Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade; states can ban abortion

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
That was never a conversation I was apart of.
I am well aware that this is an irrelevant side conversation that doesn't have anything to do with the thread topic, yes
And you're obviously not for trying to help whole populations because you keep voting the same people into power that actively hurt whole populations.
Lmao

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Sure they do, this is not Palestine, you won't be met with David's finest at the border if you try to cross states lol.
So moving out of state and uprooting yourself from your support base is easy, so long as no one is pointing a gun at you. Jesus dude, your lived experience is not universal.

Yes, you vote for people with no power base or track record and can't win, which is dramatically unhelpful in situations involving malicious opposing forces looking to bring us back to pre-industrial era rules
Yes, but the Likes he gets on Facebook make it all worth it.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I didn't realize not even being middle-class for income = very privileged
My favorite part of this whole exchange was where having ties to your home town and a support system to keep you there was implied to be a product of poverty, as though leaving your family is a point of privilege that only rich people get to do. It's amazing how people can simultaneously hold that impoverished people cross the southern US border to better their lives, but also impoverished people in developed cities are too poor to move like 10 miles away.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
So moving out of state and uprooting yourself from your support base is easy, so long as no one is pointing a gun at you. Jesus dude, your lived experience is not universal.
It's as easy or hard as you make it for yourself, based on your convictions and your level of care about the reason for said uprooting. Me personally, I never looked back because I had something significant-enough to focus on and keep looking forward in my striving to pursue it so there was no time for it once the choice was made.

My lived experience is extremely unusual but it's more to do with the particular why motivating me and less with the method of realizing that motivation into results. The method is universal as long as you don't live in some type of prison state like North Korea that doesn't allow you to leave. And hell even those people manage to escape sometime, and they have guns firing at them if they spot em fleeing in the border to china.

And sure, I get that to some people nothing in their life is worth this inconvenience, that nothing is significant enough to warrant the expense and sacrifices, that much is obvious. All I'm saying is that someone like that loses the right to complain about laws being changed, cause they clearly don't really affect em all that much.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
I stopped reading here. It's just a load of naive, regurgitated self-help glurge. If I wanted that shit, I'd listen to Jordan Peterson.
I mean, you have to try cause you will definitely never get anything to improve if you don't, so might as well try hoping you will succeed. Being naive will not feel bad as long as you don't fail. It's less self-help and more an observation about the human condition. People can do stuff, they just have to try.

Conservatives like Peterson will use this to blame the unfortunate people who fail and make it their fault but no, it's the world's fault cause it's an imperfect world out there and sometimes you can try your best and come short and we need to have a system to support you when that happens.

At the same time people who didn't even try, sure, it's their fault in part. The world also failed em too cause it discouraged em from trying but they should have been able to do so despite that at the end of the day.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I mean, you have to try cause you will definitely never get anything to improve if you don't, so might as well try hoping you will succeed. Being naive will not feel bad as long as you don't fail. It's less self-help and more an observation about the human condition. People can do stuff, they just have to try.

Conservatives like Peterson will use this to blame the unfortunate people who fail and make it their fault but no, it's the world's fault cause it's an imperfect world out there and sometimes you can try your best and come short and we need to have a system to support you when that happens.

At the same time people who didn't even try, sure, it's their fault in part. The world also failed em too cause it discouraged em from trying but they should have been able to do so despite that at the end of the day.
You're starting to come off as one of those people who uses the phrase "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" without realizing that the phrase was meant to refer to something that was impossible to do and demonstrate that just because you work hard at something doesn't guarantee success.

Let's say people take your advice. They don't like the laws where they live, so they move to another state. Except oops, they couldn't find a job in time, and they can't afford rent because the cost of living tends to be pretty damn high in blue states, so now they are homeless. How is this person supposed to "try harder"? What would them trying harder entail?

ETA: Or they do get a job, but because the gap between "living wage" and "minimum wage" is so large, they are literally unable to work enough hours to make enough money to make rent.

Reactions: Buyetyen

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Living in a big city is just ridiculously expensive. There's tons of happy medium places that isn't a big city nor rural area. And liberal governments keep voting against affordable housing constantly...
By that of course you mean the suburbs.

The problem is, most jobs are concentrated in big cities and the jobs which aren't tend to pay less. Living in the suburbs means you still have to commute to get to those jobs just as if you lived in the middle of nowhere. Since suburbs don't tend to have great public transport links (and are often extremely poorly serviced in terms of traffic management), this means either hoping you get lucky with the bus routes or owning a car and accepting long commutes and expenses from doing so.

From an urban planning perspective, suburbs are also terrible. They encourage car dependence, they increase alienation and social isolation due to single use zoning, they make people overweight and unhealthy, they force urban areas which could be used for things like affordable housing to be used for massive parking lots.

And bear in mind, I'm talking about European suburbs, not the vast, horrifying sprawl you find around most American cities. That's even worse.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Yes, you vote for people with no power base or track record and can't win, which is dramatically unhelpful in situations involving malicious opposing forces looking to bring us back to pre-industrial era rules
They'd have power if others voted for them... The only reason the 2 parties have power is because people vote for them. No track record is better than the shit track record the 2 main parties have.

Yes, but the Likes he gets on Facebook make it all worth it.
I don't do social media, it's horrible for your mental health. I'm guessing the response back will be it must be nice to be so privileged to not need to use social media...

Yup, just because the system is messed up doesn't mean there's no room to better your situation.

You're starting to come off as one of those people who uses the phrase "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" without realizing that the phrase was meant to refer to something that was impossible to do and demonstrate that just because you work hard at something doesn't guarantee success.

Let's say people take your advice. They don't like the laws where they live, so they move to another state. Except oops, they couldn't find a job in time, and they can't afford rent because the cost of living tends to be pretty damn high in blue states, so now they are homeless. How is this person supposed to "try harder"? What would them trying harder entail?

ETA: Or they do get a job, but because the gap between "living wage" and "minimum wage" is so large, they are literally unable to work enough hours to make enough money to make rent.
Exactly, white people can't pull themselves up by the bootstraps because they're too privileged, it's unpossible. You can't go more than a few blocks where I'm at without finding a job starting at $15/hour. That's enough to make it if you're on your own. And why don't you have any money saved to make it for awhile? Also, unemployment exists.

I wonder why blue states have high costs of living, could it be because of democratic policies...?

The problem is, most jobs are concentrated in big cities and the jobs which aren't tend to pay less. Living in the suburbs means you still have to commute to get to those jobs just as if you lived in the middle of nowhere. Since suburbs don't tend to have great public transport links (and are often extremely poorly serviced in terms of traffic management), this means either hoping you get lucky with the bus routes or owning a car and accepting long commutes and expenses from doing so.

From an urban planning perspective, suburbs are also terrible. They encourage car dependence, they increase alienation and social isolation due to single use zoning, they make people overweight and unhealthy, they force urban areas which could be used for things like affordable housing to be used for massive parking lots.

And bear in mind, I'm talking about European suburbs, not the vast, horrifying sprawl you find around most American cities. That's even worse.
There's tons of jobs outside Chicago in Chicagoland. I worked in Chicago for a bit, never again. Big cities tend to not have great public transport either, we're talking about America here. How is owning a car some big thing? You make less outside the city because the cost of living is less outside the city. Yes, I've seen a Not Just Bikes video before. Getting to work in Chicago on public transport (I've done it for just over a year) is far worse than terrible car dependent suburbia. People make people overweight, you don't have to eat shit. I doubt Chicagoans are much healthier than people in the suburbs; if anything it's probably the opposite. There's far more affordable housing in the suburbs than in Chicago, unless you're looking in bad neighborhoods.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
They'd have power if others voted for them... The only reason the 2 parties have power is because people vote for them. No track record is better than the shit track record the 2 main parties have.
No track record means that they haven't done jack squat. This shit is why you need to start with winnable local races and prove you can do the job. National government is not the place for some random shmoe to be cutting their teeth and it's a *huge* ask to get 70-80 million votes for a random guy who claims to have good ideas and zero track record.
I don't do social media, it's horrible for your mental health. I'm guessing the response back will be it must be nice to be so privileged to not need to use social media...
Also, unemployment exists.
I wonder why blue states have high costs of living, could it be because of democratic policies...?
YouTube is social media and it's rotted your brain.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Then get the fuck off YouTube.
That's quite unfair. While YT Shorts are leaning that way, YT as a whole is in another dimension compared to SC, IG, FB (the old titan stands out a bit nowadays in the West, tbh), and TikTok.

Anyways it's certainly a privilege to have the means to just mooooove because of abortion rights. It's a bigger deal than a potential problem one might have (and can usually prevent). Therefore I think derailing into housing options is becoming a waste of time.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
No track record means that they haven't done jack squat. This shit is why you need to start with winnable local races and prove you can do the job. National government is not the place for some random shmoe to be cutting their teeth and it's a *huge* ask to get 70-80 million votes for a random guy who claims to have good ideas and zero track record.

YouTube is social media and it's rotted your brain.
You keep saying all this stuff that I never said or implied. I vote for the best candidate in every election. So voting for the people with no good ideas and a complete shit track record is better than no track record in your world?

Youtube holds content of so many different types. I guess anything on a TV screen with a person(s) is social media to you. At least I don't get my news from Twitter that has basically 0 good content. You're the one that can't follow science and rather do "napkin math" so it matches your narrative.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
You keep saying all this stuff that I never said or implied. I vote for the best candidate in every election. So voting for the people with no good ideas and a complete shit track record is better than no track record in your world?
Yeah, see, we can still bully democrats into doing stuff.They just passed a few things, dunno if you've been watching the news. Not, like, super great things, but better than the nothing your folks have done. Plus, things like complete federal abortion bans are things they don't support, out of a base survival instinct if nothing else
Youtube holds content of so many different types. I guess anything on a TV screen with a person(s) is social media to you. At least I don't get my news from Twitter that has basically 0 good content. You're the one that can't follow science and rather do "napkin math" so it matches your narrative.
Amazing that you'll accept a YouTube video but not a Twitter post linking to a YouTube video. Your brain is fascinating

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Big cities tend to not have great public transport either, we're talking about America here.
I mean, we're at the point where that has to change or we've all got bigger problems.

1/4 of people living in Chicago don't own cars, and that's a pretty normal figure for US cities. It's quite a lot lower than the equivalent percentage in most European cities, but it is clearly possible to survive in a major US city by using public transport. Millions of people do it.

How is owning a car some big thing?
It's a much, much bigger thing than worrying about your cellphone contract..

You make less outside the city because the cost of living is less outside the city.
Thus, when comparing that cost of living, you should adjust your expenses to account for the lost earning potential of not being in a major city before deciding you've found some magic money hack anyone can use to solve all their financial problems.

People make people overweight
I'm confused about what you think this statement means or does.

You don't have to eat shit
..but it is a way to save money.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa

Obviously you have to have a job lined up before moving. I never said you didn't. Surely you can find something in the time it would take for the law changes to first actually come into effect and then start influencing your life.

Also my point is a more extreme example intended to illustrate that most people who whinge online don't really care about or are affected as much by the things they're complaining about. That they complain as a role they play to be part of their political team.

Once you put people face to face with situations like you describe it becomes obvious how silly it is to worry about things like abortion. A lot of this is more about the idea of something which used to be considered a right of women being reversed, and less something that will actually affect people in real terms.

And no I said we need to support people who fail, the bootstraps people are fine letting em die out in the streets. I support policy to build a house for every legal adult and a UBI that covers rent and utilities and food costs that scales with your area's cost of living, and a maximum wage at most 10x the lowest paid employee in a company. Not quite what you'd call bootstraps.

Work from home solves this, and as covid happened a lot more jobs transitioned into offering that option to people. It's not quite there in every field but it's moving in a good direction in a big way.

And no suburbs are awesome for outdoorsy stuff cause there's less people about and parks aren't filled with people sleeping in the benches and so on. If you're a lazy fuck you can be one there too of course but it's not due to having to drive as opposed to take the train. Also no suburb I've ever lived in comes close to being as car-reliant as california was and I didn't even live in LA which is even worse than SD or so I hear.

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
You're missing the whole fucking point. The phone example is a microcosm. You do that for everything in your life. You know, like, manage ALL your money properly...

Why do you all have to make up bullshit things just to keep your narrative going? I do not hang with "rich kids". The one friend who needed a new engine for his car lives in Riverdale Illinois and here's the Google front page searching for "riverdale illinois", that look like a rich neighborhood? A boarded up house is literally the 1st picture. And the friend's house is in such bad condition, he's probably just gonna sell it to a contractor (because he can't actually sell it to a buyer because of the state it's in) for a few thousand bucks. Yep, but he's somehow rich and somehow a kid (in his 40s) in your head just to keep your narrative going...
View attachment 6746
A microcosm of... people not managing their finances?

Like, I'm not the one pretending that every poor person is buying $720 phones. Most poor people aren't buying $300 phones. Most don't have avo toast, have a car, buy expensive clothes or go out for expensive food

The average poor person manages the fuck out of their finances. They just don't earn enough money for any sort of financing leading to savings of any substance

YOU missed the point. Just because SOME people can't manage their finances, doesn't not mean poor people can't

Reactions: Buyetyen