Sword Art Online... What sorcery is this?

MoeMints

Apr 30, 2013
VanQ said:
Log Horizon blew my mind. I didn't think it was possible to make a good anything about an MMO...and then it happened.
Oh sweet lord. Log Horizon is just plain awful. It's watchable but absolutely boring as hell when all the characters are level cap to start with, smash a raid boss with a group of 3 and when the MC wins every fight because "I'm so smart" and "muh thorns."
I honestly much prefer that since its at least probable.
Dr. Cakey said:
elfen lied wuz 2deep4me if you know what I mean
Incidentally, does anybody know how Elfen Lied got so popular? MAL lists it as the sixth most-watched series on the entire site. It has neither mass appeal nor was it ever aired on TV (duh), so how the hell did it get to people's attention?
2002-2005 was actually a very high point in Japanese animation. Free episodes, lots of promotions, clubs that were very public and social, lots of stores supporting it.
In fact, Japanese cartoons are an industry where piracy, false entitlement to four times less Japanese dvd prices, and faulty community bias IS a problem.

So Elfin Lied became one of those highly promoted and word of mouth discussed shows much like Azumanga Daioh and post-G4TV run Cromartie High. Along with Dokuro-chan, it was hyped up as OH MY GOSH, SO VIOLENT, AND CRAZY SHOW. Since we were all dumb and sheep-like, we watched it.

Honestly, its an interesting premise, but a lot of it comes off as fetishes passed off as mature and deep.
Why is there so much loli abuse that ends up completely fine to them? I mean, Nana is a psychic quad amputee and its taken in a few parts as "WHOOPS, MY FAKE LIMBS FELL OFF AGAIN (canned laughter)".

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
yea no. I watched the first season because it was somewhat entertaining and had good production value, plus it had a cool concept. But I found myself literally skipping parts in which Kirito and Asuna were on screen together. It was the most lazy, half-assed relationship I've seen written into an anime. The show would have been better without that. And wtf is with the second arc. I think I ended up skipping at least a quarter of it because of the shitty romance they just HAD to write in. The series could have been so much better if that was just thrown out entirely, or done properly.

Attack on Titan: great example of shit pacing. Again, another good concept with great production value that was pulled down by its writing.

Kill la kill: I love this show, but that's probably because I recognize all the tropes it's making fun of. If I had no clue about anime, this show would be crappy.

Now with people's reference to Log Horizon. I think it gets the MMO feel down way better than SAO. The characters arent broody teenagers, there is no crappy romance forced into it, THE CHARACTERS RESPAWN WHEN THEY DIE. It's is infintely more enjoyable to watch. I find myself wanting to learn more about all the characters and what they do, whereas in SAO I just skipped to fight scenes to watch the pretty animation.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Blitsie said:
It was an alright series, it was as darned cliche as an anime can be but they handled it well enough to make things overall enjoyable. Only talking about the first season of course.

I see you clearly didn't start with the second season yet, quite curious to see what your opinion will be on the show after you're done with it. Trust me, its bad, so, so bad.

The whole having his sister fall in love with him thing was just...no. They already pushed it by having him basically get an AI that looks like a little girl to lovingly call him "papa" but doing the whole sister romantic love thing as well? Hot damn did it make the series hard to stomach at times with the sister being super awkward around him while the AI scolded him for cheating or whatever.

It should've ended at Sword Art Online if you ask me, heck it actually did end well but noooooo, that need for some extra monies just couldn't be left unsatisfied so now its basically "Go to this MMO because reasons!" with every arc by the looks of it. Meh.
That reminds me of a manga I enjoyed reading for a while called GA-REI, it was pretty good, had good characters, and one of the neat things about it is for the vast majority of the time the main characters were so much weaker than their main villains, they couldn't even try to take them on or they'd be killed in about 10 seconds, they would have to undermine them in some way, maybe just end up hiding until they're gone, and then it had a solid ending.
Then it kept going, and they fucked it up, badly, any author that feels the need to give characters amnesia so that they can redo old plotpoints needs to reconsider what they're doing and why they are doing it. So then it ended again with a really shitty ending.
But then they started it up again, and decided to fuck it up some more, and that's where I stopped.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Magefeanor said:
Dr. Cakey said:
Incidentally, does anybody know how Elfen Lied got so popular? MAL lists it as the sixth most-watched series on the entire site. It has neither mass appeal nor was it ever aired on TV (duh), so how the hell did it get to people's attention?
Probably people like me who found the manga awesome and ended up massively disappointed by the anime.
Funnily enough I feel the same way about Attack on the Titans.

OT: SAO was meh, as a mmo world anime it didn't really feel like they were playing a mmo. Felt like a generic fantasy anime with the same old cliched cast.
I find the manga interesting if only because it seemed like the author wrote 5 different endings, couldn't decide which ones to use, and so he threw them all together and just hoped it would make sense in the end.

Seriously though, what the hell is up with Elfin Lied's final couple chapters?

Captcha: "total shamble" I agree captcha.

Coakle

Nov 21, 2013
The boss fights in SAO are pretty incredible. I thought the Christmas episode was the high point for the season. It did a great job blending all the strengths the show had. The MMO vibe, utilizing the fact that Kirito is OP to create drama. It also hammered in that it was arbitrary rules which made the universe cruel. The show had the right amount of depth.

My only nitpicks would be the harem-yness. I thought Asuna was a fine heroine, without her certain aspects of the story, like giving up the game, couldn't have been covered. Adding a bunch of 2nd stringers didn't serve any purpose, it was just a silly idea.

Also: The pacing was uneven (Investigation arc) and the wild floor jumping. I feel like a traveler's journey with zones would have been better.

I haven't watched the 2nd season because the story ended.

Definitely not my favorite show, but it did a lot of things right.

Jun 26, 2009
Hah.

Ahahhahahha...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

HAH.

SAO is the worst anime. My most hated, at the very least. I despise everything about it, and I... Don't really despise most things. But SAO is an exception.

Lame, predictable characters. The most sue-ish main character I have ever seen in an actual show. Female characters who fall for him for no reason other then he's the main protagonist. Shitty fanservice.

And you know? I wouldn't hate it just for that. I hate it because along with all that stuff it had amazing animation, wasted. Completely wasted. SAO is pure and utter waste, and that makes it ten times worse then any old bad anime.

The reason Kill la Kill is popular is because it's batshit insane, pure fun. It has fanservice, sure, but at least it makes a joke about it. A good joke. It isn't just there to be there, so that makes it a bit better. Plus it has ties to Gurren Lagann, and people love that show. Sure it's not the best anime, but it does what it does fairly well. I watch it from time to time.

Attack on Titan is popular because it's bloody and grim, something people like these days- Although I don't. At least I can understand why people like Attack on Titan, and I can respect it for doing what it does. At least it uses it's fantastic animation, unlike SaO that felt the need to bombard us with it's harem garbage.

Go ahead and enjoy if you will, but don't hold it up as standard for other anime to reach. I don't want any more good animators wasting their time on that kind of thing.

Vylox

May 3, 2013
Mediocre is giving Sword Art Online too much credit. Way too much credit.

The pacing is horrible, the character development is nearly non-existent. And these are very big issues when it comes to any anime.

I will admit that it has some good points (handling of some cliches), but they just aren't enough to make this anime worth the time.

I can't stand Kill La Kill, or Attack on Titan either..... guess I'm getting jaded in my old age.

If you want gems.....
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
Or
Kyoukai no Kanata

Would be good places to start.

MrGonzales

Nov 7, 2013
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
Hah.

Ahahhahahha...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

HAH.

SAO is the worst anime. My most hated, at the very least. I despise everything about it, and I... Don't really despise most things. But SAO is an exception.

Lame, predictable characters. The most sue-ish main character I have ever seen in an actual show. Female characters who fall for him for no reason other then he's the main protagonist. Shitty fanservice.

And you know? I wouldn't hate it just for that. I hate it because along with all that stuff it had amazing animation, wasted. Completely wasted. SAO is pure and utter waste, and that makes it ten times worse then any old bad anime.

The reason Kill la Kill is popular is because it's batshit insane, pure fun. It has fanservice, sure, but at least it makes a joke about it. A good joke. It isn't just there to be there, so that makes it a bit better. Plus it has ties to Gurren Lagann, and people love that show. Sure it's not the best anime, but it does what it does fairly well. I watch it from time to time.

Attack on Titan is popular because it's bloody and grim, something people like these days- Although I don't. At least I can understand why people like Attack on Titan, and I can respect it for doing what it does. At least it uses it's fantastic animation, unlike SaO that felt the need to bombard us with it's harem garbage.

Go ahead and enjoy if you will, but don't hold it up as standard for other anime to reach. I don't want any more good animators wasting their time on that kind of thing.
Ah, finally someone else on this thread gets that this anime is shit, and gets why. It is truly undefendable when it comes to objective quality, even if one enjoys it despite it's many, many, many flaws. I'm certain that if it hadn't been made with so much otaku-gamer wish fulfillment stuffed in everyone would acknowledge it as the trash that it is.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Ishal said:
Seriously, SAO is pretty damn good. What sorcery is this? At a glance it looks like generic tripe, but it's got a surprising amount of depth and the aesthetic, while at first cliche, actually works within the world and anime.

I'm going to need to go back and watch more it to really flesh out my opinion. But so far, it seems to stick a rare balance in anime where it engages in half it's tropes, then subverts the other half.

But seriously, all I've heard about is Kill la Kill and Attack on Titan. Just... why? This is why I hold the views about anime that I do. Maybe it's just me and SAO is popular, I just haven't heard about it. But it sure seems like these diamonds in the rough are becoming increasingly rare.
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah...
Kill La Kill isn't really all that good from what I've seen and it just seems to go over the top for absolutely no reason.

But when compared to SAO, I will say that SAO is the pinnacle of wish fulfillment characters and villains. IE: Kayaba's reasoning for doing all this "Trapping people in the game" being that doesn't fucking know why he did it in the first place!
This show lost me at the promising but quickly deteriorating start.
It's nice to know that Kirito... excuse me, I mean Jesus can solve every problem by simply existing and make all women fall in love with him at just the drop of a hat.

No thank you SAO, I'll continue to watch good anime and good manga.

[HEADING=2]Keep Calm and watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure[/HEADING]

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Y'know I had a really big post describing shit, and even trying to point out why Attack on Titan isn't as shonen bullshit as SAO, but I don't think I'll deal with the drama.

To answer why it isn't as popular. It is. But you now know this.
The main reason though is because it stopped airing last year, whereas AoT just ended and Kill La Kill just started.

I really don't like SAO, and cringe when people complain that it's so great that people can't find anything else like it.
It's fine to like it man, but to defend it so strongly, admit it's faults just to say they're ok because MMO, then point out how something is more broken for having tropes, despite not pulling as much bullshit just to serve the main character as author insert.

I just think it's a pretty piece of shit, like Guilty Crown, and often liked by the same people as it, with them all lamenting how "They're so rare. They'll never find anything like it". So that's my recommendation to you.

Spacewolf said:
Ok on the top anime list thing people have been putting up Steins gate is currently ranked at 2 is it really that good? I made it to episode 2 or possibly 3 before I decided I had no investment in any of the characters whatsoever and would prefer to watch something else, so does it get more engaging as it goes on.
Yes, well...it'll depend on your opinion.
But importantly, the turning point is halfway, because the bulk of the engaging story is made of the second half of the series where everything is a direct consequence of even the smallest actions in the first half, leading it to be quite well thought out.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Palademon said:
I just think it's a pretty piece of shit, like Guilty Crown, and often liked by the same people as it, with them all lamenting how "They're so rare. They'll never find anything like it". So that's my recommendation to you.
Finally someone mentioned Guilty Crown. I was thinking about it this entire thread trying to remember it's name because I wanted to compare the two.

Yeah, SAO is like Guilty Crown. Both are some of the most beautifully animated pieces of garbage I've seen in recent memory. They're both incredibly vapid and pointless, anime that have no soul and seem like they were basically made by checking boxes on a design document that reads "how to make popular anime."

I watched both through to the end, and the entire time I was watching them I kept asking myself why I was still wasting my time.

At least SAO had a somewhat interesting premise at the beginning though, Guilty Crown is just uninspired crap the whole way through.

They're about as soulless and empty as anime get, and yet they get away with it by using their high production values to trick people into thinking they're good.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Palademon said:
I really don't like SAO, and cringe when people complain that it's so great that people can't find anything else like it.
It's fine to like it man, but to defend it so strongly, admit it's faults just to say they're ok because MMO, then point out how something is more broken for having tropes, despite not pulling as much bullshit just to serve the main character as author insert.
I'm not really defending it strongly. I kinda knew putting the whole "it's a gem" thing in the OP might have been a mistake. Since posting this I've watched more into it, and I can see all too clearly what the folks in this thread are talking about with it's decline in quality.

Each person has their own deal breakers when it comes to their taste in entertainment. Those specific ones for me were explained away by the MMO internal logic. It's clear yours weren't. The only other thing worth pointing out is the harem thing. It never really registered while watching the Aincrad arc. The reason for that is I don't watch harem anime. I get the concept, but I'm not as familiar with it as to see the red flags as you or others might.

AoT simply has too much for me to call it anything but what I already described in that wall o text. I can't watch it or take it seriously. I don't think SAO is all that much better now, to be honest. Part of posting this was an experiment to see what people thought about it and how they compared it to other anime. I learned things. The harem angle never crossed my mind, like I said. I see why people don't like it.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Ishal said:
I'm not really defending it strongly. I kinda knew putting the whole "it's a gem" thing in the OP might have been a mistake. Since posting this I've watched more into it, and I can see all too clearly what the folks in this thread are talking about with it's decline in quality.

Each person has their own deal breakers when it comes to their taste in entertainment. Those specific ones for me were explained away by the MMO internal logic. It's clear yours weren't. The only other thing worth pointing out is the harem thing. It never really registered while watching the Aincrad arc. The reason for that is I don't watch harem anime. I get the concept, but I'm not as familiar with it as to see the red flags as you or others might.

AoT simply has too much for me to call it anything but what I already described in that wall o text. I can't watch it or take it seriously. I don't think SAO is all that much better now, to be honest. Part of posting this was an experiment to see what people thought about it and how they compared it to other anime. I learned things. The harem angle never crossed my mind, like I said. I see why people don't like it.
Thank you for that response. It was more civil than I probably deserved.
Also, I don't dislike harems, it was just a problem because it was clear it was to give the main character more accolades, rather than to be interesting.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
Palademon said:
Finally someone mentioned Guilty Crown. I was thinking about it this entire thread trying to remember it's name because I wanted to compare the two.

Yeah, SAO is like Guilty Crown. Both are some of the most beautifully animated pieces of garbage I've seen in recent memory. They're both incredibly vapid and pointless, anime that have no soul and seem like they were basically made by checking boxes on a design document that reads "how to make popular anime."

I watched both through to the end, and the entire time I was watching them I kept asking myself why I was still wasting my time.

At least SAO had a somewhat interesting premise at the beginning though, Guilty Crown is just uninspired crap the whole way through.

They're about as soulless and empty as anime get, and yet they get away with it by using their high production values to trick people into thinking they're good.
Yeah, SAO had entertaining bits. Guilty Crown was just...wow. And it went nowhere.

Oddly enough, it also had a completely unnecessary second arc.

Ishal said:
NO. You must dig in and obsessively defend your position even if you no longer believe in it. Otherwise your e-penis gets smaller.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
First off, your opinion is your opinion is your opinion. I'm not so crass as to think I can prove you "wrong" in your opinion by mocking it and stating my own, but for the sake of those uninformed, I want to at least have my opinion stated as a balance to yours. Thus, don't take this post as me trying to debate you over something as personal as an opinion. I only wished to contrast you.

I don't know how to do spoiler tags, so I'll place my warning here: a handful of Attack on Titan spoilers follow.

Ishal said:
Shingeki no Kyojin is terrible, no that's too charitable. It's garbage, no still too charitable. It's an abortion. It succinctly displays everything I can't stand about anime ever, and this is why it's so popular.
I'll start here. I don't think it was necessarily your intent, since most of your posts are as level-headed and polite as you can expect on an internet forum, but the way you phrased your opening here makes it come across like:

"this series is only popular because idiot sheeple adore crap tropes and storytelling conventions, which of course I am too enlightened to fall prey to."

Saying a show is popular solely because of elements you dislike can create the illusion of being some sort of iconoclastic hipster, even when such isn't your intent. It's especially palling when one considers how many of the complaints you leveled at SnK that could then be turned around and applied to SAO, which you compare favorably to it.

Eren: stock angsty hate filled teen with a chip on his shoulder cuz of his mom's death. Protagonist who does stupid stuff w/o thinking and is never in any real danger due to having his power to shift but when he is in "danger" he's saved by

...Mikasa: stock strong and silent type character. Female for otaku pandering and a generic combat machine when it comes to slaying Titans. No emotions so they can be discovered later in a lengthy flashback... because shounen anime. She protects weaker characters such as...

...Armin: Stock wimpy sympathetic plot device who's job is to sit on the sidelines and vomit exposition to the audience in the most pedantic formulaic way possible, because shounen anime!! And when not doing that get attacked or placed in danger to give the other two husks something to do.
Shonen stock characters are certainly not for everyone, but I have a hard time believing that AoT's characters are any more stock than any other series. Indeed, in my opinion, they're rightly regarded as better rounded than most other examples of leads in a shonen series. Yeah, Eren is a hotheaded, hate-filled shonen hero, but unlike pretty much any other shonen series, where hot-bloodedness can make the impossible possible, Eren's half-cocked attitude always, ALWAYS backfires on him. Whenever he pulls the stereotypical scene in any shonen where the hero roars out in youthful passion, ignores his orders and does what's RIGHT! it always results in his being humiliatingly pacified and lots and lots of death. He only ever accomplishes anything when he tempers himself.

These are the same stock trope anime cliches in so much anime, but OH NO!! It's different this time! It's different because the setting is "dark" and "bleak" and "Anyone could die at any minute!" I'm sorry, but that last one just cracks me up. This is a shounen anime, people. The only thing more certain than an obnoxious cast of characters surviving all the way through, or at least til the end, is death and fucking taxes.
Yes, you're right. Anyone with the slightest amount of genre savvy can say for certain than Armin, Eren, and Mikasa won't be dying until the end. That's three guaranteed lives... out of an impressively sized cast. People are right to be impressed by that, especially in this genre.

Besides, if they kill off the characters, how do they expect to have EPIC FLESH-MECHA TITAN BATTLES??. Because that is what AoT is. Honestly, I don't even like anime that much and I saw this coming a mile away. It's not because I'm super good at reading into things, it's not because I'm super clever. It's because this show is standard shounen bullshit. I'll say it again. Do you really think they would pass up an opportunity to have titan's fight each other? Did you expect them to just fight them from the walls and on horseback the entire time? Jumping around with their cords or whatever it's called? C'mon people...
Fair enough. Many people didn't like the plot twist with eren, and it's very much just a matter of taste.

Unfortunately for how cool Eren is as this pointy eared titan, that "interesting" setting goes bye bye. It's a clever bait and switch. The world seems so bleak and terrifying, hope is pretty much gone. Eren is helpless... until we find out he and a whole bunch of others can turn into titans. That whole bit where the scouting legion returns and walks through the street with 1000 yard stares. The women runs up to them and asks if her boy died for something. The guy breaks down and says no, they're dying for nothing. It's hopeless. LOL JK!! Turns out the scouting legion are filled with a bunch of badasses who are actually really efficient at killing titans... because shounen anime!!!! I'm starting to see a pattern here... hmm...
a whole bunch of others? to date, five have been confirmed. of those, only Eren fights on behalf of humanity. Also I must have missed the part where Eren being able to turn into a titan suddenly turned the show into "eren can accomplish anything the TV". Last I checked, Eren consistently fails to accomplish much of anything as a titan, and even when he does, it's usually just to help humanity recover some small amount of what they just lost in the titan attack. He basically changed the atmosphere of the show from "humanity doesn't have a chance in hell" to "humanity only has a snowball's chance in hell"

And the scouting brigade is an unkillable league of badasses? the same scouting league that lost 80% of its named cast during the female titan arc? then lost another man in the following arc, had its ace crippled for who knows how long, and its captain's arm chewed off? Sure they're efficient at killing titans. They've been doing it for years. They don't fight so easily as to drain the show of tension, though. If anything, their badassery is necessary just to make the show bearable. Without them, it would seem like there's no point to even watching humanity struggle, if they're just gonna be beat down! We may as well watch ants attack a man.

But all this has a counterpoint in the character of Dot Pixis. The kids spend their entire time shrieking and caterwauling (except mikasa.. cuz no emotion, cuz designated female combat badass for otakus, cuz shonen anime) then here comes the aged field commander who is just SO in control of the situation he can afford himself little breezy comments. He's there to give the kids and others hope when the writer should have written himself into a corner with the amount of despair and hopelessness he's built up. But of course, Pixis is introduced with a snarky and witty "fuck the establishment" angle because he's obviously going to come running to save the little people. That's his way of being honorable... and it was delivered in such a way that a blow to the face with shovel would have been less forced.
I don't follow. perhaps I misunderstand? Pixis, much like Irwin, is portrayed as a borderline cold-blooded commander who thinks nothing of sacrificing the "little guy" for the sake of the bigger picture, because they've (rightly) reasoned that there's nothing they can accomplish without sacrifice. the only way Pixis is portrayed as more "honorable" than anyone is that the higher ups want to just seal up Wall Sina and pray for the best, whereas Pixis and Irwin at least want to TRY to win the war.

You see, the problem with AoT and shonen in general is that it creates a set of stakes for itself and then casts a set of characters that are to take those stakes far too seriously - and then countweighs that with a team of happy-go-lucky asskickers who laugh in the face of danger.
again, I just don't see where you see anyone coming NEARLY as close to kicking ass with a laugh in the face of danger as you state here. I came close to dropping AoT a few chapters/episodes in, simply because without those brief moments of success, the show was overwhelmingly negative, and offered no hope to counter balance it.

In between we're presented with horrid comic relief characters like Sasha. Her only impetus in the series seeming to be hunger, but she operates on the same level as the rest of the cast, because shonen anime. All she does is complain about hunger pains the falls out of a chair. Hur dur physical humor.
now THIS I agree with you 100% on. Sasha's existance is unforgivable to this setting, and only ever comes across as inappropriate to the tone. Sure, she got her backstory, and I don't hate her anymore, but comedy relief never had a place here, and her setting the series up for a fart joke was just unforgivable.

Regarding SAO, I think the reason people are harsher toward it than other series even when it's of comparable quality is that it truly is fantasy/wish fulfillment. this doesn't make it worse than another show on principle, but it can come across as condescending and insulting to people who recognize it, basically coming across as an "here's a guy you wish you were, losers! Give me money!"

I've only seen the show as the episodes air on toonami, but so far it's okay. Not great, but not bad. It comes across like .hack//sign's cooler, far less pretentious younger brother.

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
It's not high art or anything, and the first season should have definitely been given far more room to breathe, but for what is essentially the Japanese version of Twilight (not in popularity but in concept) it's pretty damn fantastic. The fights are entertaining, the motivations are believable, and it's extremely interesting to see MMOs explored as if they were an actual world - I am definitely going to read the light novels at some point.

The series' main flaw is that it is too rushed - the main reason people are hating on the second arc so much is that there is such a dramatic shift in tone from the first episode in only a span of around 13 episodes or so. Make no mistake: the second arc should be treated as a COMPLETELY different show. It's not anywhere near as good or well developed, and while fun on its own merits, would have played out much better as a sequel show to a much more fleshed out 26 episode main series.

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
Madara XIII said:
IE: Kayaba's reasoning for doing all this "Trapping people in the game" being that doesn't fucking know why he did it in the first place!
This is actually one of my favorite things about this first season; they don't bother with giving a coherent reason why he would do it because 1) holy shit why the fuck would ANYONE do that EVER, and 2) there doesn't need to be a reason. The point isn't the cause, it's the effect. It's a very high concept sort of thing: if there was a reason, it would be contrived bullshit anyway, so why bother with it to begin with? I liken it to Death Note: why is there suddenly a notebook that kills people with a set of oddly specific rules? Because it's fun to see what happens when there is, and Ryuk even admits as much right at the very beginning of the show.

Of course, it kinda falls apart in the second arc where they're like "Hey, crazy psychopathic video game developer with no sense of decency or of maintaining his career or of using the technology they've created for something actually worthwhile worked in the first season, so let's put it in the second one too - and make it the main focus this time!"

MrGonzales

Nov 7, 2013
MisterGobbles said:
Madara XIII said:
IE: Kayaba's reasoning for doing all this "Trapping people in the game" being that doesn't fucking know why he did it in the first place!
This is actually one of my favorite things about this first season; they don't bother with giving a coherent reason why he would do it because 1) holy shit why the fuck would ANYONE do that EVER, and 2) there doesn't need to be a reason. The point isn't the cause, it's the effect. It's a very high concept sort of thing: if there was a reason, it would be contrived bullshit anyway, so why bother with it to begin with? I liken it to Death Note: why is there suddenly a notebook that kills people with a set of oddly specific rules? Because it's fun to see what happens when there is, and Ryuk even admits as much right at the very beginning of the show.

Of course, it kinda falls apart in the second arc where they're like "Hey, crazy psychopathic video game developer with no sense of decency or of maintaining his career or of using the technology they've created for something actually worthwhile worked in the first season, so let's put it in the second one too - and make it the main focus this time!"
But... your previous comment said that the motivations were believable. It's really just lazy writing to make the main antagonist go "Why did I do it... uh... I forgot." And Ryuk does have a reason: He's bored and has a lack of care for human lives, being a god of death and all. Couldn't Kayaba at least have that reason? Not that any of the characters have believable motivations aside from surviving. Can you give me an actual reason for every female character wanting to bone Kirito five minutes after meeting him? And it's main flaw is not that it is rushed, it's that they waste most of their 14 episodes on terrible otaku-pandering side stories instead of actual plot and character development. I count 6 episodes that actually move the plot forward (taking away one episode because 2 of 7 episodes that move the plot forward waste half of their time on cooking and fishing) not that the story is any good after the first three episodes anyway.