Swedish Teen Collapses After Too Much Lich King

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
Spinwhiz said:
Good thing the father knew he was playing for that long and didn't MAKE HIM GO OUTSIDE AND DO SOMETHING. Thank God for good parenting.
Well, at least now they've seen what it can do to people and are limiting his time on it. Part of parenting is learning from your mistakes, so I say half-decent parenting.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
we're allowed to make fun of this kid right? cause he didnt die?

just making sure

ianuam

Aug 28, 2008
I'm a hypocrite? What? Why?! I'm 20 years old i can play what i want for however long i want. However, surely a 15 year old isn't old enough to be up for 24hours at a time playing video games.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
I guess the kid just has weak stamina or something. Nothing wrong with either the kid, or his parents. Apparently the kid can't take the LAN party lifestyle as good as some others. He didn't die, he didn't even get injured. Lesson learned and move on, knowing your newly found limits. This is more a story of growing up, then it is of epic fail.
I've passed out from exhaustion on a 3 day LAN before in the past, now I know I won't make 3 days awake, so I won't even try. I got sick/weak a few times at longer LANs, so now I watch my nutrition better.

Live and learn.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
I actually got a pretty good laugh at this, but still, that story happened one too many times, so it's pretty old.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
"Reports that World of Warcraft players from France are laughing and pointing in the general direction of Sweden remain unconfirmed." --> ha ha ha

Not only are the parents at fault, but those kids are, as well. I mean, seriously, if you're gonna play a game for more than a few hours, make sure you're prepared and take breaks for food, toilet and sleep. You'd have to be pants-on-head retarded to ignore hunger pains while playing a game. And energy drinks are no substitute for substance.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Jbird said:
"Reports that World of Warcraft players from France are laughing and pointing in the general direction of Sweden remain unconfirmed." --> ha ha ha

Not only are the parents at fault, but those kids are, as well. I mean, seriously, if you're gonna play a game for more than a few hours, make sure you're prepared and take breaks for food, toilet and sleep. You'd have to be pants-on-head retarded to ignore hunger pains while playing a game. And energy drinks are no substitute for substance.
Agreed...and nice job on the well placed ZP quote.

ffxfriek

Apr 3, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
24 hours, try a 2 day guitar hero marathon!
sounds like fun. im up for it when i get XBL. and EVERYONE knows to go do something else even if its for 5 min....

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
Spinwhiz said:
Good thing the father knew he was playing for that long and didn't MAKE HIM GO OUTSIDE AND DO SOMETHING. Thank God for good parenting.
Come on, the game is addictive. I mean, what could they have possibly done?

Stop him? Pfft, they were busy.

senataur

Aug 21, 2008
There is a very simple way of removing this problem.

Game;s makers should build time caps into their games. Limit the amount of time a person can gain rewards while on-line. Let them play...just stop them from gaining XP/rep/gold etc after a given amount of time. That will put an end to it immediatley. Reduce the grindfests and make people play smart/hard instead of just long.

In the process they will also stop people lvling too quickly and clearning content too quickly.

The only hard part is finding the right limit to place the cap at.

vondy

Aug 24, 2007
I think so too, there was one who internally exploded because he refused to go to the toilet! and there was one who played so much that he kept himself up by drinking redbull, over dosed and got a heart attack from the sugar rushes.

Games are fun and should be played but it is the players responsibility to know when to stop!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
senataur said:

Game;s makers should build time caps into their games. Limit the amount of time a person can gain rewards while on-line. Let them play...just stop them from gaining XP/rep/gold etc after a given amount of time. That will put an end to it immediatley. Reduce the grindfests and make people play smart/hard instead of just long.

In the process they will also stop people lvling too quickly and clearning content too quickly.

The only hard part is finding the right limit to place the cap at.
They do that in China with some games.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Yes, and god knows the best way we could handle our problems is to emulate the Chinese.

I'm not even certain where the assumption that this is a "problem" comes from in the first place.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
GothmogII said:
Lightweight. Pfft. I mean 24hours? *rolls eyes*
Hahaha no kidding! 24 hours and he collapsed? I think he had been up longer, been on some kind of drugs, or was just a total goober and didn't eat/drink anything during that time.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
senataur said:

Game makers should build time caps into their games.
Wouldn't it suck to be playing for 12 hours (reaching a cap), then your friend logs in and wants to play with you for a few more hours? That would piss me off. If I'm paying for the game, I should be able to play it as much as I want.

Bluntknife

Sep 8, 2008
Lord Harrab said:
wasn't there a Korean guy who actuality died after doing something like this a while back? I think he played non-stop for a week.
I heard of a girl who died after playing too much and they had an ingame funeral...in a PvP zone!

watch this, it'll make you laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHJVolaC8pw

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Oh. Wow. I definetly thought this headline was Teen collapses after too much Licking. Anyways, I would say that the fact that he suffered what appeared to be seizures leads me to question whether this was a simple case of exhaustion, or a pre-existing condition. I will admit that I feel sorry for him, but if it is a simple case of exhaustion I would be forced to blame the kid for not knowing when to just let go of the keyboard and go to sleep.