System sellers for each console

Matthew Jabour

Jan 13, 2012
So the holidays are coming up, which means that all the competitors are gearing up for the big selling season. With three systems out, each for at least a year, hopefully there's a 'killer app' for each of them. Unfortunately, apart from Nintendo I really couldn't name any big titles currently out that would make me want to buy any of the consoles.

So, instead I ask you, the internet, what games are out that make hopping onto the current generation of systems worthwhile. Not games that will be out in the near future, I mean games that are currently on the market that I would be willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a console just to get.

I'll start with Nintendo. Pikmin 3, Mario 3D World, Nintendo Land, and of course, Smash Bros. There's plenty more good games, but none that I would buy a Wii U just to have.

So, what about the others?

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Matthew Jabour said:
So, instead I ask you, the internet, what games are out that make hopping onto the current generation of systems worthwhile. Not games that will be out in the near future, I mean games that are currently on the market that I would be willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a console just to get.

Well, then I'd wait atleast another 6 months. :p I don't think there are any new-gen games that are unanimously praised yet(except for maybe a few re-releases). That is not to say there aren't any games you won't personally enjoy though. On PS4 I really enjoyed Evil Within, Shadow of Mordor, Alien Isolation and the 'Ubis'(Watch Dogs, AC Unity and Far Cry 4). For what is still a protracted launch period I found them really enjoyable titles. I personally don't like traditional RPGs but if you do Dragon Age Inquisition appears to have many fans as well.

The really, really good stuff will be released next year. And then I'm primarily talking about Bloodborne and Arkham Knight.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
There is only one at the moment and that is Bayonetta 2 on WiiU there is absolutely nothing else worth getting a console for (current gen) atm imo.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Right now the only system sellers to me are Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros (and I don't own or plan on owning a WiiU so that should tell you something).

Next year though, there's some good stuff coming out. Bloodborne looks like it's going to be amazing, as does Batman Arkham Knight, and Witcher 3.

As of this moment there's really nothing out on Xbox One or PS4 that makes me think I need to buy either of those consoles immediately. 6 months from now though? I'll probably pick up a PS4 for those titles.

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
The thing about system sellers is that, in order for it to be a system seller, it needs to be on the system exclusively. The WiiU has that department on goddamn lockdown, what with a good portion of their games being really good, but as for the Xbox One and PS4? To me, in addition to being an exclusive, the game has to be mindblowingly awesome, and neither console really has one. They have some pretty good games, don't get me wrong, but I can't really think of any of them being anything more than games to pick up if you already have the consoles.

The best console exclusives (as of right now) I'd have to say are inFamous: Second Son for the PS4, and Sunset Overdrive for the Xbone. Any other game that is out right now that I didn't mention I either forgot about(which is unlikely, as I was looking at a list while typing this), aren't good enough to be considered "system sellers," or just aren't out yet. Those two games are probably the closest things to killer apps the two consoles have right now. At least, according to me, that is.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
Sunset Overdrive is certainly what sold me on buying an Xbox One. I've never had a Microsoft console before, and I was extremely wary about buying one after the research I've done.. But it was on sale for Black Friday, and as someone who absolutely loved the look of Sunset Overdrive, I gave in and bought the console.

I regretted buying the console up until I actually put the game in (that's my own extremely bias PS love talking, no hate for any xbox players out there), but less than a minute into the game and I was already sold.

The weapons are ridiculous but insanely enjoyable to use (again though, I'm bias because I love Ratchet & Clank and the arsenal they always had), the humour is extremely well placed, the graphics are insanely impressive and the world... Well, the world is absurdly colourful, but in a really lively and funky way. As someone who is sick to death of brown and grey games, this one is such a breath of fresh air.

The actual gameplay is a blast. Using the environment to your advantage either by wall running, grinding along wires/fences or bouncing on cars all builds up your benefits, so with that in mind the game really does encourage you to get off the ground and check out the routes less traveled. Seriously, grinding along a wire shooting mutants with teddy bears just to leap to the ground for a nice good crowbar smash and use a car to bounce up to a roof? It's INSANELY fun. My only gripe is getting use to the control scheme (again, it's mostly as I'm so use to a PS controller scheme), as there's often so much you want to be doing at the same time. Use the triggers to aim and shoot, meanwhile use the right bumper to speed up your grind, the left bumper to select weapons, but hey, maybe you're getting out of the range of enemies! Lets hold X and A to switch directions, maybe hit B to melee a few nearby enemies while you're on the wire too!

I wouldn't recommend the game for people that don't enjoy extremely fast paced interactions, or those that will disregard a game after struggling in a single battle. It's a learning curve for sure. Most games don't give you this much freedom in the environment, but I can say without a doubt if you have any interest in colourful, COMPLETELY customizable, teddy-bear launching fun, this game will absolutely be worth it, and it definitely is the only reason I bought and use my Xbox One.