Tabletop games

MMETEORAGA1994

Jul 12, 2010
While there's alot of posts and threads about video games (as this is a site about videogames) I'd like to see what the fellow forum members play for tabletop games, whether it be a board, strategy or role-playing game, along with your reasons for liking it.

Mine is Risk, I really like the balance it strikes between 'a good strategy will get you far' and 'all your planning can be ruined by luck'. That in addition to the fact that one game can last for a really long time, and anywhere from 2 to 6 people can play at once. It's a really good party game if said party is up to the task of playing a 3+ hour game

EDIT: Card games do also count. I forgot to mention this at first, it completely slipped my mind.

OT, Apples to Apples is always a blast too

Eyelicker

Apr 8, 2010
Oh fuck yeah man, risk is totally my jam! It's the most fun/frustrating thing ever, nothing worse than trying to hold down Asia for those extra reinforcements while being hacked from all sides!

You ever played statego? That's a great tactical game as you have to really try and read your opponent from the start, probably the closest game that comes to all stategy and minimum luck.

In b4 this thread gets swamped with warhammers

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
I like Call of Cthulhu. It's like Risk, only instead of world conquering armies, you and your friends are a few hapless investigators.
And, instead of moving 12 armies into Irkutsk, you go nuts or get squished.

Both games are fun, though.

Swny Nerdgasm

Jul 31, 2010
Eyelicker said:
I never quite understood the people you played warhammer, hell in high school even the D&D nerds made fun of them

MMETEORAGA1994

Jul 12, 2010
Marmooset said:
I like Call of Cthulhu. It's like Risk, only instead of world conquering armies, you and your friends are a few hapless investigators.

Is it a board game or a role-playing game? Cuz I've heard of the rpg, never played either though. (I'm not really a fan of tabletop RPGs)

Eyelicker

Apr 8, 2010
Swny Nerdgasm said:
Eyelicker said:
I never quite understood the people you played warhammer, hell in high school even the D&D nerds made fun of them
haha, dont get me wrong, i love 40k! I just keep it on the down low when hanging out with chicks or anyone for the first time.

That said, if you can get most males away from female company, nomatter how they appear, most will have at some time in their life collected warhammers.

I was once at this bar talking about our armies with some friends (cos it's totally cool to go to a bar to discuss Eldar vs Space Marine tactics), and this bar dude, after making sure none of the bargirls were nearby, came and joined the discussion.

It's like some kind of secret uber nerdy boys club

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
MMETEORAGA1994 said:
Marmooset said:

Is it a board game or a role-playing game? Cuz I've heard of the rpg, never played either though. (I'm not really a fan of tabletop RPGs)
It's an RPG. But we did need a table, if only for the swiss cake rolls & mountain dew.

But if you're gonna be strict about the whole tabletop thingy, Talisman and Kings & Things are both hoots.

TheGrim1

Jul 11, 2010
I've always wanted to get into something like Warhammer, or D&D but never really have yet. Although I do paint some figures for both for some people that do at the local hobby shop. Perhaps I should join them one day?

Until then Risk was always my go to board game, that or good old Chess.

MMETEORAGA1994

Jul 12, 2010
Marmooset said:
MMETEORAGA1994 said:
Marmooset said:

It's an RPG. But we did need a table, if only for the swiss cake rolls & mountain dew.

But if you're gonna be strict about the whole tabletop thingy, Talisman and Kings & Things are both hoots.
Sorry about the confusion, RPGs do count as tabletop I was just confused because you compared it to Risk so I thought it was a different game. My experience with RPGs is limited to three sessions of D&D that nobody enjoyed.

It was really the players faults though not the gameplay itself

Swny Nerdgasm

Jul 31, 2010
Eyelicker said:
Swny Nerdgasm said:
Eyelicker said:
haha, dont get me wrong, i love 40k! I just keep it on the down low when hanging out with chicks or anyone for the first time.

That said, if you can get most males away from female company, nomatter how they appear, most will have at some time in their life collected warhammers.

I was once at this bar talking about our armies with some friends (cos it's totally cool to go to a bar to discuss Eldar vs Space Marine tactics), and this bar dude, after making sure none of the bargirls were nearby, came and joined the discussion.

Yeah same thing kind of happened to me when a bartender at a bar i was at recently recognized my tattoo from her D&D players handbook

Layz92

May 4, 2009
I collect 40k (play infrequently), I play Dark Heresy and D&D. Though I may try and get into a Shadowrun game some time soon.

The Afrodactyl

Jul 19, 2010
Eyelicker said:
Swny Nerdgasm said:
Eyelicker said:

Really? Most girls I know find it cute. (I don't tell them about the gaming though, just the painting)

Eyelicker

Apr 8, 2010
Lemon Detective said:
Eyelicker said:
Swny Nerdgasm said:
Eyelicker said:

Really? Most girls I know find it cute. (I don't tell them about the gaming though, just the painting)
As a first impression it gives many negative connotations you have to fight off.

Best wait until they've made up their mind

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
I played DnD with my friends once i was a wise cracking theif, truth be told we had no idea what we where doing.

My fav is Scrabble it takes smarts, somethin' i lack.

Mar 30, 2010
Marmooset said:
MMETEORAGA1994 said:
Marmooset said:

You might want to try Arkham Horror. It's a Cthulhu board game, where the players move around a board representing Arkham (strangely enough) trying to close down portals that keep opening before a Great Old One (picked at random at the start of the game) opens enough to enter the world himself. It's a great laugh, and my RP group play this on our Thursday sessions whenever one of us has to call off for whatever reason and the session gets cancelled at short notice. Don't tell my GM, but I prefer playing Arkham Horror!

fullbleed

Apr 30, 2008
Eyelicker said:
Swny Nerdgasm said:
Eyelicker said:

Lol I like this, I used to do a lot of 40K and Lord of the Rings but It's just too expensive and I can't keep up with all the rules. Plus if I ever wanted to play I'd have to go all the way into town with a box of minatures to stand around in room full of sweaty nerds in Iron Maiden shirts who smell of socks.

Mindex

Oct 26, 2008
Eyelicker said:
Oh fuck yeah man, risk is totally my jam! It's the most fun/frustrating thing ever, nothing worse than trying to hold down Asia for those extra reinforcements while being hacked from all sides!
Roll sixes. I was playing Risk with some friends once, and I was rolling the dice in a way so I would get sixes every time. I did it about seven times before they realized I was cheating.

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
Swny Nerdgasm said:
Eyelicker said:
That was never the case in my High School. Even the baseball team played Warhammer. It was kinda funny really. I do however regret playing D&D at lunch though. They still looked down on that. Although I've collected Warhammer (Fantasy and 40k) for over a decade now, I play MAYBE once or twice a year. I prefer painting them. My favorite tabletop/board game is called Skrall. Premise is Vikings in Space. It was only available for a few years but I have plenty of buddies who love it for the comparatively simple rules and high-strategy gameplay.

Eyelicker

Apr 8, 2010
Samwise137 said:
Swny Nerdgasm said:
Eyelicker said:
That was never the case in my High School. Even the baseball team played Warhammer. It was kinda funny really. I do however regret playing D&D at lunch though. They still looked down on that. Although I've collected Warhammer (Fantasy and 40k) for over a decade now, I play MAYBE once or twice a year. I prefer painting them. My favorite tabletop/board game is called Skrall. Premise is Vikings in Space. It was only available for a few years but I have plenty of buddies who love it for the comparatively simple rules and high-strategy gameplay.
BEST.SCHOOL.EVAR