Surprised by Skyrim's resolution on xbox vs ps3

dandahammer

Partaker of adult beverages
Jun 2, 2009
We got our Skyrim copies in at the walmart I manage and on the back of the box: Ps3 1080i resolution; xbox 1080p resolution. Ps3, I am disappoint. Hoping it's a misprint. I'll be able to tell since I'm borrowing my bro's xbox til my ps3 returns from the repair shop.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
uh, what?
your playing on what 5-6 yr old hardware? im surprised its not 720p like a lot of games that have been coming out are.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Excuse me while I put on my "I have a degree in media technology" hat, but there is no difference between 1080i, and 1080p.
The only differences are between whether the pixels are interlaced or not.
(If you don't know what I mean by "interlaced" play a VHS, then pause it.)

Furthermore, there is also no quality difference between 1080, and 720. The only thing that is different between the two is the aspect ratio.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Excuse me while I put on my "I have a degree in media technology" hat, but there is no difference between 1080i, and 1080p.

Furthermore, there is also no quality difference between 1080, and 720. The only thing that is different between the two is the aspect ratio.
Maybe this is a parody and my sense of humor is not working. 1080i means the video has a vertical resolution of 540 lines, while 1080p resolves details more sharply due to having 1080 vertical lines, twice the amount. You might not personally care and that's fine, but there is a big objective difference between 1080i and 1080p.

Also 720p and 1080p have the same aspect ratio, 16:9.

ColeusRattus

Apr 16, 2009
Frank_Sinatra_ said:

You, kind sir, have no idea what you are talking about and what "interlaced" even means.

The hard facts:

1080p = 1920x1080 pixels, equals 2,073,600 pixels on screen.

1080i = 1920x540 pixels, equals 1,036,800 pixels. To "fill up" a full HD 1080p screen, the vertical pixels are stretched one line of the image down to still fill up the whole screen.

interlacing literally means that image lines are skipped, which was apparent in the mid nineties, where FMVs were used intensively in games, which often offered a literal interlaced option, which made every second line of the image black.

Also, there is a quality difference between 1080p and 720p, with 720p sporting the resolution of 1280x720 pixels, resulting in 921,600 pixels on screen.

and those are not just numbers. If you have a 1080p TV or Monitor, you will notice a difference between the resolutions. If you don't then everything will look the same, because everything will be drawn in the best resolution your screen can handle, not the best resolution the game can draw.

And the lower the resolution, the less strain it is on the hardware to calculate it.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Frank_Sinatra_ said:

1080i equals 540p, and all the missing bits are averaged out.

And the reason you can't notice a difference between 1080p and 720p is because consoles can't manage to render in 1080p, it's just upscaled from a smaller resolution to keep the game running smooth and the tech dummies happy "cuz 1080p iz d bestest shit".

StingRay02

Jul 22, 2008
As I understand it, "i" stands for interlaced, which means the screen redraws only half of the lines on each pass (half the "old" scene and half the "new" scene are interlaced to create a whole picture). It's not that the lines are stretched or filled in, but the screen draws all the even-numbered lines on one pass, then all the odd-numbered lines on the next pass. "p" for progressive means the screen refreshes every single line every single pass (each line is drawn progressively). Thus, 1080i looks less sharper than 1080p because you're getting a mix of the "new" and "old" pictures on the screen. This is why 120hz screens are a big deal, as well, because the faster the TV redraws the scene, the sharper the image appears.

Even if that's not entirely accurate, though, upscaling is the key. A lot of PS3 games only offer up to 720p (which is a bit better than 1080i, though probably not noticeably (in fact, a lot of places simply equate 1080i to 720p)), where the 360 versions claim to offer 1080p.

The trick is, the PS3 version is (as I understand it) often honestly rendering the game in 720p, where the 360 version is rendering it at a lower resolution and then digitally converting the picture to be 1080p. It's the same idea as upscaling a DVD; the picture will look better than without the upscaling, but not as good as a true HD picture like from Blu-Ray.

It seems extremely likely that Skyrim will be rendered at 720p on the PS3 version, so if that kind of thing concerns you, that's the better version to buy. The perceived inferiority is just marketing.