SWTOR: Really EA? Are you seriously surprised?

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
I saw this post today: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.378811-BioWare-Considers-Free-to-Play-For-The-Old-Republic
Along with this: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117133-The-Old-Republic-Population-Shrinking

For those who don't want to read the articles: What it comes down to is that SWTOR's subscriptions are in drastic decline and they are considering making it free to play THIS soon after release (it came out in December 2011). WOW has like 10 million subscribers while SWTOR only had like 1.7 and now has about 1.3 million. Every day if I go online I see that most of the servers have a very light population. In my experience you rarely EVER see another player. One who has played the game will usually admit that it has many things that are much better than what WOW offers, so why is it doing so crap?

Am I the only one who is aware of the fact that SWTOR is made available in only TWO CONTINENTS?
While WOW is available internationally ?

Areas where SWTOR is available:
North America and Europe (Some countries).

Areas where their competitor's games (including wow) are available:
North America, Europe, Australia, Asia, Africa, South America and also 20 countries of Europe that SWTOR does not cover.

I personally had to import the game from amazon, which in total cost about $150 for the standard edition. The alternative was to download the digital version and buy the cd key online but you can't because Origin is also locking other countries out and you need to go through proxies and shit which I always thought criminals did to steal money but in this case you need to do it to GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY. It's like EA seriously doesn't want your fucking money.

Then I had to wait 4 months for it NOT to arrive.
Then I had to wait as they send another one, it arrived last week from today.
I installed it but couldn't update until I had a subscription. "Hmmmm, I'm new at this subscription thing but won't the time used for updating still count as play time and just waste subscription time? Can't I update FIRST and THEN start a subscription to avoid wasting valuable and expensive play time? Nah I'm sure the game time only starts to count down when you can actually play the game, EA aren't such big dicks." So I linked my cd-key to my SWTOR account. EA wants your credit card details too. "Eeerm, okay. I'm going to need to use my dad's because I can't use mine for certain reasons but he's over seas so I'll just wait for him to come back next week. I'll just let the game update in the mean time".

What happens:

The game cannot update.
EA HAS To have my credit card details.
The days remaining for my subscription are decreasing regardless of the fact that I have not given them my credit card details and cannot play or update."I am sitting here, being charged for a game I am deliberately being prevented from playing even though the first month is free and shouldn't need any credit card details, didn't EA win an award for practices like this? Oh yeah, it was the Golden poo award".

Personally I am not surprised at all that this game isn't doing well. It's a shame too, Bioware did a pretty good job with the game, it's EA's decisions that are leaving it worse off. I guess this is why many people thought that EA would really screw up bioware now that they own them.

On a different note, yes the subscription system is an abomination. Free to play would be much better and bring in many customers. Buy to play would be ideal but that won't return a profit.

So forum, wouldn't it be ideal for SWTOR if EA sold it internationally so it can ACTUALLY COMPETE against other mmos? I mean look at the subscribers it has from merely two countries, think of the many more the rest has to offer. And is it not true that the f2p system would make the game more approachable to new players?

Eventually my dad showed up and activated the account with his credit card and EA charged him for a dollar (to ping him or something I was told by someone on the forums). Luckily the game updates quickly and I only lost ONE week of subscription time.

It's no surprise that with service like this, people severely dislike EA. This subscription model needs to be ripped out and cast aside.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Wow I didn't even know they had such a shitty setup, I guess my mate was too embarrassed to tell me the full story after I warned him about this game for so long.

Anyway that is quite the hilarious read and I fucking called this MMO failing like all others the moment they announced it, WoW still owns that market and you just can't beat them with a game almost as good.

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Mr.K. said:
Wow I didn't even know they had such a shitty setup, I guess my mate was too embarrassed to tell me the full story after I warned him about this game for so long.

Anyway that is quite the hilarious read and I fucking called this MMO failing like all others the moment they announced it, WoW still owns that market and you just can't beat them with a game almost as good.
Could you point out what WOW does better? A friend of mine said some people had complaints about swtor and I want to know what wow does to keep its subscriptions.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
Mr.K. said:

Could you point out what WOW does better? A friend of mine said some people had complaints about swtor and I want to know what wow does to keep its subscriptions.
At this point, I find WoW to just e totally unfun to play. However, I think WoW has kept it's subscribers by being so big. "Why would I play some Star Wars game when all my friends are playing WoW?"

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
WoW clones end up in three ways - with 100k subs, F2P, or both.

SWTOR is really not worth bothering with.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
Wait, it came out in December 2012? Isn't it still June? Are you from the future or something? If so, when are they releasing Half-Life 3?

Teasing aside, EA should have seen the population shrinkage coming. After the developers of Kingdoms of Amalur were lost to a failed MMORPG project, i really have to ask: why even try to make pay to play MMORPGs anymore?

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
kyosai7 said:
Mr.K. said:

At this point, I find WoW to just e totally unfun to play. However, I think WoW has kept it's subscribers by being so big. "Why would I play some Star Wars game when all my friends are playing WoW?"
So it's really more about the amount of players playing it? I found wow unfun too but the things that I thought the game needed are right there in SWTOR. The combat is just much better to me, you are actually in duels with beautiful choreography, blade meeting blade, shifts and changes and adaptations in motion as the blades meet in different places from the counter attacks you haven't even initiated, it is art. Wow's combat felt kind of mindless, dragon age was literally the same stabbing motion over and over and over again, I thought SWTOR did it properly.

Just my opinion.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
For those who don't want to read the articles: What it comes down to is that SWTOR's subscriptions are in drastic decline and they are considering making it free to play THIS soon after release (it came out in December 2012).
Unless you have a time machine, I think you meant 2011.

Edit: Fucking Ninja's

And it's news like this that makes me think Bethesda is making a mistake by trying to make an MMO. So many people have tried and failed, why risk it when you could just spend that time on a console game that will do well

Quesa

Jul 8, 2009
The benefit you get from being The Big Dog is that you have the most people playing. I still know people playing WoW, people that I like. I do not know anyone that I like who is currently playing Rift, TOR or any other pretender to the crown.

Each one that comes out, like TSW, dozens of people I know clamor about how amazing and fantastic it is, then when half of them are done in the first two months, and 40-50% of the remaining half melt away.

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Pyramid Head said:
Wait, it came out in December 2012? Isn't it still June? Are you from the future or something? If so, when are they releasing Half-Life 3?
*edits typo*

[Obligatory anti low content sentence here]

Senor Smoke21

May 23, 2008
I installed it but couldn't update until I had a subscription. "Hmmmm, I'm new at this subscription thing but won't the time used for updating still count as play time and just waste subscription time? Can't I update FIRST and THEN start a subscription to avoid wasting valuable and expensive play time? Nah I'm sure the game time only starts to count down when you can actually play the game, EA aren't such big dicks." So I linked my cd-key to my SWTOR account. EA wants your credit card details too. "Eeerm, okay. I'm going to need to use my dad's because I can't use mine for certain reasons but he's over seas so I'll just wait for him to come back next week. I'll just let the game update in the mean time".

What happens:

The game cannot update.
The days remaining for my subscription are decreasing regardless of the fact that I have not given them my credit card details and cannot play or update.
That's the same with all MMO's. It's pretty lame but not individual to SWTOR or EA.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
Most MMO's require you to pay extra or link your account to a credit card before you can start playing. Despite getting a free month with the game. I don't have a credit card and had to wait a week before I could get my hands on a time card and could finally start playing. So I also lost time.

Then again, after a month my interest waned and I ended up wasting two months anyway. Such a shame. Honestly the game isn't too bad, I had quite a bit of fun with it, until I got to Tatooine that is. I swear if I have to see that planet in ANY Star Wars game ever again...

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Senor Smoke21 said:

What happens:

The game cannot update.
The days remaining for my subscription are decreasing regardless of the fact that I have not given them my credit card details and cannot play or update.
That's the same with all MMO's. It's pretty lame but not individual to SWTOR or EA.
Which is why I dislike the pay to play system and think f2p is better. It has problems I know which is why I only say it's "better".

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Pyramid Head said:

OT: Well... I haven't played The Old Republic, so I don't think I can really contribute to the topic at hand. I find it amusing though, because as Yahtzee once said: "Fair enough. I mean, of all that things that tried to unseat WoW from the MMORPG throne, Star Wars is the one thing over which nerds get even weirder."

Besides, most of it is probably caused by EA's terrible business model anyway. "If you can't sell five million copies, you don't get to eat tonight!"

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Mr.K. said:

Wow has momentum. Me and my friend are playing another month when MoP comes out for old times sake. Hopefully my other friends will do the same that I've lost contact with and I can undo that. You don't move onto TOR because all your friends are on WoW, simple as that.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Comparing SW:TOR (or indeed any MMO) to WoW and using the result to criticise the MMO is quite frankly ridiculous. WoW is king of the market and isn't budging anytime soon. Everyone knows that. Also, three continents. Not two.

On the subscription model, I actually prefer P2P. I find it much easier to just have a solid payment every month and have complete acces to the game than having to pay micro-transactions galore for the full experience.

Sirron Kcuch

Jan 3, 2012
The thing is that Blizzard made a smart move by optimizing WoW to work everywhere. By the July your microwave could run it. And that can only mean moar and moar subs.
And also, many people take it up because of a friend, and Blizzard has always known that, so they try to take some kind of advantage from it.

What they did with WoW was genius.
Except Mists of Pandaria, that is.