Surprise! Phantom Dust Remaster Releases Tomorrow, For Free

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013

Cult Xbox classic Phantom Dust has gotten a remaster for Xbox One and Windows 10, and its completely free!

Sometimes surprises are bad, and sometimes they are good. Today, Microsoft has a pretty good one for us. Phantom Dust, the cult classic action-adventure for the original Xbox was slated for a remaster for the Xbox 360 back in 2014, when Microsoft cancelled it. Suprise! It's actually uncancelled, and will release tomorrow. For free.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/864239501383684096]

The news comes courtesy of Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg, who announced that the remaster will be exclusive to the Xbox One and Windows 10. It's worth noting that the game will have microtransactions, but the game director has confirmed that no "progression type stuff" has been locked behind a paywall.

Here are the minimum specs:

Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHz | AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 | AMD Radeon HD 7750
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection

Source: Microsoft [https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/864239501383684096/]

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I can't believe I owned this game. Makes me wonder if I still would if Steel Battalion was backwards compatible on 360.
I don't think it'll make much money from micro transactions.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Sweet, I loved this game back in the day. I doubt it holds up, but at the rate Microsoft is going I'll take anything they've got for me.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
Steven Bogos said:
OK.......

Steven Bogos said:
It's worth noting that the game will have microtransactions
I should've known. That's always the fucking trick when it comes to a game being free 95% of the time.
Then again, I did hear that this game had card game elements which works favorably with microtransactions, I think.......

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Never heard of this game before. Anyone willing to shed some light on it being worth a try?

If yes, it might maybe, just maybe, make up for the latest Win10 update breaking my network drivers. Again.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Chimpzy said:
Never heard of this game before. Anyone willing to shed some light on it being worth a try?
I remember playing it (a decade ago) and I'd say it's worth a try. As for the game, it's a bit difficult to explain...

You start with a "deck" of power "cards", then you're transported into a 3D arena, where your "cards" are randomly doled out to you via bubbles that appear around the arena (similar to like Mario Kart).

Gutsripper

Aug 23, 2010
For free on the Windows Store... so the only price would be my dignity and privacy then.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Well, dang. I was looking forward to this, but didn't realize it's Win10 only.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Imre Csete said:
Windows Store, no thanks.
So you are turning down a free game because of the store front it is on?

Gutsripper said:
For free on the Windows Store... so the only price would be my dignity and privacy then.
What info do you think the Windows Store takes that you already aren't handing over willingly to Valve?

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
votemarvel said:
So you are turning down a free game because of the store front it is on?
The store front it is on currently, let's see if it lives. Microsoft has a dozen of discontinued online services. I got tired of circumventing GFWL in games I purchased, so pass.

Gutsripper

Aug 23, 2010
votemarvel said:
What info do you think the Windows Store takes that you already aren't handing over willingly to Valve?
A lot more than I'm giving Valve, don't forget in order to use the Windows store it will need to link your Windows 10 with an online Microsoft account. If you think that's the same as having a steam account then go right ahead.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Imre Csete said:
The storefront it is on currently, let's see if it lives. Microsoft has a dozen of discontinued online services. I got tired of circumventing GFWL in games I purchased, so pass.
It's free though, so if Microsoft closed their store tomorrow you would lose nothing.

Gutsripper said:
A lot more than I'm giving Valve, don't forget in order to use the Windows store it will need to link your Windows 10 with an online Microsoft account. If you think that's the same as having a steam account then go right ahead.
You can create a Microsoft account with completely fake details and if you don't want to put your debit/credit card on there then you can buy gift cards from pretty much anywhere online.

I'll never understand the loyalty some people have to Valve.

Gutsripper

Aug 23, 2010
votemarvel said:
You can create a Microsoft account with completely fake details and if you don't want to put your debit/credit card on there then you can buy gift cards from pretty much anywhere online.

I'll never understand the loyalty some people have to Valve.
Mate this has nothing to do with credit card info or "loyalty to valve" (seriously never heard anybody use that term anyway).
Windows 10 has a shit ton of privacy issues that are only made worse by linking it to any microsoft account.