Supervolcano Melts Roads into "Asphalt Soup" at Yellowstone National Park

Hebby

Dec 8, 2013
Saetha said:
Christ, so much doom and gloom in this thread. This is why I don't particularly care for apocalyptic fiction.
This is not fiction, it is science. Super vulcanos blow up. That's what they do. They just take their sweet time doing it.
It is important to recognize the danger. Blowing it (as it were) off as fiction does not assist humanity.

Yellowstone tends to have a major eruption every 600,000 to 700,000 years ? numbers determined by ash deposits aged using geochemical and radioactive dating. That means another one might not be far off.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Hebby said:
Saetha said:
Christ, so much doom and gloom in this thread. This is why I don't particularly care for apocalyptic fiction.
This is not fiction, it is science. Super vulcanos blow up. That's what they do. They just take their sweet time doing it.
It is important to recognize the danger. Blowing it (as it were) off as fiction does not assist humanity.

Yellowstone tends to have a major eruption every 600,000 to 700,000 years ? numbers determined by ash deposits aged using geochemical and radioactive dating. That means another one might not be far off.
I... wasn't saying this was fiction? I was just noting why I don't care for fiction based around such scenarios. There's nothing I can do about this. It either happens or it doesn't. Why indulge the depression and worry it brings if I have no power to change it?

You want to worry about this? Fine. Go ahead. Me, I'm gonna try and actually enjoy life, regardless of whether or not it's about to end. As some no-name college student with no interest in any scientific field, that's about all I can do.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
I live just a few hours from Yellowstone. If the super-volcano did erupt, I'd be very, very dead. Still a great place to visit though.

YOLO

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Maybe those Super Volcano documentaries have scared me shitless, but Yellow Stone park legitimately frightens me.

And it has nothing to do with the wildlife. Your basically making a tourist attraction on top of a super volcano. One that is ACTIVE.

This is just another reminder that any time in the near or far future that thing is going to blow hard. And from what I've read and watch, when a super volcano blows the top, it has horribly disastrous consequences to a wide range of area.

I would personally stay far the hell away from it. Period.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Copper Zen said:
Then it gets worse: There are scores/hundreds of nuclear plants scattered across the U.S.; One of the true life disaster scenarios that are routinely ignored in Zombie or plague movies, etc, is that without proper attention any one of those plants could suffer a meltdown. With a disaster of this level dozens of plants would suffer meltdowns leading to Chernobyl-like catastrophes scattered all across the nation.
Not really, nuclear reactors are very safe these days.

If the worse happens, the thing might melt down, yes, in which case the reactor turns liquid and drains into a special hole underneath and sits there. This is normally a disaster, in that your very expensive power station isn't good for much, but that wouldn't be much of a concern when the US is falling apart.

But, yeah, nobody tends to concern themselves with the vital infrastructure. After something like that, lots of lazy Americans would be illegally going to other countries, spreading diseases and not paying taxes.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Man forget about Yellowstone and super volcanos and earthquakes, we gotta worry about the Starquakes.

Nevermind the fact that the closest neutron star is at least 250 light-years away, if that shit happens within a couple of light-years, boom. We're done.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Not much to do about this except sit and wait... wonder what, if any, effect it would have on relatively close by fault lines... However I've read somewhere the odds of a full blown eruption anytime soon, according to the USGS, is about 700,000 to 1 to about 1,000,000 to 1 or so... also the current theory is that its more solid matter underneath the surface than liquid magma which supposedly means eruption is less likely. Still if it did happen to go kablooey I'm glad I don't live in the Pacific Northwest. Hell I'm almost on the opposite end of the contintental US so yay! All I have to worry about is nature trying to drown me with rain or blow me off the map with high winds every summer... or at least threatening to do so.