation is since its always been "SJW." These are people who are trying to wage a culture war, that means finding any little thing and yelling about it for social credit.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Probably more then you would think. It wasn't too long ago when they were yelling about new Star Trek caving into the "SJW" menace. If you know anything about Star Trek then you know how full of shit that accusation is since its always been "SJW." These are people who are trying to wage a culture war, that means finding any little thing and yelling about it for social credit.
The weird thing about the howling of Discovery being "SJW" or "political" is that, I'd argue, it's actually sympathetic to right-wing politics.

Like, the catalyst for the war is the klingons being wary of the Federation encroaching on their territory - they want to be left alone and maintain their own culture rather than be assimilated into this multi-species Federation. And by the end of season 1, well, the show doesn't condemn the klingons' perspective.

Now, I don't think Discovery is GOOD by any means (seen the first two seasons, it's probably my least favourite Star Trek series), but "SJW politics?" Really?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I mean, It's got a Black woman as the main character, a gay couple, and a possibly autistic engineer. It's obviously chock full of progressive politics to the detriment of story

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I mean, It's got a Black woman as the main character, a gay couple, and a possibly autistic engineer. It's obviously chock full of progressive politics to the detriment of story
Well duh, it's obviously forced diversity, didn't ya know? :p

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I'd probably respect or sympathize with them more if the usual suspects were even remotely consistent.

Claims you often here is that ''oh we're not really against gay characters'' and that they just don't want old heroes changed, and that they want characters who aren't defined by being gay but just happen to be gay. Okay. Jon fits both of those conditions but they still have a big problem about it.

They also throw a fuss if old Heroes get replaced by newer more diverse ones, but in comics one hero passing their their torch and their costumes to an apprentice is a very, very long standing tradition that aside from maybe Sam as Captain doesn't seem to have attracted much controversy.

So all in all....I don't buy the outrage.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'd probably respect or sympathize with them more if the usual suspects were even remotely consistent.

Claims you often here is that ''oh we're not really against gay characters'' and that they just don't want old heroes changed, and that they want characters who aren't defined by being gay but just happen to be gay. Okay. Jon fits both of those conditions but they still have a big problem about it.

They also throw a fuss if old Heroes get replaced by newer more diverse ones, but in comics one hero passing their their torch and their costumes to an apprentice is a very, very long standing tradition that aside from maybe Sam as Captain doesn't seem to have attracted much controversy.

So all in all....I don't buy the outrage.
Exactly why I don't trust a fuckers nor take them too seriously. They're always changing extending the goal post. They may claim that's not because of character is gay, lesbian, trans, nor a different race or gender, yet they always complain loudest. A majority of those jackasses are either sexist, racist, or have some form prejudice, but they don't want to admit it, because they want to see themselves as the "good guys", "victims", or a "misunderstood" fan. Not too different from how some of the users on this site act.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The weird thing about the howling of Discovery being "SJW" or "political" is that, I'd argue, it's actually sympathetic to right-wing politics.

Like, the catalyst for the war is the klingons being wary of the Federation encroaching on their territory - they want to be left alone and maintain their own culture rather than be assimilated into this multi-species Federation. And by the end of season 1, well, the show doesn't condemn the klingons' perspective.

Now, I don't think Discovery is GOOD by any means (seen the first two seasons, it's probably my least favourite Star Trek series), but "SJW politics?" Really?
Its culture warrior bullshit, its always bullshit. They just find something that has minority/lgbtq/female representation, claim to be fans then yell about it and say its turned something sjw and see if it sticks and it if does then ride it to clicks and ad revenue and selling male enhancement pills.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reactions: gorfias

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Superman (Jon Kent) is like a twitter warrior over a superhero. He protests climate change isnt of doing something about when he is probably the only person on Earth who legit has the power to do something about it immediately.

This is what i mean by preachy. They could write a story about Superman fighting a company, fighting an evil animal hunting bad guy, doing something that could easily have an environmental message.

Instead lets just protest and do nothing when he literally could shut down every corporation instantly.

Attachments

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
This is what i mean by preachy. They could write a story about Superman fighting a company, fighting an evil animal hunting bad guy, doing something that could easily have an environmental message.
Didn't Captain Planet already do that?

Global warming isn't something you can punch, I mean super man could move the earths rotation slightly and that would probably resolve it, but that is one of those feel good things that is just minimizes it. Which we have already done entirely too much of irl.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Superman (Jon Kent) is like a twitter warrior over a superhero. He protests climate change isnt of doing something about when he is probably the only person on Earth who legit has the power to do something about it immediately.

Instead lets just protest and do nothing when he literally could shut down every corporation instantly.
Old Superman did that constantly. Stories about him singlehandedly stopping some worldwide problem on his own tended to cast him in a negative light because even with incredible power he's still just one dude.

What do you expect him to do, manually dig out every offshore oil rig and continental pipeline in a way that doesn't cause massive environmental damage and collateral human damage, while singlehandedly changing the entire planet's economical and logistical system to accommodate that, all while every nation and corporation on earth lets him?

Don't get me wrong, Emperor Superman stories are fun, but they're Alternate Universe stories for a reason. Let's not pretend that Superman singlehandedly dismantling proxies of real corporations wouldn't be counted as "preachy"

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Old Superman did that constantly. Stories about him singlehandedly stopping some worldwide problem on his own tended to cast him in a negative light because even with incredible power he's still just one dude.

What do you expect him to do, manually dig out every offshore oil rig and continental pipeline in a way that doesn't cause massive environmental damage and collateral human damage, while singlehandedly changing the entire planet's economical and logistical system to accommodate that, all while every nation and corporation on earth lets him?

Don't get me wrong, Emperor Superman stories are fun, but they're Alternate Universe stories for a reason
Im just saying it would be a more interesting read, to have him trying actively to stop some singular entity than reading a book of him protesting. He lives in a fictional world and there is no reason he cant solve problems throughout.

Call me a traditionalist but i like watching heroes fight villains, not watching them protest and make out with people.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Im just saying it would be a more interesting read, to have him trying actively to stop some singular entity than reading a book of him protesting. He lives in a fictional world and there is no reason he cant solve problems throughout.

Call me a traditionalist but i like watching heroes fight villains, not watching them protest and make out with people.
Pretty sure he does that. Do you read his comics? Like, his first story was him fighting a wildfire-causing metahuman. Basically a textbook example of what you think he could be doing instead of being preachy.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Pretty sure he does that. Do you read his comics? Like, his first story was him fighting a wildfire-causing metahuman. Basically a textbook example of what you think he could be doing instead of being preachy.
Oh yeah, thats a good point. Like, I think a lot of his first stories were also about him fighting corrupt cops and bad land lords and such.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Oh yeah, thats a good point. Like, I think a lot of his first stories were also about him fighting corrupt cops and bad land lords and such.
In keeping with the original comics, the military does show up and make everything worse