Syndicate Developer Thinks Its Game is Too Hard

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
ah well "too hard" isn't a problem for some people who like a challenge haha
...just don't make it an Achievement x.x

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
Well, I tried the coop demo and yes, you do actually have to work with your team. I tried running ahead of everyone one time with a shotgun and I got the shit kicked out of me everyone I came across. And this was on normal difficulty. I don't know if it will be too hard on hard, but it should be pretty friggin hard.

In other words:

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY STARBREEZE.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Not a shooter fan, and I'm not a big fan of them taking a squad based tactics/strategy title and releasing it as a shooter with the same name. I loathe this project just as much as I do X-com on principle.

That said, someone talking about Syndicate being too hard obviously seems to be forgetting the original. *Cough* "Atlantic Accelerator" *Cough*. One of the things that defined Syndicate was the obnoxious amount of difficulty in the final missions.... and you know strategies like "load your guys with suicide devices, pull everyone together and then detonate all but one of them and have the remaining agent mop up the survivors". LoL. :)

It sounds to me that the issue isn't so much a matter of the game being difficult, but it relying on the human factor of team work making it difficult. Basically your Halo, and Modern Warfare players won't be able to leap in there and start blasting and circle strafing their way through maps with everyone doing whatever they want. If you get past that reflex and can go in with a set "party" rather than trying to engage in the cat-herding that is a PUG it's pretty normal.

Any way it goes, in all likelyhood this title won't be getting my time or money. A new "Syndicate 3" based around the old gameplay style with new technology probably would, but it's very rare when a shooter does it for me. Still, I'm sure someone will enjoy it.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Too hard my ass! Although getting through the "Hard" difficulty on the demo mission took work if ONLY because my allies didn't grasp how the game worked yet. That and for some reason they give you grenades, but don't say ANYWHERE how to use them. But yeah, I feel the challenge is adequate. You want too hard? Demon's Souls, enough said.....

m72_ar

Oct 27, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
ImmortalDrifter said:
Name and attitude are all that remain of the original.
See, I'd question that. Name does, but attitude?
The original Syndicate was essence of Cyberpunk: A Dystopian Future where Hobos are dragged from the street, fitted with guns, cybernetics and bombs and told to wage war.
This one? A Utopian Future where a super goodlooking supersmart cyborg fights for his life against the evil corporations and their inevitable betrayal.

Frozen Synapse does Cyberpunk Shooters fifteen times better than this Ultramodern Warfare.
You're kidding right. All the gameplay video that I've seen shown that Miles Kilo and his partner kill security in cold blood.
And their employer is a pretty nasty company that sent agents to steal from other companies (remove chip from some guys brain).

Really, Utopian? dude got a chip in his head that allows him to force some guy to kill himself. Plus there is a class division between the guys who got chip in their had (the rich) and the one that doesn't. How is that utopian?

I have no idea how do you get the impression that this one is "A Utopian Future where a super goodlooking supersmart cyborg fights for his life against the evil corporations and their inevitable betrayal." The betrayal one might be true but you work for an evil corporations after all, so it's basically in the job description

Feb 13, 2008
m72_ar said:
All the gameplay video that I've seen shown that Miles Kilo and his partner kill security in cold blood.
Like...ooh...every other FPS ever.
And their employer is a pretty nasty company that sent agents to steal from other companies
Again, original.

Really, Utopian? dude got a chip in his head that allows him to force some guy to kill himself. Plus there is a class division between the guys who got chip in their had (the rich) and the one that doesn't. How is that utopian?
Because you play him. If you played the other guy, that's Dystopian.

The Rich guys live in their Utopia with their armed guards. They're the guys you should be killing because they're the ones's ruining your life. See Blade Runner, Max Headroom, Johnny Mnemonic, Neuromancer...

The original Syndicate, your guys didn't even have names, never mind backgrounds.

ImmortalDrifter

Jan 6, 2011
The original Syndicate was essence of Cyberpunk: A Dystopian Future where Hobos are dragged from the street, fitted with guns, cybernetics and bombs and told to wage war.
This one? A Utopian Future where a super goodlooking supersmart cyborg fights for his life against the evil corporations and their inevitable betrayal.

Frozen Synapse does Cyberpunk Shooters fifteen times better than this Ultramodern Warfare.
You do know you work for Eurocorp in the game right? The corporation in Syndicate Wars? And my memory may be scarce but I never recall persuading hobos. More like useful civilians and enemy research personel.

If we're going to bring studios into this, Starbreeze made The Darkness. So I'm sure their capable of making a dark cyberpunk game.

I'm also going to point out that if evil megacorporations exist, it isn't a utopia.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
ImmortalDrifter said:
Name and attitude are all that remain of the original.

Erm, no. Its not Utopian... Corporations control everything and are allowed to do anything they want, meaning they literally murder their competitors with bioengineered assassins. The consumer is literally controlled by corporations rather than just heavily influenced, unless 1984 was a story about how perfect that world would be then I dont think this is a Utopia. It is literally repressive and controlling, the exact definition of Dystopian.

Oh and you dont play as a good guy... or even a slightly decent guy.

m72_ar

Oct 27, 2010
m72_ar said:
All the gameplay video that I've seen shown that Miles Kilo and his partner kill security in cold blood.
Like...ooh...every other FPS ever.
And their employer is a pretty nasty company that sent agents to steal from other companies
Again, original.

Because you play him. If you played the other guy, that's Dystopian.

The Rich guys live in their Utopia with their armed guards. They're the guys you should be killing because they're the ones's ruining your life. See Blade Runner, Max Headroom, Johnny Mnemonic, Neuromancer...

The original Syndicate, your guys didn't even have names, never mind backgrounds.
No it's not, nobody say it's crazy original and let's face it playing as the "Doom Guy" era is over. But in the game you are playing as a Corporate Enforcer, you are the bad guy and that kind of game is pretty rare. it "may" turn out that at later stages you will be fighting against "The Man" but none of the gameplay video suggest that and unless you play the leaked full game you also can't say that

And your thing about Utopia does not make sense. By that logic Deus Ex series is Utopian games, because you are playing as the rich guys and not as the hobo from the street.

In blade runner and neuromancer there is a quiet corporate oppression, but the corporation did not actively trying to screw the poor for the lulz. So the setting is exactly like this game

Feb 13, 2008
ImmortalDrifter said:
but I never recall persuading hobos.
Loading video. It's the basis of the background.

I'm also going to point out that if evil megacorporations exist, it isn't a utopia.
Kinguendo said:
Corporations control everything and are allowed to do anything they want, meaning they literally murder their competitors with bioengineered assassins. The consumer is literally controlled by corporations rather than just heavily influenced, unless 1984 was a story about how perfect that world would be then I dont think this is a Utopia. It is literally repressive and controlling, the exact definition of Dystopian.
Upper Class Utopia; Lower Class Dystopia. In Cyberpunk you'd play Lower attacking Upper, hence the "punk". This is Upper attacking Upper with Lower used as shielding. That's Superheroics if anything.

In blade runner and neuromancer there is a quiet corporate oppression, but the corporation did not actively trying to screw the poor for the lulz.
Honestly, I'd suggest re-reading those and ask yourself exactly what the Tyrell Corporation and Tessier-Ashpool were doing.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Kinguendo said:
Corporations control everything and are allowed to do anything they want, meaning they literally murder their competitors with bioengineered assassins. The consumer is literally controlled by corporations rather than just heavily influenced, unless 1984 was a story about how perfect that world would be then I dont think this is a Utopia. It is literally repressive and controlling, the exact definition of Dystopian.
Upper Class Utopia; Lower Class Dystopia. In Cyberpunk you'd play Lower attacking Upper, hence the "punk". This is Upper attacking Upper with Lower used as shielding. That's Superheroics if anything.
Oh and you dont play as a good guy... or even a slightly decent guy.
But you should. The hero should be a good guy that's turned bad; not an anti-hero.
Well, in the original Syndicate you have your own corporation and you take over others... whereas in this you play as a bio-engineered prototype weapon created by a Corporation to attack other Corporations.

And... why should they be good turned bad? Your character is a weapon, I would be surprised if he even spoke.

The co-op is the thing that follows the original most closely, apparently the missions you go on are reimagined versions of the ones you go on in the original.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
The COOP demo was decent but I wouldn't consider it hard.

The game it reminded me of most was Borderlands, except it only had like 5 weapons and was cyberpunk.

You have a class power, 4 player coop, and enemies who have lots of hp.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
A requirement for reliance on other people...in a game that's already based on execution.
Yeah. That's about as hard as it gets without it being completely artificial.