Switching your game skills.

Dec 14, 2009
So, I've been playing the crap out of Marvel vs Capcom 3 lately, it's giving me all the fighting game loveliness I could need.

After seeing the news about the upcoming Street Fighter 4 updates I decided to pop the disk into my 360 and hop online to kick some arse.

I got five bells of shit kicked out of me, simply beacause I couldn't switch off the MvC3 part of my brain. I kept on trying to block in the air, do super jumps, use advanced guard (push away an opponent while blocking) and just trying to combo like I would in MvC3.

Poor Sakura, she never stood a chance.

This is the only time this has happened to me. I can easily switch from playing Halo, to Call of Duty.

So, fellow escapists, ever played a game, then switch over to another of the same genre, and get your arse handed to you? Even if you're generally good at that game?

For me, I think that, even though MvC and SF look very similiar, they play very differently.

goldendriger

Dec 21, 2010
Yep. I consider myself a Devil May Cry Vet, after beating all the games on the hardest difficulty, yet only dying a handful of times. I switch over to Bayonetta, i got at least silver on Nonstop Climax mode. Then i switch over to God Of War 3 on Normal mode and i get destroyed...doesnt really make sense.

rwege

Nov 12, 2009
On the opposite end of the spectrum, I've found some games can help each other in skill development.

The example I'll use is Starcraft2 and League of Legends. Both controls are similer, point and click to send unit in this direction, etc.

What I found after a few solid weeks of LoL, was that my APM in SC2 had risen from 100-125 average, my mousing was more accurate, my left hand speed had increased and was more accurate( evidenced by how much easier a time I had with the extractor cancel/rebuild on terren and Protoss), and for dropping skillshots (like fungal growth or psi storm)...well lets just say its rare I miss.

Dec 14, 2009
rwege said:
On the opposite end of the spectrum, I've found some games can help each other in skill development.

The example I'll use is Starcraft2 and League of Legends. Both controls are similer, point and click to send unit in this direction, etc.

What I found after a few solid weeks of LoL, was that my APM in SC2 had risen from 100-125 average, my mousing was more accurate, my left hand speed had increased and was more accurate( evidenced by how much easier a time I had with the extractor cancel/rebuild on terren and Protoss), and for dropping skillshots (like fungal growth or psi storm)...well lets just say its rare I miss.
The same thing sort of happens for me.

For example, it's a lot harder to snipe someone in Halo than it is in CoD, so after I've played a few rounds of Halo, my CoD sniping skills are much better.

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
Here is an embarrassing one:
I switched from playing legend of zelda to prince of persia on my gamecube and forgot I had to press A to make the prince jump because link jumps automatically if you run off the edge. I think I died about 15 times before someone asked why I wasn't jumping and made me test the controls ..... yeah

Dec 14, 2009
Camaranth said:
Here is an embarrassing one:
I switched from playing legend of zelda to prince of persia on my gamecube and forgot I had to press A to make the prince jump because link jumps automatically if you run off the edge. I think I died about 15 times before someone asked why I wasn't jumping and made me test the controls ..... yeah
I hate it when a game changes the 'tradition' of what specific buttons do, for instance, I was playing one game whereby you had to press the square button to interact with something, and the X button was to use items. Needless to say, I wasted a lot of potions while trying to talk to NPCs.

kibbitz2000

Sep 26, 2010
From playing 3rd person battlers like the Musou and Sengoku Basara series as well as the recent Ikkitousen sidescrolling brawler, I leapt at the chance to play the Streets of Rage Remake... only to curse and swear at myself firing specials in an attempt to chain more hits into the combo I just did. Needless to say, no extra hits were landed and all it did was to waste specials.

Also, in Streets of Rage Remake, IIRC, Attack during running triggers the f,f+Attack move. In Final Fight 3, it initiates the start of a dash-type combo. For some reason, brain kept thinking back to Final Fight 3 even though it was ages since I played that. This was more an annoyance rather than a problem thoguh.

Proven Paradox

Apr 10, 2011
Fighting games are going to be particularly vulnerable to this, because different games have different pacing and control styles. Hell, even the same fighting game switching between characters can cause that happen. I main Tager in Blazblue, but for giggles I was messing around with Arakune the other day. I found myself trying to keep up with whether or not my target was magnitized and making the motion for Atomic Collider every time they jumped. Hell, even something as basic as forgetting everyone else in the game can dodge and double jump.

If I were to try to move to MvC3 after that, I'm sure the results would be far more pronounced.

ronald1840

Oct 4, 2010
After beating Bioshock on an all day straight Survivor run the next day I tried to pop in Dead Space 2 on Zealot to see if I could manage....Yea well.....fk Nicole! :mad:

ZtH

Oct 12, 2010
When switching between Shadow of the Colossus and Prince of Persia the climbing and grabbing controls are subtley different (specifically the grab command being automatic in one and bound to the R1 in the other). This resulted in quite a few deaths as I was unable to switch between the two setups effectively.

LoFr3Eq

Oct 15, 2008
Being super good at Tekken does not transfer over to Soul Calibur when you aren't blocking with the X button.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I do fall victim to this occasionally.

Im trying to get over it by putting my crap incredble memory skills to use.

I think my limit so far is 5 control schemes not including flight sims.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
This is why I think fighting games are stupid. They only start being fun (and admittedly, a LOT of fun) once you've taken a long time to understand all their little nuances, the combo listings of a single character, WHEN to use those combos, practiced all that knowledge, etc. etc.

Mainly, it's just that to a simpler player like me it seems like an amazingly large network of decisions in a little duelspace.