Sweden: The Thread

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
So I was in math class today, thinking about anything other than math as usual, and I ended up thinking about Sweden. I think it started with LEGOS. Now, Sweden is a country I respect very much, and I think it is the country that has earned my respect the hardest, as in none of it came from predetermined opinions. Normally I wouldn't like a country like Sweden; it's a bit too Aryan for my tastes. You know what I mean. But I've only heard good things about Sweden. No history of anti-Semitism, or any widespread racism as far as I know. Unlike those damn Swiss, which for some reason are always mixed up with them. Yes, I'm one of the people who mixes up Sweden and Switzerland occasionally, but only in name, not identity, and I'm quick to realize my mistake.

But the main source of my respect for Sweden is its products. In math, I thought up what I call the Triumvirate of Swedish Awesomeness: LEGOS (innacuracy), DICE (the game developers), and Swedish meatballs. I like Swedish meatballs very much.

So I hope it's okay to make a thread like this, but I wanted to see some public opinions/fact gathering on Sweden. So, discuss.

PS: What's up with IKEA? It gets badmouthed a lot (GTA4's spoof on it was hilarious) but in reality I don't know whether to praise or criticize Sweden for it.

blubbyblubbyblub

Feb 19, 2008
Sweden is Awesome! (I'm Swedish) Ikea is nice i guess and dice are awesome but don't forget Digital Illusions the makers of Battlefiel. Though i can no take credit for Lego. Those are Danish ;(

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
I might be going to sweden later in life.

I want to work at DICE. The only EA company I want to work t mind you.

That being said they have kick ass internet.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Fuck, LEGOs are Danish aren't they? I even asked my friend to make sure. He lied to me. I suppose I'll edit that out.

berethond said:
ElephantGuts said:
it's a bit too Aryan for my tastes.
Please tell me you didn't mean that.
Aryan does not equal Nazis. Just...I'm not sure the real definition...just white? Calling someone Aryan is not calling them a Nazi though. And being in Scandinavia, Swedish people are (generally) certainly Aryan.

Combined

Sep 13, 2008
Oddly enough, out of all the Scandinavians, the only ones I dislike are Swedes.

Mostly because there is a long history between our nations and it isn't very good. Invasions and several wars. Lots of people left dead.
Then there is the whole "Pro-Environment" thing. Somehow that makes me dislike them slightly, because I feel bad in their presence.
And most of the Swedes I've met weren't friendly, or even nice.

Simski

Aug 17, 2008
Don't forget dynamite.

Swede here by the way...
Neo nazism isn't illegal here as it is considered an ethnic group.
To ban them completely would be to oppress an ethnic group.
However they are not allowed to do neo nazism signs and such in public, and criminal acts does ofcourse not go unnoticed.

Homophobia isn't extremely uncommon either, a guy in my school had to switch schools because he got bullied because of it.
I know several people who are against it, and I'm generally cautious myself to talk about my sexuality (although I'm not exactly gay, just not straight).

I live in a city with a population of about 14 000 people, I have never seen any hobos and I have yet to meet a drug user... although I'm told that there are indeed some drug users in the larger apartment area...

Alot of foreigners in the apartment area as well... not sure why.

blubbyblubbyblub

Feb 19, 2008
Combined said:
Oddly enough, out of all the Scandinavians, the only ones I dislike are Swedes.

Mostly because there is a long history between our nations and it isn't very good. Invasions and several wars. Lots of people left dead.
Then there is the whole "Pro-Environment" thing. Somehow that makes me dislike them slightly, because I feel bad in their presence.
And most of the Swedes I've met weren't friendly, or even nice.
Where are you from? And if you dislike the Pro-Enviroment movement that's you'r business (i don't like them myself.)

rottenbutter

Aug 5, 2008
OK, Sweden, lets see, um...

Ikea. Ikea is... fine. It has its own Jonathan Coulton song, so that's cool.
Uh... meatballs, the meatballs are good. And uh... oh, my grandmother is Swedish, but I hate her though. I mean really hate her... a lot.

Yeah, I don't have much to say about Sweden.

Simski

Aug 17, 2008
Yeah, I'm not that pro-environment either really...
Not anti-environment either, I'm just apathetic to the subject.

Heh... my friend had a bloody hippy as a school teacher... made them sell bananas down the street to support the environment... hehe.

Combined

Sep 13, 2008
yron33 said:
Combined said:
Oddly enough...Words and so on.
Where are you from? And if you dislike the Pro-Enviroment movement that's you'r business (i don't like them myself.)
Lithuania, little nation near the Baltic sea.

blubbyblubbyblub

Feb 19, 2008
Simski said:
Don't forget dynamite.

Swede here by the way...
However they are not allowed to do neo nazism signs and such in public, and criminal acts does ofcourse not go unnoticed.

Homophobia isn't extremely uncommon either, a guy in my school had to switch schools because he got bullied because of it.
I know several people who are against it, and I'm generally cautious myself to talk about my sexuality (although I'm not exactly gay, just not straight).

I live in a city with a population of about 14 000 people, I have never seen any hobos and I have yet to meet a drug user... although I'm told that there are indeed some in the larger apartment area...

T
Simski said:
Don't forget dynamite.

Swede here by the way...

I live in a city with a population of about 14 000 people, I have never seen any hobos and I have yet to meet a drug user... although I'm told that there are indeed some drug users in the larger apartment area...

I'm Swedish too :D Hej. Where do you live? I know there aren't a lot of hobos, but i've met alot of drug user (being one myself[Legalize it!]) so i kind wonder where you live. And the homophobia are mostly in the younger crowd as they're probably scared of being gay themseves or they are religious Islamists mostly.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
There are plenty of good looking women in Sweden, if you're into that sorta thing. We have good music here too. Here's the worst thing about Sweden:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FRA_law

Still, it's a great place to live.

blubbyblubbyblub

Feb 19, 2008
Combined said:
yron33 said:
Combined said:
Oddly enough...Words and so on.
Lithuania, little nation near the Baltic sea.
Yeah i know about that. You can't really blame ALL swedes for something a King (Gustav Vasa) did roughly 500 years ago can you?

Simski

Aug 17, 2008
yron33 said:
Simski said:
Don't forget dynamite.

Swede here by the way...

I live in a city with a population of about 14 000 people, I have never seen any hobos and I have yet to meet a drug user... although I'm told that there are indeed some in the larger apartment area...

T
Simski said:
Don't forget dynamite.

Swede here by the way...

I'm Swedish too :D Hej. Where do you live? I know there aren't a lot of hobos, but i've met alot of drug user (being one myself[Legalize it!]) so i kind wonder where you live. And the homophobia are mostly in the younger crowd as they're probably scared of being gay themseves or they are religious Islamists mostly.
Bohuslän, a little above Göteborg.
In "Lysekil".

Never seen any drug users... I'm terribly curious about it though and I probably would have tried something if I knew anyone.
However sadly I also have a bit of an anti-social tendency... not to good at getting out and meeting new people.