Supreme Court rejects affirmative action at colleges as unconstitutional

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thank the lord, now white folks can finally go to college
Asian were by far the most affected by this.

This was an easy cases, university were clearly and openly using race to determine who would be allowed in. This is a textbook definition of racism, there's nothing much else to say. If the goal was to help people from poor background get in, they could have simply used income/wealth instead, they did not. It's an open secret that the main advantages of going to prestigious university is to form a network with people who have influential relatives, by using race as a selection criteria they can allow in peoples from rich background (with rich relative) while claiming they are not an exclusive club.

I do wish they would get sued over legacy admission too,

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

This was an easy cases, university were clearly and openly using race to determine who would be allowed in. This is a textbook definition of racism, there's nothing much else to say. If the goal was to help people from poor background get in, they could have simply used income/wealth instead, they did not. It's an open secret that the main advantages of going to prestigious university is to form a network with people who have influential relatives, by using race as a selection criteria they can allow in peoples from rich background (with rich relative) while claiming they are not an exclusive club.

100% this.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA

I've experienced racism and nepotism in my life. Nepotism was far more material a matter.
Directly and indirectly, higher education does receive public finance. If the people are footing the bill, it should be illegal to discriminate against any of us for having chosen the wrong parents. Legacy admission should be outlawed.

Reactions: Leg End and Worgen

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I assumed they would do something like if you got a high enough score you could bypass it and be elevated, or the admissions would be more rigid, and less subjective. Or increase transparency. They got rid of all of it???

50 Bucks says they will get rid of all of the student loan forgiveness as well.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I assumed they would do something like if you got a high enough score you could bypass it and be elevated, or the admissions would be more rigid, and less subjective. Or increase transparency. They got rid of all of it???

They will if it is race based. If it is income based, maybe not.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
They will if it is race based. If it is income based, maybe not.
No, what I meant was that the court was going more conservative in its decisions and will pick another conservative court decision.

Reactions: gorfias

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
Race based AA was always living on borrowed time. The only question was when.
This was clear to anyone who read Grutter v. Bollinger.
I would like to say that I would also favor scrapping legacy admissions. And a bunch of other non-meritocratic methods of admission.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
With the popular opinion both here and Reddit seeming to be "yeah, that makes sense, just take out that other thing too", I may have to read all the opinions, particularly the dissents, to see how the liberal judges managed to dissent to something that even internet lefties can agree to.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Yet, somehow, is still valid for the military. Because seeing leadership that reflects the general population is *good*, but only if you carry rifles as a job

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Yet, somehow, is still valid for the military. Because seeing leadership that reflects the general population is *good*, but only if you carry rifles as a job
More because the Court generally tries not to get involved with how the military operates except in the most egregious cases. See also a big part of why National Coalition For Men v Selective Service got killed, coupled with Congress proposing a fix while the case was on the docket and then as soon as the case went away dropping it.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
More because the Court generally tries not to get involved with how the military operates except in the most egregious cases. See also a big part of why National Coalition For Men v Selective Service got killed, coupled with Congress proposing a fix while the case was on the docket and then as soon as the case went away dropping it.
Begs the question if affirmative action is still okay for ROTC programs at civilian colleges

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015

You win $50

The double whammy of not having a meaningfully independent judiciary and a barely functional legislature has allowed the US to waltz into being significantly governed by a partisan body that is made up of lifetime political appointees, in a fun inversion of the trajectory of the House of Lords in the UK.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The website thing is literally just upholding precedent from the cake ruling years ago...
It's really not. More to the point, it shouldn't've been heard at all as the "website designer" hadn't made a website yet, was not asked to make a website, and basically fabricated the entire ordeal

Theoretically, the court doesn't rule on hypotheticals. Until they do, because a huge chunk of it are blatantly political actors

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
It's really not. More to the point, it shouldn't've been heard at all as the "website designer" hadn't made a website yet, was not asked to make a website, and basically fabricated the entire ordeal

Theoretically, the court doesn't rule on hypotheticals. Until they do, because a huge chunk of it are blatantly political actors
So you're upset the court, in essence, wasted some time then? Because the ruling doesn't change anything.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
So you're upset the court, in essence, wasted some time then? Because the ruling doesn't change anything.
I mean, its like the trans bathroom thing. People made up stuff to scare them so ban they ban trans from toilets. Maybe they should stop faking events to scare people?

Reactions: crimson5pheonix