Supermassive Black Hole Spawns Insanely Powerful "Winds"

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Supermassive Black Hole Spawns Insanely Powerful "Winds"

Scientists from NASA and the ESA have confirmed that black holes emit X-Ray winds in all directions, which has a significant effect on how young galaxies develop.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/black%20hole?os=black+hole>Black holes are pretty strange in that everybody knows they exist, but we understand so little about them. For example, while scientists know black holes consume matter, it's also suspected they emit X-Ray "winds" in all directions that influence how surrounding stars grow. But it wasn't until recently - when telescopes spotted <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121238-New-Data-Shows-Black-Holes-Are-Bigger-Than-Expected>a supermassive black hole two million light years away - that we could prove the essential role they have in galaxy formation.

"We know black holes in the centers of galaxies can feed on matter, and this process can produce winds. This is thought to regulate the growth of the galaxies," Fiona Harrison of Caltech explained. "Knowing the speed, shape and size of the winds, we can now figure out how powerful they are."

The discovery was made when NASA's Nuclear Spectroscopic Telescope Array (or NuSTAR) and the ESA's XMM-Newton telescope trained their focus on quasar galaxy PDS-456. Like many galaxies, PDS-456 has a supermassive black hole at its center, but as a young galaxy we have a much clearer visual on the effect of its winds: As the black hole chows down on matter, it releases insanely powerful X-Ray winds that push gases out of the galaxy, preventing young stars from using the gases as fuel.

Scientists were aware of X-Ray winds from previous observations, but could only see winds that were blowing towards Earth. By working together the two telescopes were finally able to confirm that X-Ray winds travel in all directions from the black hole, in an almost spherical fashion. "The complementarity of these two X-ray observatories is enabling us to unveil previously hidden details about the powerful side of the universe," XMN-Newton project scientist Norbert Schartel said.

Thanks to its distance, PDS-456 also gives us a clearer picture of what the universe looked like 10 billion years ago when supermassive black holes were more common. The report suggests these winds played a hugely significant role in how galaxies form - these winds carry more energy per second than is emitted by over a trillion suns.

"For an astronomer, studying PDS 456 is like a paleontologist being given a living dinosaur to study," NASA's Daniel Stern said. "We are able to investigate the physics of these important systems with a level of detail not possible for those found at more typical distances, during the 'Age of Quasars'."

Source: USA Today

Dec 10, 2012
'Age of Quasars' needs to be a video game. It would be like a cross between Dragon Age and Mass Effect. And the final boss is a giant angry quasar that tries to blast you into subatomic particles and make a quasar out of you, and you have decide whether to save yourself or give birth to a new galaxy.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Chilly winds are driving me away, oh baby... Chilly winds are driving-

*Stops and looks around*

My dad listened to the oldies alot, okay?

(Though, to be fair, these winds are 'hot'.)

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
All I could think of while reading this article is

Black holes are certainly interesting. Hopefully they don't turn out to be what they were in Interstellar.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Dr.Susse said:

Black holes are certainly interesting. Hopefully they don't turn out to be what they were in Interstellar.
Really? Because I could only think of this.

OT: Spehss is cool

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
lax4life said:
Dr.Susse said:

Really? Because I could only think of this.

OT: Spehss is cool
Now I'll never think of anything else.......*Shudders*

mindfaQ

Dec 6, 2013
Funny how different associations are. I thought of "farting black holes" when reading the header. Well I guess that at least goes roughly into the direction of the yt-video posted above... ... oh well ^^

It's fun reading about those sightings, more often than not mindboggling what extremely lie/lay out there.

mtarzaim02

Jan 23, 2014
"what the universe looked like 10 billion years ago when supermassive black holes were more common."

Wut?

I always assumed black holes were pretty much eternal, given their inherent mechanics.
Does that imply supermassive black holes dies out from accelerated matter decay?

Or is it just a really bad way to say that, at that time, SMBH were more important statistically speaking, compared to other types of stars?

drakonz

Mar 1, 2014
mtarzaim02 said:
"what the universe looked like 10 billion years ago when supermassive black holes were more common."

Wut?

I always assumed black holes were pretty much eternal, given their inherent mechanics.
Does that imply supermassive black holes dies out from accelerated matter decay?

Or is it just a really bad way to say that, at that time, SMBH were more important statistically speaking, compared to other types of stars?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation
to sum it up black hole starts losing mass and energy faster than they gain. Causing black hole to shrink and eventually vanish compledly.