Supporting the Escapist

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Alright. So I know, this is kind of a weird, sappy thing to ask. At the risk of sounding like some kind of total brown-noser, whats the best way for me - as an end user - to support The Escapist and it's revived brand of journalism, now that the site is back under Russ' management and old content creators are returning. Just... turn off my ad-block and click around on pages? Click ads? How do I generate revenue for them, so they don't die (again)

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I dunno, use the site, be active, get involved in the discussions that interest you. Read/watch the content, commenting on them probably helps too, shows people are interested.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Just be a good user (interact with threads, make your own thread, don't be a dickbutt, etc) and please turn off Ad Block.

Although as stated above, please do NOT buy Publisher's Club as it is in the process of being shut down...

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
Just be a good user (interact with threads, make your own thread, don't be a dickbutt, etc) and please turn off Ad Block.

Although as stated above, please do NOT buy Publisher's Club as it is in the process of being shut down...
Just a thing for people who are gunshy about turning off adblock - at least in my region the ads are no longer full volume autoplay sound. They are typically video ads that scroll up in the bottom of the screen, but they aren't obnoxious anymore and they haven't crashed my browser in a while.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Turning off your ad blocker would be great. Please do that. The quality of ads has improved significantly since Enthusiast acquired the site from Defy.

Were will also be doing Patreons or other forms of crowdfunding to create new, possibly experimental content.

Stay tuned for more on that.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
Turning off your ad blocker would be great. Please do that. The quality of ads has improved significantly since Enthusiast acquired the site from Defy.

Were will also be doing Patreons or other forms of crowdfunding to create new, possibly experimental content.

Are we allowed to discuss the subject or is it a "nuke the thread" topic again?

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
vallorn said:
Russ Pitts said:

The revised rules list ad blocker and the discussion of ad blocker as an offense again.

AngelBlackChaos

Aug 3, 2010
Russ Pitts said:

I literally JUST found out about the old team getting back together. I watched Yatzee's videos occasionally but hated how the site changed. I think I worried my husband a bit with how excited I got about The Escapist getting turned around. Please let everyone know how to support as soon as it is developed!

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
TsunamiWombat said:
Did I inadvertently stumble into some kind of forum drama?
Adblock is a somewhat notorious no-no for discussion on this site, at least the advocating of using it.

There was a little bit of forum drama years ago when Jim Sterling (then a contributor) did a video somewhat advocating for its use, and then when people were reacting to the video some of them received warning and bans for advocating it or telling their experiences with it.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
vallorn said:
Russ Pitts said:

If you mean "we" as in "me" as in "making an announcement that the quality of ads has improved, and that we intend to keep it as classy as we can so that we can afford to continue running the site and maybe if that's important to you, then consider turning off or whitelisting your ad-blocker, then yes.

If you mean "we" as in "you" as in "promoting or debating the use of ad-blockers on this forum" then, no.