Surviving Your First Hunt in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Kaimax said:
About the article... "2nd playtrough"? It's like he's talking that monster hunter series has an ending.. lol
I probably could have been more clear there! I have monster hunter ADD, and so I usually end up switching weapons after a while, or starting an entirely new character to focus on X instead of on Y.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
synobal said:
The monster hunter franchise is something I've always been interested in. I how ever lack the needed hardware to play it. So it will always be just that, can anyone recommend any similar games on the PC?
Dark Souls. I thought this was common knowledge XD.

charge52

Apr 29, 2012
Manji187 said:
synobal said:
The monster hunter franchise is something I've always been interested in. I however lack the needed hardware to play it. So it will always be just that, can anyone recommend any similar games on the PC?
Dark Souls. I thought this was common knowledge XD.
Oh god no, Dark Souls and Monster Hunter are about as similar as God of War and Metal Gear Rising.

They both are in the same genre and get good reviews, but they are about as far apart from each other as you can get.

Different combat styles (just compare two handed sword fighting between the two), different tone (Dark Souls is grimmish, while MH3U is more "real" tone where nothing is glorified or criminalized, this is just what happens), Monster Hunters emphasis on crafting of course is entirely different to DS's linear upgrade system.
synobal said:
The monster hunter franchise is something I've always been interested in. I however lack the needed hardware to play it. So it will always be just that, can anyone recommend any similar games on the PC?
There are a few that are similar, but if you are willing to put up with some japanese you can use a workaround to play Monster Hunter Frontier for the pc. You need to do some work, but it's possible, though definitely look up gameplay tutorials to explain some of the basics of the game.

Similar games would probably be RaiderZ, everything I've seen makes it look like an attempt at being a MH clone without being so obvious it gets shut down.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
I don't understand why Monster Hunter isn't insanely in demand in the West.

It has the same kind of gameplay and aesthetic that most Westerners say they crave. It is very similar to Dark Souls. And relies on difficult battles and open world exploration.

The kind of open world exploration that a lot of Westerners praise Western RPGs for.

Alex Baas

Dec 2, 2011
RaikuFA said:
Theres two other rules for this game:

1. Never play online except with friends. This game multiplayer makes CoD on XBL look like a presidential debate.

2. Never let others know you're new to this franchise. This means no asking for help on a hunt, no asking which monster drops what.

Hell hath no fury like a Monster Hunter fan.
What? Never happened. Ever. It Monster Hunter Tri had a very helpful community full of great people. Can't quite speak for MH3U, but so long as you help yourself I am fine with you.

Sometimes asking for help is helping yourself btw

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Alex Baas said:
RaikuFA said:
Theres two other rules for this game:

1. Never play online except with friends. This game multiplayer makes CoD on XBL look like a presidential debate.

2. Never let others know you're new to this franchise. This means no asking for help on a hunt, no asking which monster drops what.

Hell hath no fury like a Monster Hunter fan.
What? Never happened. Ever. It Monster Hunter Tri had a very helpful community full of great people. Can't quite speak for MH3U, but so long as you help yourself I am fine with you.

Sometimes asking for help is helping yourself btw
I dunno, I've tried asking for help in the past and all I got was some pretty nasty comments on how newcomers are supposed to do stuff by themselves. And people I did play with just either kicked me or disconnected right when we saw the hunt.

I fucking hate online play.