System Shock 2 Soundtrack Available For Download

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
System Shock 2 Soundtrack Available For Download

The "real" System Shock 2 soundtrack is now available for download, according to an entry on the SShock2 [http://www.sshock2.com/]fansite.

In a post on the TTLG.com [http://www.ttlg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78], the user MysteryDev wrote that after seeing so many "fan interpretations" of the System Shock 2 soundtrack floating around, he decided to make the real one available, which he describes as, "real as in, 'ripped from a CD that Eric Brosius burned.'"

Combining hard-driving techno beats with ominous, "something out there is going to kill you" ambiance, the music contributed significantly to the alternating feelings of dread and manic fear that permeated the game.

Eric Brosius served as the audio director at Looking Glass Studios for four years, and along with System Shock 2, worked on projects including Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri, Descent 1 and 2, and perhaps most notably, the Thief series, one of the first and finest examples of the use of sound as an integral component of gameplay. Since the collapse of Looking Glass, Brosius has done work for Ion Storm and Harmonix Music Systems [http://www.irrationalgames.com/], an independent game developer notable for producing the Guitar Hero games.

The site states, "These are the real arrangements created by Eric himself, authored as full soundtrack songs and burned as an album." The songs are CD-quality, ripped from the original audio CD and encoded as 320 kbps MP3s.

The original download link to the soundtrack can be found MysteryDev's post [http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SOO1EQJO] on TTLG.

te2rx [deprecated]

Jul 19, 2006
Amazing. I love the SS2 soundtrack... to the point where I'm actually one of the many who put together an unofficial soundtrack (mine is that one floating around eMule with the original bonus track). The thing about SS2 is the music is stored in the game CD as a bunch of music loops -- reassembled into a coherent soundtrack during gameplay. The absence of a true arrangement left fans like myself to reassemble the loops into unofficial soundtracks. The music stored in the game was all 22khz so it's great to hear a for-real 44khz CD quality version. This semi-official CD even has little segments and fades that were not found in the game loops.

Man, this soundtrack in-game got your adrenaline going like nothing else. The combination of dreadful ambient and frantic jungle/techno was just brilliant. I miss the days when computer games had bold soundtracks like this one.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Only just came across this... amazing what you DO come across after years and years.

I bought this soundtrack when it first came out. Never yet come across a game with better sound design than "System Shock 2".

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
You know what would be better then the soundtrack for system shock? actually being able to play the game itself. Like that will ever happen :(

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Wait...what? I distinctly remember Brosius uploading a large number of tracks from the game (which I remember downloading and listening to) at SShock2 several years back - I'm pretty sure that release comprised the entirety of the in-game music. This just looks like a handful of new tracks that are longer versions of his original contributions.

Zeckt said:
You know what would be better then the soundtrack for system shock? actually being able to play the game itself. Like that will ever happen :(
Yeah, it's pretty much a certainty at this point that the game will never be officially released until they sort out that trademark crap with the insurance company that owns the brand name rights.

I like how TTLG had to state on their forums that the game shouldn't be pirated, yet EA doesn't want to do anything with the franchise whatsoever, and the only recourse if you want to play it is to download it illegally. They really have no idea what to do with their franchise - I'd love to see another publisher buy the rights from EA and Meadowbrook Insurance and put out a worthy successor.

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
crazyrabbits said:
Wait...what? I distinctly remember Brosius uploading a large number of tracks from the game (which I remember downloading and listening to) at SShock2 several years back - I'm pretty sure that release comprised the entirety of the in-game music. This just looks like a handful of new tracks that are longer versions of his original contributions.
This is probably that same release, this thread has been bumped from five years ago.