System Shock 3 In Development By Otherside Entertainment

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Thats a shock! I did not expect that. Lets hope they do a good job with the new version. The second Deus Ex game Human Revolution worked out ok after such a long time so hopefully this will too.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
bartholen said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Hmm...reviving old franchises, eh? Nothing like getting romantically acquainted with dipping into the ole barrel of nostalgia bait, is there?

Anyhow...Bioshock 3 has already been made and released years back! *Mic drop*
Actually no. Have you played System Shock 2? It holds up phenomenally well, and it ends on a massive cliffhanger, so there's more to this than just nostalgia bait. And as others pointed out, Bioshock was ultimately quite different, and much more simplified, from SS2.

I want this to be true, and I want it to succeed. But given the track record of revivals of old 90's PC gaming franchises, I'm not holding my breath. I would love to see the story continued, and to have that atmosphere succesfully created in modern graphics (or holy shit, imagine it in VR). Dead Space kinda tried it, but failed so hard it became almost comical.
I didn't want to urinate on anybody's fireworks, but it's three people now who didn't notice that it was the joke... ;) I'm aware of the whole shabbangle.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Because I never thought I would hear those words, let me express how I feel in a composed manner:

Now I just need to lower expectations to a safe level until we hear more about it.

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
Well, they will probably be working with an indie budget if they will use kickstarter, though for a horror game set in closed enviorments, it should't be far too taxing.

I'm still concerned about the story, no idea how they are going to continue it. Probably the FTL "malfunction" from the first game left a rip in reality where Von Braun used to be and a search team is send to investigate.

I wonder if they will make it an RPG life the second game or a metroidvania like first one or go in an entierly different direction.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Darth_Payn said:
Here's what they can do for a twist on that old trope: just don't do it. Have SHODAN or whoever lie about controlling the player from the beginning, when actually they were making shit up on the fly to react to whatever the player did.
Like, who's in control of who NOW, *****?!
That's pretty good, actually -- they can even have the pivotal moment look like an interactive cut-scene telling the player what buttons to hit, but the trick is that you don't have to do it, it's not really a cut-scene, and not doing what the on-screen commannds say is the key to winning. That's about the right level of meta for a shock game.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Want to see a trailer or anything first, to show they know what they are doing. For now I'll be indiffirent about this.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
alj said:
The second Deus Ex game Human Revolution worked out ok after such a long time so hopefully this will too.
The fact that Human Revolution is actually the third Deus Ex game goes to show just how well the second Deus Ex game really worked out...

/snicker @ Invisible War's expense

That and Human Revolution was backed by an established developer and an established publisher with AAA funding. That certainly helped.

Anyway, huge fan of SS2, but I'm not getting too excited just yet. I've wanted a SS3 for a long time now, but admittedly, not like this. As DaxStrife above commented, this could very well be Steam Greenlight level quality. There are too many things that could go wrong with this.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
What
Tuesday Night Fever said:
alj said:
The second Deus Ex game Human Revolution worked out ok after such a long time so hopefully this will too.
The fact that Human Revolution is actually the third Deus Ex game goes to show just how well the second Deus Ex game really worked out...

/snicker @ Invisible War's expense

That and Human Revolution was backed by an established developer and an established publisher with AAA funding. That certainly helped.

Anyway, huge fan of SS2, but I'm not getting too excited just yet. I've wanted a SS3 for a long time now, but admittedly, not like this. As DaxStrife above commented, this could very well be Steam Greenlight level quality. There are too many things that could go wrong with this.
Whats this invisible war you speak of :p