Syndicate's use of a dubstep artist

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
sometimes a trailer really works by using a song that is the polar opposite of what you are showing, take the "mad world" trailer for gears of war for example,
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/mad-world-gears-of-war/14419
That worked!

Zay-el

Apr 4, 2011
I'm personally a Power Metal fan, so dubstep is normally something I don't want in my vicinity...but then again, I think that for the flow, atmosphere and pacing of that trailer, it worked quite well.

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
Dubstep... should only BE in video games. It works there, not on my damned radio. It's like techno with even more random noises, there's hardly any order to it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
funny, Ive just gotten inot the dubstep thing, anyway seems to fit the setting I guess

EDIT: holy fuck that was awsome

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Mr.K. said:
Ya there is a trend brewing and this is bullshit, put in music that fits the game and not just X marketing material.

But with Syndicate that is all there is, they sat down a bunch of marketing people with their spreadsheets of most sellable material and shoved it all into a game, then tape the nearest franchise name over.

duuuuhhhh you'd think...cyber punk ectronic...you know

even THEN..stomies it can just work, you know?

anyway its one thing to not like a genre..but to dismiss it entirly...just no, lets not go there

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
DarthRiko said:
I see dubstep as parallel to metal, both are the extremes of their genres.

Forever ago, rock came about. A while later, metal gained popularity. Metal was pretty much the hardcore sub-genre of rock.

Likewise, techno came about and got somewhat popular. Now later, dubstep is gaining popularity, and it is pretty much the hardcore sub-genre of techno.

Slight bit of fun, I was burning a dubstep CD when I came across this thread. Klaypex for the win.
Wow. Way to gloss over 30 years of dance music and completely miss the mark ;) .

On topic, it only makes sense, DnB was quite heavily used in advertising a while back. And Dupstep is the new, DnB like thing. I think the general flow of breakbeat (or just not standard 4/4) dance music works well with things like this.

DarthRiko

Apr 2, 2010
number2301 said:
Wow. Way to gloss over 30 years of dance music and completely miss the mark ;) .
Just fyi, dubstep mostly comes from Jamaican dub music, which is a type of reggae, not dance. It also takes a lot from sub-bass, which first showed up in the early 90's, so I have no idea what 30 years you are talking about. Dubstep is a wholly unique type of electronic music.

Also, my generalization was a comparison of dubstep to metal and their rise in popularity being similar within their genres, not an exact historical accord.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
Valiance said:
Why do they keep making great isometric strategy games into uninspired FPS games?
Because isometric strategy games are anachronistic as fuck?

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
That's a relatively decent tune for dubstep.

Dubstep is what happens when an electronic music producer decides not to bother changing the percussive portions of a track for five minutes. It's typically quite fucking awful. Also, "it's for dancing" doesn't really excuse the lack of creativity in breaks/beats.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
DarthRiko said:
Likewise, techno came about and got somewhat popular. Now later, dubstep is gaining popularity, and it is pretty much the hardcore sub-genre of techno.
Firstly, no it's not. Dubstep isn't even a subgenre of Techno, it's a subgenre of Electronica and evolved from breaks. Techno is not Electronica. Techno is not Electronic Dance Music. By calling all Electronic music Techno it's like saying The Beatles were Bay Area Thrash Metal. It's a categorically incorrect statement.

Hardcore would probably be considered the "extreme" subgenre of Electronica.

Dubstep is a fad. It's been around for 11 years about (in it's modern incarnation) before that we had wobble and most people I know haven't heard about it is until this year. Their choice to use Skrillex is nothing but a grab to appeal to what's popular right now and jump on the money bandwagon for people who don't know better. Even in the dubstep scene Skrillex is despised.

DarthRiko

Apr 2, 2010
AC10 said:
Firstly, no it's not. Dubstep isn't even a subgenre of Techno, it's a subgenre of Electronica and evolved from breaks. Techno is not Electronica. Techno is not Electronic Dance Music. By calling all Electronic music Techno it's like saying The Beatles were Bay Area Thrash Metal. It's a categorically incorrect statement.

Hardcore would probably be considered the "extreme" subgenre of Electronica.
Correction noted. I meant electronica when I said techno. I'll go back and edit that to be correct.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
It fits, I never thought dubstep would fit into a game personally...

And I am kinda right, this isn't exactly dubstep. wubwubwub IS a defining feature, but it's not exclusive to dubstep. (EDITING BECAUSE WHAT I SAID SOUNDED KINDA STUPID) The beat in this track isn't a dubstep beat though (I think, there's a first time for everything though).

This isn't exactly dubstep, I don't know what subgenre of electronica it is, but it isn't exactly dubstep. I wouldn't class it as dubstep anyways, although the elements of dubstep are there.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Dubstep is growing as a fad, but the type of dubstep being used is pretty generic and boring. It's giving great dubstep artists who actual make creative dubstep a bad name. Dubstep isn't really that "extreme" and repetitive when you look at the genre as a whole.

DarthRiko said:
I see dubstep as parallel to metal, both are the extremes of their genres.
This isn't particularly extreme yet it's still dubstep:

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
I'll have to watch the trailer when I get home from work. However, I love dubstep, and if fits well with a trailer, I say use it.

Also, I don't know why, but the dubstep haters amuse me even more than haters of other genres....

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
dubstep can be good, but skrillex just loops the same shitty sound effects and wubwubwubwubwubwubwub with his macbook.

He's not an artist, he's a technician. A bad one at that.

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
When I reached the end of Ballad of Gay Tony, shot the final enemy who'd been annoying my lead characters throughout all of the GTA episodes, after bursting out of his plane before I think it exploded or something and deploying my parachute to glide across the city I was VERY pleased to hear some dirty Dubstep entering a game that was already so filled with night life I assumed there was no way it couldn't have at least one song from the new genre taking over the electronic charts. More important than that though, the music set the tone for what I had just done, and added to the feeling of having just done some epic shiz.

I love Dubstep, and more of it in games sits fine with me, however I should note that it's music that sort of grabs your attention, and therefore wouldn't work for a whole soundtrack. Why? Simple: the soundtrack of a game isn't supposed to slap you out of focus from the game and make you go "WOW! BASS!!", it's supposed to just leave you sort of chilling in the world, it can't be too catchy or alarming, and catchy and alarming are two major bullet points of good Dubstep.

Arctarus'sCookie

May 9, 2011
I thought it fit the futuristic aesthetics quite well for that trailer. The song they used in the ACR trailer is a bit different; it did not fit as well as the E3 Trailer. I overall do like the dubstep trend, but it needs to fit well than using it as a shiny wrapping paper to attract people to it.

TL;DR version. Syndicate trailer + dubstep = Yes.
Assassin's creed revelations trailer + electronic(dubstep) = Not really.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
ShakyFiend said:
The Frozen Synapse soundtrack is very dubsteppy, worth checking out for anyone interested.
it's a great sound track, and it's the kind of music that SHOULD be what dubstep refers to, but sadly it isn't.

it makes sense that dubstep should be downtempo/atmospheric dnb with dub elements....but for whatever reason it's not, it's over-driven wobblebass with the absence of any danceable tempo.

i've been into dnb/jungle for a long time and i've been able to get into pretty much all it's variations and evolutions, but I just do not understand the appeal for stuff like skrillex.