Survey Finds Most Americans Believe Games Cause Violence

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
OANST said:
Survey says: Escapist writer uses anecdotal evidence to make himself look smart in latest aggressive, ill-informed article.
I'm kinda getting that vibe from the escapist in general.(Anecdotal) Almost every article about video games being violent should be banned comes with some smug comment on how they shouldn't be and everyone who thinks otherwise is a drooling moron.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Tipsy Giant said:
Most Americans believe in a giant living in the clouds too, but we try not to laugh at them for that!
No offence, but that's like a middle finger to christians & catholics, next time, THINK before you do anything.(coincidentally, that is just what those adults need to do).

Feb 19, 2010
well, atleast SOME say its the job of paransts to see how the games work.

still survey says, 54% of americans are perantally narcelepticlally retarded( yes i just made that up on the spot)

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Also, look at the level of violence in movies; people don't say that THEY cause violence.

I mean seriously, it's not like I'm going to stab/shoot a person after playing GTA.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Depends on who they asked, what the actual question was (word-for-word), etc. etc.

OANST

Aug 10, 2009
feather240 said:
OANST said:
Survey says: Escapist writer uses anecdotal evidence to make himself look smart in latest aggressive, ill-informed article.
I'm kinda getting that vibe from the escapist in general.(Anecdotal) Almost every article about video games being violent are banned comes with some smug comment on how they're not and everyone who thinks otherwise is a drooling moron.
That is the only reason that I even bring it up. I personally don't believe that video games cause violence, but I also don't think that saying "Nuh-uh, look at this thing that has nothing to do what we're talking about, it proves you wrong" is the way to win an argument. Nor is it an acceptable way to present news. Unless, of course, you work for Fox News.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
sheogoraththemad said:
come on people let's get a facepalm combo going!
IMAGE SNIP
You mean like this?

Anyways, this survey seems like it was incredibly vague, from what I've seen of it. It'd be like me releasing a survey asking if guns were capable of killing people and then releasing results that 90-100% of people believe guns are responsible for every death that has ever occured.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Jiraiya72 said:
Survey says: "Uninformed idiots are uninformed". Yes, yes they are.
My sentiments exactly. Do you think if we win this court case, the level of stupid in society will decrease?

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Jiraiya72 said:
Survey says: "Uninformed idiots are uninformed". Yes, yes they are.
I feel like imitating your avatar every time a "video games cause violence debate" gets sparked. (Hope you don't mind me asking but where is your avatar from?)

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
"Video games are different from what we're used to so that means they must be EVIL!!"

Ignorant halfwits.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
THAT'S NOT TRUE!!!
I'LL KILL THEM ALL RAAAAHHHHHH!
seriously though, people are just ill-informed, and believe everything the media tells them. I read a report on the history of censorship in film and I found out that people thought the same about movies, comics, and even board games.
I propose that the next time you see a bunch of protesters outside a store demanding that GTA is taken off shelves just say "I'm a gamer and I don't hurt people" and give them a big hug... you can wash yourself off afterword.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
OANST said:
mr_rubino said:
OANST said:
Survey says: Fact-averse faceless internet person attacks article blindly without reading it because he has no argument.
Survey says: Using anecdotal evidence to prove your point is a sign of not having point. Just because a fact is a fact doesn't mean that it means whatever it is that you want it to mean just because you want it to.
It works if you try. A) Statistics are not anecdotal evidence. Ill-created surveys certainly are. B) If you're not going to make your point, then don't claim you have one.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
BJ777 said:
Tipsy Giant said:
Most Americans believe in a giant living in the clouds too, but we try not to laugh at them for that!
No offence, but that's like a middle finger to christians & catholics, next time, THINK before you do anything.(coincidentally, that is just what those adults need to do).
No offence, but you assume I worry whether crazy people have hurt feelings over their "special stories" and it's HILARIOUS that i'm being TOLD TO THINK in relation to stupid superstitions LOL

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
1000 people out of the US? Oh... Yeah that is really going to show a accurate result of how people think about video games.