Survey: Videogames and Violence (for a class)

debramster123

Sep 12, 2010
1. almost 15
2. male
3. 2 hrs a day ( when school ) /// weekends could be 11 hrs a day
4. action, stratigy sometimes those game with rank up systems and perks and whatnot
5. CALL OF DUTY RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!!!!!!!!
6. 2 mouses have broke, and my dad could stop me before i destroyed my keyboard
7. no
8. no
9. only when im tired

MassiveGeek

Jan 11, 2009
1. Age:
2. Gender:
Female
3. How often do you play videogames?
Almost every single day, usually for at the very least two hours.
4. What genres?
RPG, FPSs, life simulators(the Sims 3), Japanese games(Katamari Damacy) and puzzle games if they count.
5. Have games ever made you angry when playing them? (ex. Rage quit, swearing)
Swearing, yes, but it's certainly not exclusive to gaming.
6. Have games ever made you physically violent when playing them? (ex. harming the controller)
No.
7. Have games ever made you angry when not playing them? (ex. thinking about them affected your actions)
No.
8. Have games ever made you physically violent when not playing them? (ex. thinking of them affected your actions)
No.
9. How often do you engage in violent behavior?
Play fights with the only guy in my class, and punching the crap out of the boxing bag when exercising, but otherwise almost never.

asgardmothership

Jan 17, 2010
1. Age: 21
2. Gender: Male
3. How often do you play videogames? 4-5 hours a week
4. What genres? Shooters, Action/adventure, RPG
5. Have games ever made you angry when playing them? (ex. Rage quit, swearing): Contextual Swearing - oh shit I missed, where did that bastard come from? Oh that fuck! etc
6. Have games ever made you physically violent when playing them? No.
7. Have games ever made you angry when not playing them? No.
8. Have games ever made you physically violent when not playing them? No.
9. How often do you engage in violent behavior? Never.

Thankyou, come again!

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
1. Age: 20
3. How often do you play videogames? 10 hours a week, give or take
4. What genres? RPG, FPS, RTS
5. Have games ever made you angry when playing them? (ex. Rage quit, swearing) Yes
6. Have games ever made you physically violent when playing them? (ex. harming the controller) No
7. Have games ever made you angry when not playing them? (ex. thinking about them affected your actions) No
8. Have games ever made you physically violent when not playing them? (ex. thinking of them affected your actions) No
9. How often do you engage in violent behavior? Once every few weeks

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
1. Age: 18

3. How often do you play videogames? - Several hours a week, quadruple that if it is a week I get a new game.

4. What genres? - FPS, TPS, RPG, Action Adventure, Racing, and sometimes I enjoy sidescrollers, horror, and beat-em up games. The only genres I almost never enjoy are simulators and puzzle games.

5. Have games ever made you angry when playing them? (ex. Rage quit, swearing) Yes, but 99% of the time it is due to the other players IN the game, not the game itself. The other 1% would be when a game is just too difficult. (No Fighting in the War Room on CoD4...yeah)

6. Have games ever made you physically violent when playing them? (ex. harming the controller) No, but sometimes I feel like I want to.

7. Have games ever made you angry when not playing them? (ex. thinking about them affected your actions) No. I never get angry just thinking about games.

8. Have games ever made you physically violent when not playing them? (ex. thinking of them affected your actions) - No. The only time games affect my behavior when I think about them is when I am thinking about a game that is coming out soon and it makes me excited. They have never made me physically violent.

9. How often do you engage in violent behavior? - Never. I have never been in a fight.

so, i am one of the people who is not violent in the slightest bit, although i have been playing violent games for over half of my life.

ThePirateMan

Jul 15, 2009
1. Age: 15
3. The majority of my free time, maybe 2-4 hours on work days and 4-10 on weekend days.
4. Pretty much everything except for japanese games and the latest Call of Duties
But I mostly play Grand Strategy, RPG, Action, classic RTS and Sandbox games nowadays.
5. It happens very rarely. The furthest that I've ever gone was (not all that hard, but still) smashing my head into the desc and cursing for dying at a part of a singleplayer game over and over and over AND OVER again. Nothing like that had happened before or has happened since.
6. Nope.
7. Nope.
8. Nope.
9. Never really do and I havn't since I was an elementary school kid. But I didn't even play all that many videogames back then.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
1. 20
2. Female
3. Frequently. Can be up to more than 30 hrs a week in the holidays.
4. RPG, FPS, Action Adventure mostly.
5. Probably. Sincerely can't remember, though.
6. No, I've never damaged anything while playing a game.
7. No.
8. No.
9. I never have. I have never gotten into a fight, harmed property, or even gotten really angry in my life.

Vidiot

May 23, 2008
2.Male
3.2-4 hours per day
4.Most genres. Pretty much everything except sports games
5.More often than I'd like to admit, a game has put me on a tirade of profane ranting.
6.Never
7.Never
8.Never
9.Extremely Rarely (self-defense only)

hope you get enough results to prove your point

-Peace

Verp

Jul 1, 2009
1. Age:

2. Gender:

Neutral

Irregularly, but usually more than three times a week.

4. What genres?

Adventure, action, FPS, and platformer games usually.

Sometimes. I get very frustrated when I find gameplay mechanics unfair or poorly designed. Losing to people rarely affects me.

6. Have games ever made you physically violent when playing them? (ex. harming the controller)

I remember this one time when I bit a controller. Nothing else pops into mind.

7. Have games ever made you angry when not playing them? (ex. thinking about them affected your actions)

No.

8. Have games ever made you physically violent when not playing them? (ex. thinking of them affected your actions)

No.

Never.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
1. Age: 18
3. How often do you play videogames? Every day for at least 5 hours
4. What genres? RPG/MMO/JRPG/Flash/Shooter/stratgey...most anything except puzzle..
5. Have games ever made you angry when playing them? (ex. Rage quit, swearing) .....losing 100 times to something i think deserves a GRRR F YOU *insert name of npc*
lol not really ive gotten mad but not to the breaking point lol
....lets just say i got Cata at midnight..and instead of going home right away after work i went out for a few hours...so no they dont effect my actions much
^ again..no
I used to wrestle....that was fun, but no im a pretty non violent person. Altho I have played video games when i was mad for other reasons and calmed down from them.

Thank you very much!
NO THANK YOU GOOD SIR

Nukeforyou

Mar 26, 2010
1. Age:
2. Gender:
Male
Daily
4. What genres?
All?
yes
yes
no
no
only when a game really, really annoys me (see #6)

Fuselage

Nov 18, 2009
1. Age: 14
3. How often do you play videogames? Daily
4. What genres? Puzzle, FPS, RPG, JRPG, Action, Brawlers, Action-Adventure ETC. The whole lot
5. Have games ever made you angry when playing them? (ex. Rage quit, swearing) Swearing
6. Have games ever made you physically violent when playing them? (ex. harming the controller) Once..eheehe I "accidentally" threw a controller at my friend for cheating in SS:B
7. Have games ever made you angry when not playing them? (ex. thinking about them affected your actions) Nada
8. Have games ever made you physically violent when not playing them? (ex. thinking of them affected your actions) Nada
9. How often do you engage in violent behavior? Not much, Only when provoked

scyrin

Mar 31, 2010
1. 19
2. Male
3. between 10-25 hours a week
4. FPS, RPG, MMO, Puzzle, fighter, racing
5. Rarely
6. nope
7. nope
8. nope
9. a lot, but its because i take a martial arts class

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
1. Age:

2. Gender:
Male

Every day for a couple hours, at least!

4. What genres?
RPG, Action, Adventure... Really, everything but racing games and those odd Japanese dating sims and visual novels. As long as it's good.

Well, yes. Of course. I passively swear at things that tick me off. I hate the term "rage quit". Some people just have the common sense to know when their anger is impairing their abilities.

I have squeezed the controller a bit, but I've never broken anything in anger at a video game.

Heh, no. Why would they?
Well, I have been jokingly angry about games when I'm not playing, but I'm always just kidding.

Hell no.

Rarely, and it's almost never malicious.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
1. Age:

18 as of Sunday

2. Gender:

Male

Usually every other day.

4. What genres?

FPS, RPG, Beat 'em ups, Action.

Not to the extent that I've got properly angry. I've said "Ah the prick" once or twice though if I'm playing with a friend... Usually referring to said friend in a jokey fashion.

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

9. How often do you engage in violent behaviour?

I try to be a pacifist.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
1. 15.
2. Male.
3. An hour a day during the week, two a day on weekends.
4. First and third person shooters, general action games and RPGs mostly, with the occasional other genre.
5. Yes, but I swear at everything. If I get a decimal in my math homework I swear, because I hate decimals, unless the make even fractions (0.25, etc). I've rage quit, but usually it's more because of lag or the other team camping than pure rage.
6. I broke a controller once, but to be fair I was standing and just dropped it out of surprise.
7. No, not really.
8. No.
9. Very little. I've learned the hard way that my little pansy punches don't help in a fight.

ninjapenguin981

Jul 10, 2009
1. Age: 17
3. How often do you play videogames? Everyday
4. What genres? Most, but especially FPS and RPG.
5. Have games ever made you angry when playing them? (ex. Rage quit, swearing) Yes
6. Have games ever made you physically violent when playing them? (ex. harming the controller) No
7. Have games ever made you angry when not playing them? (ex. thinking about them affected your actions) No
8. Have games ever made you physically violent when not playing them? (ex. thinking of them affected your actions) No
9. How often do you engage in violent behavior? Never, I'm a pacifist.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Im sorry to throw a question in the middle of your survey, but how come some of you have never been in a fight? You'd think someone gets angry at you in some point of your life and would attack you.

TheLaofKazi

Mar 20, 2010
1. 18
2. Male
3. 0-5 hours a week. Not nearly as much as I used to.
4. Shooter, RPG, JRPG, adventure, survival, sandbox (stuff like Minecraft, Gary's Mod, ect.), fantasy, science fiction, platform, MMORPG, and many others.
5. Yes.
6. No.
7. No, but I can't know for sure. It's not like when I get angry, I can easily think "Oh, it's because I played GTA last saturday."
8. No. I honestly can't recall the last time I've been physically violent.
9. Almost never.