Survival Horror on a Cruise Ship

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Im not quite understanding the perspective

so you are guiding yourslelf in third person from the fixed veiw of the security cameras?

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
I had a similar idea, set in the near future where the blind are linked to MK.II type machines by a chip and they control it with their thoughts. The MK.II have taken over the role of guide-dogs.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Colour me interested, and I don't even like survival horror games!

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
If all this data from cameras can be passed wirelessly then why doesn't the protagonist detach one from the wall, attach a powersupply, (there must be some on the ship somewhere to power a camera) and then just wear it on their head? I know it would take a few minutes to get used to your new height, but the brain will adjust, and it will be a lot more convenient...!? And you will still have the ability to see the other cameras...! (Apart from that one room you stole yours from of course...!)

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
I seem to recall there being a PS2 game that basically did the same as The Experiment, with one exception: you controlled the woman's actions entirely through voice command via a microphone bundled with the game. You vocally commanded her to go through rooms, pick up objects, and fire on enemies.

As you can probably guess, the game controlled like ass and was basically unplayable. The game could never accurately register your voice commands, and would either do nothing or do something contrary to what you wanted.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Alright, I'm gonna have to pause for breath for this next bit.

You mean to design a game that is essentially Resident Evil as told by System Shock 2, through the mechanics of Siren, in the setting of Echo Night, with the combat of Clock Tower/Silent Hill, introducing power rerouting puzzles a la Dead Space, ending in the twist from the middle of Silent Hill 3?

lacktheknack said:
Oh, you mean this one?

-snip-
Or that, right.

And if I seem to remember correctly, aside from Echo Night didn't Cold Fear also take place on a ship?

ROBOcity123

Mar 7, 2010
It doesn't really work out because most people don't go on cruise ships. Me personally, would not be scared of this as I would be as "Murderor in an underground car park simulation game". You see the plot is that when you go down into an underground car park you find out that you are being followed by a serial killer (you hear over a loud speaker in the mall that he is one and is really evil!). No one can stop him because he is actually a ghost. Anyway, after you run around trying to avoid being killed you find out that you are also a ghost and that the serial killer is actually a car!

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
This sounds a lot like the film Ghost Ship, except instead of ghosties and demons, it's computer virus' and stuff.

A luxury ship, with its once opulent trappings brought to ruin and decay by its residents giving into their base instincts
Yup, Ghost Ship.

Mosstromo

Jul 5, 2008
The mechanics sound very interesting. What is regarded as maybe a "pain" to play would not be more than challenging controls (as opposed to just "complicated") and it would add nicely to the desperation that survival horror should produce (like when you can't run fast enough in a nightmare).
Overall it seems that good planning and intelligent decisions will be ever present and imperative for the escape. I am betting that once we clear a stage using a series of well thought manoeuvres we will squeal with delight at our astuteness.
There was an Adventure game that relied on the out of body experience but was not presented very successfully. A girl gets marooned on an island and someone guides her to safety using fixed surveillance cameras, radio and the like, but as I said it did not quite make it. But the idea was sound.
I hope that this game of yours, the "Cyberpunk horror cruiser of the future", can be produced.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I'm not a fan of the genre, but what I really like is the fact that you might have been murdering survivors this entire time, and the idea of how that plays out on the character's psyche intrigues me.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
That's actually an interesting idea. There was a game similar to it from back in the early PC days. I can't think of the name but you're onboard some space station and one the crewmates (of course the crazy one) hands you some drugs saying that you've been doped up this whole time and that the "monsters" outside your station aren't monsters. At the very end of the game your oxygen tank is empty and you're outside the space station so you rip off your mask.. to discover you're breathing oxygen and the monsters are human or human-like. (so not exactly with the cameras but there was some trickery as to your perspective)

dbmountain

Feb 24, 2010
My idea to bypass the whole 1st person controls in 3rd person crisis:

Instead of the primary camera angle coming from a security camera, the protagonist has a camera that he can hook up to his ocular nerve or whatever. With this, it would essentially be a 1st person game but with a narrower field of vision. As an alternative mode, the protagonist could turn off the neural implant and rely solely on his other senses. His other senses would be heightened while his vision is gone.

It would be cool to be able to level up these two separate perspectives. For example, if you focus more on the handheld camera you could gain the ability to attach the camera to guns (or hack into optics attachment on guns) and gain skills like learning how to hack into the security camera system and use them to see (a la Croshaw's vision). Or, if you use the heightened senses mode more you could gain more benefits from your other senses, like being able to visualize scents (Twilight Princess) or echolocation from hearing.

LG Jargon

Feb 9, 2012
Yahtzee, this game idea sounds absolutely amazing. Even if I couldn't play it, I definitely want other people to play it, just for the sake of the experience. Bravo, my good man.

P.S. The reason why I said "if I couldn't play it" is because I don't have either a 360 nor a PS3 (I know, right?!). However, I do have Steam, so if Yahtzee made it available on that platform, then I'd happily buy it!

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
This is eerily similar to a cyberpunk-horror game I had recently, it also used the idea of "modded neural interface to replace eyesight", except its system was based off using geo-tagged images from the net to construct a 3d space, with other features like people's appearance being a collage of images from whatever online accounts they have and most of the horror elements coming from the manifestation of strange creatures that seem to exist partly in reality and the net.

There's more to it, but I don't want to babble on.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Farther than stars said:
This is a far cry from the Yahtzee who made the "No More Heroes" review in which he said and I quote:

Yahtzee said:
"...any game designer who sacrifices fun to make an artistic statement is obviously stuck so far up his own ass that he's in danger of choking on his own head."
At least he acknowledged that those controls that he described would be about as smooth as gravel, but that last paragraph did have a bit too much of a god complex associated with it to be to my liking.
I agree.

Seeming cool on paper and playing well are too different things--the latter of which being an order of magnitude more important. I believe he also once commented on developers acknowledging game design problems inside their own game with humor and the frustrating stupidity of that.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
That sounds like an awesome idea, I'd definatly give it a try at the very least.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
That... just... I am slavering. SLAVERING.

Imagine how you'd feel upon realising that everything you've seen and guided your character through could be false. That you, as a person, have actually been through all those things, blind as a bat, trusting to digital senses you now have reason to doubt.

It's chilling. I'm not 100% on your suggested control scheme, but I think it might be necessary to maintain the impression that it's actually you in there, and that you're not just watching someone through a screen.

How Yahtzee is able to open his mouth without someone trying to jam fistfuls of dollar bills down his throat to fund his ideas is beyond me.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I'm a bit puzzled at everyone saying the controls would be too awkward, surely it would just be like the first resident evil games which while certainly not perfect were hardly unplayable. A bit of tuning up from that and it would be fine.

I find cruise ships creepy as hell too. I think it's the size of them. Btw does anyone remember a light gun resident evil game from ages ago, set on a ship, or am I just imagining things?

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
xXxJessicaxXx said:
I'm a bit puzzled at everyone saying the controls would be too awkward, surely it would just be like the first resident evil games which while certainly not perfect were hardly unplayable. A bit of tuning up from that and it would be fine.

I find cruise ships creepy as hell too. I think it's the size of them. Btw does anyone remember a light gun resident evil game from ages ago, set on a ship, or am I just imagining things?
I was about to say the same thing. Movement in the older resident evil games was easy to adjust to. The aiming was much more of a hinderance since you couldn't go for headshots unless you had a shotgun and waiting to aim UP at the last second before a zombie attacked you.

What a lot of people aren't getting is that these relatively awkward controls are ON PURPOSE in this theoretical game. The concept of being blind and watching yourself, but having to move and listen locally is utterly terrifying. I would love the shit out of it.