Swedish politican caught up in 'racist cake' row.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
This is just one of those stories that just made me double take at first. An art exhibition in Sweden had an exhibit of an 'African tribal woman' cake, with the artist putting their head at the top of the neck, screaming when people took a slice.

The culture minister cut a slice and is now being condemned by some people and being asked to resign, as she was committing a 'racially insensitive act'. The artist says that the cake was made to highlight female circumcision in Africa and that people misunderstood the message. Here's the link with a better description of the event and a video of the aforementioned cake. Chances are it will be one of the strangest things you'll have seen in a while...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/video--culture-minister-slices-into-?racist-cake?.html?nc

EDIT: Apparently the link has decided to stop working so I'll just post the article and video in a spoiler tag

Video of Swedish politician Lena Adelsohn Liljeroth cutting a cake designed to look like an African tribal woman has caused fury among some who accuse her of committing a racially insensitive act.

Video of the 'racist cake' displayed at Stockholm's Modern Art Museum before minister Lena Adelsohn Liljeroth took a slice out of it
The culture minister took a slice from the cake ? which doubled up as an art installation ? at the 75th anniversary of the Swedish Artists Federation at the Modern Museum in Stockholm.

African-American Makode Aj Linde ? who created the exhibit - had his head built into the cake in an attempt to call attention to the issue of female circumcision. He screamed ?no, no? when Ms Liljeroth sliced a piece off. The inside of the cake was made of sponge coloured blood-red.

The Association for African Swedes, which promotes the rights of people of African origin, slammed the exhibit as a "tasteless, racist spectacle" and demanded that Ms Liljeroth resign.

Ms Liljeroth described the incident as a "bizarre situation?. She said: ?I was invited to speak at World Art Day about the freedom of art and the right to be provocative, and then they asked me to cut up the cake.

?I had no chance to inspect the cake beforehand ... If some people have been offended, I apologise. Then it's up to the artist to explain what he meant with his work.?

Artist Linde said he wanted to highlight that female circumcision is still a big problem in some parts of Africa and claimed the message behind the cake had been misunderstood.

He told Al Jazeera the theme of female genital mutilation was ?quite natural, as you would have to cut it up?.

He added: "I think the people who have been upset misunderstood the intention or the agenda of me as an artist."

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
So she had a slice of cake... and because of that people are telling her to resign for being a racist... What?

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I'm not following the logic of this, having a slice of cake makes her racist?

News to me. If anything, that cake is more offensive than anything else.

ChaoticKraus

Jul 26, 2010
As a swedish citizen i'm certified to tell you that the people in the swedish artsy and cultural sectors are among the craziest fuckers to walk this godforsaken earth.

I can't really blame the minister for just going along with the whole spectacle. She was unprepared for the whole thing... and how the fuck are you supposed to react when faced with that abomination?

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
What...I don't...

Probably not meant to be racist, but whoever made that cake really didn't think that through. Not really the minister's fault, but that artist is pretty retarded.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
What is this? I don't even....

It just doesn't make any sense...why bake a cake if you're not going to eat it?