SWAT4 - The Last of its Kind

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
One of my favourite games ever. For some reason, it seems almost mocking me to give up and play something simple like Doom if I can't hack a serious person's shooter.

I hate the grenade fumbles and telling me to move, but otherwise the AI seems pretty good.

Is great to be able to give your squad a wide range of orders, to seperate them into halves, and have them work in formation as a team.

In Rainbow 6: Raven Shield, if you tell your squad "Open, grenade and clear", they walk up to the door in single file, the lead opens the door, puts the gun away, gets a grenade, tosses it in, gets the gun out again, walks into the room and the rest follow in single file.

In SWAT 4, the move up to the sides of the door, get ready, nod at each other to show readiness, one opens the door, another on the other side tosses a grenade in and the first one moves in while the second gets his gun back and follows. Those two move forwards a bit, then stop until the next two have entered the room before going forwards again. So much better.

So many times playing something else and wishing it was like SWAT4, that I had door wedges or an optiwand, or that my sqaud would work better.

StANDY1338

Sep 25, 2006
I thought it was brilliant although it could benefit from an update. Would be nice to see that guy pull up his gun rather than just oops bang.

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
SL33TBL1ND said:
Valanthe said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
I played this game once. Was the worst FPS I had ever played in my entire life.
You know, I would actually like to hear a defense of that position, what exactly made you hate the game so vehemently?

As a disclaimer, I'm not trying to bait you, I'm honestly interested to hear what you thought was wrong with it.
That's fair enough.

Perhaps the thing that got me the most, and I'm aware it's a fairly minor problem, was the movement speed. I felt like I was wearing boots made of lead.
That is because it was attempting to be somewhat realistic. You dont run through a building to clear it. You try to move fluidly.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
robert022614 said:
That is because it was attempting to be somewhat realistic. You dont run through a building to clear it. You try to move fluidly.
Though that's generally true, of course, I did end up wishing for a panicked run command, at times when I've being fired on but can't see the shooter, so I can duck behind something, or when someone's fumbled a grenade in front of me.

Oh, as an aside, do breaching charges actually do anything besides loudly open doors? Also, have they ever injured someone standing too close on the other side, never happened with me.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
After watching it, it looks like it would unbearable to play by yourself. Multiplayer centered games are fine. But when a game pretty much requires you to have friends to play with, it gets a mark down in my book.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
JoesshittyOs said:
After watching it, it looks like it would unbearable to play by yourself. Multiplayer centered games are fine. But when a game pretty much requires you to have friends to play with, it gets a mark down in my book.
it's not like that. you can play it in multiplayer, and it's even greater if you do. but you can play it on your own too. i beat it on the hardest difficulty in singleplayer and had a hell of a great time while doing it.
actually, i found the AI to be pretty impressive. of course, it has some glitches, like any AI. in any other game that wouldn't be noticable, but in this game, where one minor wrong step can cost you your virtual life and the mission, it's annoying. but it's not like your AI teammates are completely useless fucks. you have to get the hang of how to maneuver them, get a feel for what rooms they can and what rooms they can't clear on their own, and you'll be fine.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
robert022614 said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Valanthe said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
I played this game once. Was the worst FPS I had ever played in my entire life.
You know, I would actually like to hear a defense of that position, what exactly made you hate the game so vehemently?

As a disclaimer, I'm not trying to bait you, I'm honestly interested to hear what you thought was wrong with it.
That's fair enough.

Perhaps the thing that got me the most, and I'm aware it's a fairly minor problem, was the movement speed. I felt like I was wearing boots made of lead.
And? It doesn't matter what it was trying to do if it failed to entertain me in the slightest.