Survey: Videogames and Violence (for a class)

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
1. Age: 17
2. Gender: Male
3. Almost every day. :p
4. Almost every kind, but mostly FPS, RTS and plaformers.
5. Rarely, mostly because of technical difficulties, or when someone acts like a jerk while online.
6. Not at all.
7. Nope.
8. Nope.avi
9. I never have, I'm actually quite peaceful.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
1. Age: 22
2. Gender: M
3. How often do you play videogames? Few times a Week at least
4. What genres? RPG, platformers, Adventure, Action (but usually not FPS)
5. Have games ever made you angry when playing them? (ex. Rage quit, swearing) Yup. Cheap AI, poor camera, sketchy movement mechanics have all led me to a mild case of thrown controllers and a veritable sea of swears.
6. Have games ever made you physically violent when playing them? (ex. harming the controller) Yes. I've gone through a few, but can proudly say that the PS3 and Gamecube are quite durable.
7. Have games ever made you angry when not playing them? (ex. thinking about them affected your actions) No. I'm an excitable person, but simply thinking or wanting the game doesn't make me violent. Spacey, distracted, etc, yes, but not angry.
8. Have games ever made you physically violent when not playing them? (ex. thinking of them affected your actions) Kinda. I'm quite excitable, and when excited I get a little punchy, but not harmfully so.
9. How often do you engage in violent behavior? General punchiness, quite frequently. Swearing, daily. Rough sex on occasion. Beyond that, not really at all.

Mostly I keep the game-related violence to the games, haha.

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
1. Fifteen
2. Male
3. I used to play every day for hours, but I've been playing them significantly less over the last few weeks.
4. I play games in most, if not all, generas.
5. I do my best to stop before I get genuinely angry.
6. Nope. I never express my anger physically.
7. Is this even possible? (No.)
8. No.
9. Virtually never. I try to be peaceful, physically at least.

You're welcome.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
TehCookie said:
1. Age:
2. Gender:
3. How often do you play videogames?
4. What genres?
5. Have games ever made you angry when playing them? (ex. Rage quit, swearing)
6. Have games ever made you physically violent when playing them? (ex. harming the controller)
7. Have games ever made you angry when not playing them? (ex. thinking about them affected your actions)
8. Have games ever made you physically violent when not playing them? (ex. thinking of them affected your actions)
9. How often do you engage in violent behavior?

Thank you very much!
1- 17
2- Male
3- All the time
4- Mostly RPGs and FPSs
5- never
6- once
7- never
8- never
9- almost never

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
1)Age: 18
2)Gender: Male
3)Playtime: Couple of hours a day, unless I am busy.
4)Genres: Pretty much everything, except sports, simulators, dating and motion controller games.

5)Games haven't exactly made me angry, just frustrated. Yes, occasionally i swear and ragequit, but again, it's frustration, not anger.
6)I once threw my controller when I was 10 years old, never anything after that.
7)No, they haven't. The "game me" is different from me.
8)See answer #7.
9)I used to "engage in violent behaviour" about once a week during 2001-2008. 2008-present it's few times a year. These were all real fights, not slapping/pushing.
However, to be noted, they were all in self-defense, so i'm not really "violent".

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
1. 23 (on Friday)
2. Male
3. Every day
4. I'll try anything once but RPG and Strategy (real time or turn based) are my top two.
5. When I was younger, rarely now though.
6. I may squeeze it harder then normal but I've never thrown one.
7. Nope
8. Nope
9. Behavior : Rarely. I think about punishing people sometimes though.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
1. Age: 20
3. How often do you play videogames?- a lot, almost every day if you include iphone games
4. What genres?- RPG, FPS, platformer, arcade, strategy
5. Have games ever made you angry when playing them? (ex. Rage quit, swearing)- yes, but mostly in response to overly difficult final bosses or wonky control functions (frustration)
6. Have games ever made you physically violent when playing them? (ex. harming the controller)- no
7. Have games ever made you angry when not playing them? (ex. thinking about them affected your actions)- no
8. Have games ever made you physically violent when not playing them? (ex. thinking of them affected your actions)- definitely not, but i cant say the same thing for the news
TehCookie said:
what would you define as violent behavior? is ice hockey your definition of violent? because i play ice hockey. what about wrestling with your cousins? is that violent?

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
1. 19
2. Male
3. More than twice a week, almost always less than 20 hours per week.
4. Simulation, Adventure, Shooter, RTS
5. I have become frustrated in several incidences in video games due to my or teammates inactivity or belligerence, but rarely have become frustrated at the game itself.
6. Once. (Ace Combat Zero, one of the hardest Boss squadrons on hardest difficulty, got shot down with 2/8 opponents left after having made good time in that attempt. It was the 4th time that afternoon. I was so frustrated, I jumped up and threw the controller down so hard it broke in half. My frustration with the game quickly was supplanted with frustration with myself for not controlling my reactions to a video game- a consequence which cost me $30)
7. Very very rarely, if ever.
8. If they ever have, it would disturb my conscience greatly and I would work towards preventing it in the future.
9. Never.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
1. Age: 24
3. How often do you play videogames? During my time off 35hrs/week, rest of the year 10hrs/week if I'm lucky.
4. What genres? I prefer RPGs but I'll play an MMO grinder every now and then, shooters are fun.
5. Have games ever made you angry when playing them? (ex. Rage quit, swearing) I took back fable 2 even though I pre ordered.
6. Have games ever made you physically violent when playing them? (ex. harming the controller) In turok 2 seeds of evil my friends an I had infinent ammo and agreed not to use the cerebral bore, a fist fight insued because of breach of agreement.
7. Have games ever made you angry when not playing them? (ex. thinking about them affected your actions) No.
8. Have games ever made you physically violent when not playing them? (ex. thinking of them affected your actions) No.
9. How often do you engage in violent behavior? 1-2 times a year someone will start some shit because of how I dress and I'll have to knock em' out.

NinjaRabies

Mar 26, 2010
1. Age: 19.
2. Gender: Male.
3. Two-three times a week. Depending on work schedule.
4. FPS, TPS and RPG mainly.
5. Yes.
6. No. I'm a bit quicker and harsher on putting the game away, but not directly attacking the console, game or controller. Though it's been tempting.
7. No.
8. No.
9. Rare.

Note: I've been slightly aggressive longer than I've played games.

astrav1

Jul 6, 2009
1. 18
2. Male
3. Everyday for a few hours
4. Adventure, Action, RPG, pretty much everything.
5. Yes
6. Yes
7. No
8. No
9. Whenever I get physically violent while playing a game, which is rarely.

NeuroticBabbler

Feb 22, 2010
1. 16
2. Male
3. Varies. Can be from 1 to 5 hours.
4. FPS, 3PS, Stealth, Platforming, Puzzle, Survival Horror, Hack-and-Slash, RPG, sandbox.
5. Yes. They can drive me to profanity, but if it really starts to piss me off, I'll just save, turn it off, and do something else.
6. Never.
7. No.
8. No.
9. I'll occasionally punch one of my friends if they irritate me excessively. I don't swear very often (unless I'm with friends). Apart from that, not very often.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
1. Age:
2. Gender:
Female
Once a day at most. usually, once every other day, depends if I can game round my job.
4. What genres?
JRPGs, RPGs, Shooters, Beat 'em ups, FPS, Platformers, Action.
Rage quit and swearing, yes. Not full on tantrums like the idiot I live with, but a little "Fuck!"
6. Have games ever made you physically violent when playing them? (ex. harming the controller)
The worst I've done is squeezed the controller really hard. Did nothing...
7. Have games ever made you angry when not playing them? (ex. thinking about them affected your actions)
No.
8. Have games ever made you physically violent when not playing them? (ex. thinking of them affected your actions)
No.
Play fights with my boyfriend occasionally. That's about it. I'll passively tell someone to fuck off if they're being a twat.

Thank you very much!
No, thank you

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
1. 19
2. Male
3. Daily
4. RPG, MMO, FPS, RTS
5. Rarely
6. No
7. No
8. No
9. I struck one person when I was ten. So, hardly ever.

Good luck with the assignment.

Kasper Gundersen

Oct 18, 2010
1. Age: 18
2. Gender: male
3. How often do you play videogames?: Almost every day
4. What genres?: mostly RPGs, but a good hack and slash is also welcome
5. Have games ever made you angry when playing them? (ex. Rage quit, swearing): got frustrated after playing for way too long, but no, I wouldn't call it rage.
6. Have games ever made you physically violent when playing them? (ex. harming the controller): Once hit my own leg... but that was more accident than anything else...
7. Have games ever made you angry when not playing them? (ex. thinking about them affected your actions): not at all
8. Have games ever made you physically violent when not playing them? (ex. thinking of them affected your actions): Jesus no!
9. How often do you engage in violent behavior?: I'm an extreme pacifist...

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
1. Age:

2. Gender:
Male

Every day when I have the time for it

4. What genres?
Adventure, Shooters, Action

If there is a good reason for it sure. (such as servers just honestly messing up. Like framedrops from 60 to 6 or something like that) But never in NPC interactions, only multiplayers

No, it's all my fault, that thing follows my orders so that controller cannot be blamed.

No they have not, but how can they affect me in that way I wonder?

No... Same answer as above.

Hah, I still have to encounter my very first fight and I am 21.
I'm better at talking myself out of situations :3

HueMann

Dec 9, 2010
1. Age: 20
3. How often do you play videogames? Almost every day for ~1 hour
4. What genres? adventure, FPS, RTS, casual, puzzle, racing
5. Have games ever made you angry when playing them? (ex. Rage quit, swearing) yes
6. Have games ever made you physically violent when playing them? (ex. harming the controller) no
7. Have games ever made you angry when not playing them? (ex. thinking about them affected your actions) no
8. Have games ever made you physically violent when not playing them? (ex. thinking of them affected your actions) no
9. How often do you engage in violent behavior? Swearing, i'm usually not violent at all. if something makes me really angry, I'll punch the air; but that's pretty much it.

Mellomi

Apr 26, 2010
1. 18
2. Female
3. Whenever I have the time and inclination. Average of a couple hours a day.
4. Survival horror, puzzles, action, whatever else I happen to be interested in.
5. Some are frustratingly hard, but I don't get actually angry. There is some swearing when I get repeatedly killed.
6. I am SO VIOLENT. ALL THE TIME. Except not.
7. Unless thinking about a particularly frustrating part, nope.
8. Pff no.
9. I'll be honest: I'm likely to follow up on my threats of "do that again and I'll punch you." Although that's just me, and I don't hit very hard. Aside from that, I don't get in physical fights.