Survival Horror on a Cruise Ship

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
Actually sounds like a pretty good idea. Maybe later in the game when you find out about the virus, it´ll start messing with your ability to transfer/remove power to/from areas(because that´s how viruses work in the future) making you even more exposed and vunerable? Or is that to much

Regardless, sounds like a game I´d buy.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
I'd buy that game. It sounds really cool. However, I'm not sure that Yahtzee will get around to making such a masterpiece. Sad day.

Slothboy

Mar 26, 2008
I would absolutely play this game. I'm not just blowing smoke up the ass of an internet celebrity here, I honestly think this is a solid idea. The forced third person perspective on the character creates a sense of vulnerability, but also power. You could look ahead to any room on the ship, sure. But while you are doing so any number of things could creep up on you while you aren't "looking". It's a great balance of risk and reward. Going to use the power grid to overload a circuit and fry a nasty in the next room? Great! But better do it fast because another one might just shank you while you aren't looking at the physical world. Yep. Let me know when it goes gold.

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
Actually RE:Rev takes place in the near past. Since they're trying to go for some dopey continuity, it takes place before RE5, in 2005. Of course, this being the RE universe with its cute little hand-held scanner tricorder thingies, it may as well be the near future in an alternate history or something.

Also, bringing up the inherent creepiness of abandoned cruise ships made me think of 999: Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors, a DS game which is not ostensibly horror, but admittedly does have a fair amount of suspense, some parts of which are attributed to the fact that you're on an abandoned cruise liner. It also has really good writing and is pretty much a visual novel, so take that as you will.

EDIT: Also, the whole "are you really seeing this through your cybernetics" is addressed in many cyberpunk settings. Ghost in the Shell comes to mind at the foremost.

edgecult

May 4, 2011
The game seems awesome and I like the idea of that out of body fixed camera deal. Reminds me of that old PS2 game "Lifeline" (minus the whole voice command to do everything gimmick the game ran on.) The twist (though now ruined) is really really well thought out. especially if you can mesh in foreshadowing and those kind of odd thoughts into the apocalyptic logs you find lieing about from "the last survivors" on the ship. Seriously. someone who can make games get yahtzee on the phone and start working on production now. I'de give it my money.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Why isn't this an actual game? I'd buy it and play the hell out of it, and I really mean that. It's such a shame that horror games don't explore more into the whole aspect of perception anymore, but rather use a lot of the cheap scares.

Maximinn

Jun 8, 2010
You know, if I was a millionaire, I'd set up a studio who's sole purpose was to read Extra Punctuation and create the games Yahtzee describes there. I don't think I've ever read one of these ideas that I didn't want to play.

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
Make it and take my money!!

Seriously though, it does sound pretty interesting and sounds alot better than most horror games these days.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Dammit, Yahtzee, you can't keep throwing out awesome ideas and then not use them! Quit cock-teasing us and just start an indie studio already!

Boter

Mar 2, 2009
I'd play it. Or at least download the demo to see if I could manage the controls first. As long as it doesn't do a Brutal legend and have the demo be entirely different gameplay from the majority of the game, e.g. just be of the first-person section.

Morty815

Mar 10, 2010
It's kind of a shame you told us your idea, I would have loved to have played a game like that, in the right hands it could have really been something.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Interesting concept. I'd actually play that game, and I'm not really big on the survival horror genre. Also, the control-from-a-fixed-perspective mechanic wouldn't be an issue for me, as the keyboard controls from Escape From Monkey Island were identical.

Yes, I played Escape From Monkey Island. And I liked it. Because Curse of Monkey Island introduced me to the series.

Kataskopo

Dec 18, 2009
What if, at the end, you realize you were the hacker who got the virus in? D:

If managed right (meaning, NOT like M. Night, Shamalasomething), it could be a pretty good game.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
BloodWriter said:
You should look into this whole Kickstarter phenomenon.

Collect moola, be creative director, hire goons to code your game, profit.
<youtube=JQCP85FngzE>

Where do i sign up?

This game sounds pretty damn awesome.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Morty815 said:
It's kind of a shame you told us your idea, I would have loved to have played a game like that, in the right hands it could have really been something.
This is just what he wants you to think. In reality, you were the one who brought the virus on board. It made you go off course. It filtered out all the people who greeted you on the cruise ship. And then it makes you inject itself into the computer.

Mechorpheus

Nov 27, 2009
There's a game I played recently called eXperience112 (called The Experiment in North America, New Zealand and Australia apparently), which is similar to Yahtzee's idea. You play an 'anonymous' bloke using the main computer on a stricken ocean liner to help out a surviving scientist, and you have to use the security cameras and other systems to guide her about. So you switch lights on/off, open/close doors, access files with passwords she finds, that kind of thing, and you can do cool 'Picture-in-Picture' stuff with the cameras too, to cover all the bases.

It sounded like a great concept, however it's totally ruined by her having the most AWFUL AI ever, being totally unable to follow your simple commands. You're reduced to guiding her around by flashing lights, and when enemies get involved it quickly becomes too much of a chore to make her do what you want, quickly. Also god forbid she misses a critical plot item, or you'll spend a good hour going around in circles before checking the same room again. Such a shame.